Chicago ED 2011 Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
traehekat

Gold

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Post by traehekat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:59 pm

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:
missinglink wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:Out of curiosity, are people applying to Chicago ED planning on having only one or having two LORs from first semester profs?
Two lined up at the moment.
What's the consensus on here about it hurting to only have one? Also, my LoR is coming from one of the heads of our Law & Econ department who has a ton of connections at Chicago - would this help? Or is the prevailing theory LoR's just don't matter that much either way.
I've heard letters from Chicago alumni seem to be helpful, but I really don't think there is enough information out there to really tell. I tend to think it doesn't make that much of a difference, but you never know. I think it's more important that it is a solid letter, rather than who it is coming from.

I also have no idea whether only having one letter from a professor makes a difference. To stay consistent, I'll say I don't think it matters much, as long as they are good letters.

NakedPowerOrgan

Bronze

Post by NakedPowerOrgan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:49 pm

traehekat wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:
missinglink wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:Out of curiosity, are people applying to Chicago ED planning on having only one or having two LORs from first semester profs?
Two lined up at the moment.
What's the consensus on here about it hurting to only have one? Also, my LoR is coming from one of the heads of our Law & Econ department who has a ton of connections at Chicago - would this help? Or is the prevailing theory LoR's just don't matter that much either way.
I've heard letters from Chicago alumni seem to be helpful, but I really don't think there is enough information out there to really tell. I tend to think it doesn't make that much of a difference, but you never know. I think it's more important that it is a solid letter, rather than who it is coming from.

I also have no idea whether only having one letter from a professor makes a difference. To stay consistent, I'll say I don't think it matters much, as long as they are good letters.
Thanks! That's what I figured. A week and a half to go before things can be sent in. Good luck, everybody!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:02 pm

Application up tomorrow. I'm wrapping up the LORs and trying to get everything together for transcripts. I had to have my undergrad transcripts forwarded to LSAC to verify that I graduated before they will add my current law school to my list of institutions, which will then allow me to print off the transcript request form for my current school - kind of stupid, right? Anyone else have this issue?

I'm a little worried with how long all these is going to take. I sent my transcript request to my undergrad on Monday, so hopefully they will get those into LSAC sometime next week and I can then move on with getting my transcripts at my current school to LSAC. Ugh.

Oh yeah, still have to write that personal statement, too.

NakedPowerOrgan

Bronze

Post by NakedPowerOrgan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:52 pm

traehekat wrote:Application up tomorrow. I'm wrapping up the LORs and trying to get everything together for transcripts. I had to have my undergrad transcripts forwarded to LSAC to verify that I graduated before they will add my current law school to my list of institutions, which will then allow me to print off the transcript request form for my current school - kind of stupid, right? Anyone else have this issue?

I'm a little worried with how long all these is going to take. I sent my transcript request to my undergrad on Monday, so hopefully they will get those into LSAC sometime next week and I can then move on with getting my transcripts at my current school to LSAC. Ugh.

That's weird. I called LSAC, told them I couldn't add a new institution, and they told me to just have my law school send them a transcript with my LSAC number attached, and that I shouldn't worry about having the official form accompany the transcript like I did when applying to law schools.

As for me, everything was finished weeks ago. Just waiting for that app to become available. 8)

NakedPowerOrgan

Bronze

Post by NakedPowerOrgan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:58 pm

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:
traehekat wrote:Application up tomorrow. I'm wrapping up the LORs and trying to get everything together for transcripts. I had to have my undergrad transcripts forwarded to LSAC to verify that I graduated before they will add my current law school to my list of institutions, which will then allow me to print off the transcript request form for my current school - kind of stupid, right? Anyone else have this issue?

That's weird. I called LSAC, told them I couldn't add a new institution, and they told me to just have my law school send them a transcript with my LSAC number attached, and that I shouldn't worry about having the official form accompany the transcript like I did when applying to law schools.

As for me, everything was finished weeks ago. Just waiting for that app to become available. 8)
Just called LSAC and double checked with a different person. They told me that you didn't need to add the current law school to the list of institutions and that you don't need the transcript request form.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:20 pm

Good to know you don't need the transcript request form for law schools because I just ordered mine through our system and had it sent (although I think I forgot to put my LSAC number the request... oops).

Everything else is done, except one of my LOR's (and the prof already agreed; just have to get her the forms).

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:48 pm

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:

Just called LSAC and double checked with a different person. They told me that you didn't need to add the current law school to the list of institutions and that you don't need the transcript request form.
I think my issue was that when I emailed them to add the institution, I got a response saying there was a "discrepancy" regarding my academic records because my undergraduate transcripts on file for my degree granting school don't reflect that a degree was conferred. My school, like I'm every other one I'm sure, required students to verify conferral of degree upon graduation and update with final transcripts. I sent these to my school directly, not through LSAC (why would I use LSAC for that, you know?). So essentially I guess they were saying they needed to make sure I graduated, which is obviously stupid because I'm IN law school. Did you guy update LSAC with this info, or is this guy who responded to my email just ... "misinformed"?

EDIT: To add to my aggravation, I called LSAC about 10 minutes ago (5 min before they close for today, just got home from class) and I got a message saying they were already closed. Yeah, I know, it's only 5 minutes, and it's not like they are a store you can walk into or something, but c'mon. If it says you are taking calls until 4:45, then take call until 4:45.

NakedPowerOrgan

Bronze

Post by NakedPowerOrgan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:22 pm

traehekat wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:

I think my issue was that when I emailed them to add the institution, I got a response saying there was a "discrepancy" regarding my academic records because my undergraduate transcripts on file for my degree granting school don't reflect that a degree was conferred. My school, like I'm every other one I'm sure, required students to verify conferral of degree upon graduation and update with final transcripts. I sent these to my school directly, not through LSAC (why would I use LSAC for that, you know?). So essentially I guess they were saying they needed to make sure I graduated, which is obviously stupid because I'm IN law school. Did you guy update LSAC with this info, or is this guy who responded to my email just ... "misinformed"?

EDIT: To add to my aggravation, I called LSAC about 10 minutes ago (5 min before they close for today, just got home from class) and I got a message saying they were already closed. Yeah, I know, it's only 5 minutes, and it's not like they are a store you can walk into or something, but c'mon. If it says you are taking calls until 4:45, then take call until 4:45.
I never updated LSAC with my final transcript. The only people that have proof that I graduated is my current law school. I mentioned this to LSAC and they were fine not having anything that showed that I graduate - the lady was like, "uhhhh, the law school let you in, right? that seems to be pretty strong proof that you've graduated - don't mess with it."

DeSimone

Bronze

Post by DeSimone » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:08 am

Anyone complete yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:48 am

DeSimone wrote:Anyone complete yet?
Still waiting on my LOR's and transcript to get into LSAC :(.

NakedPowerOrgan

Bronze

Post by NakedPowerOrgan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:00 am

Nothing here....
keg411 wrote:
Yeah, I was surprised by how long they took with mine. I thought LSAC would have all kinds of time on their hands and be able to speed things through, but not the case.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:01 pm

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Yeah, I was surprised by how long they took with mine. I thought LSAC would have all kinds of time on their hands and be able to speed things through, but not the case.
ugh, that makes me nervous. my professors probably won't send the letters for another couple days, and my transcripts are still en route.

NakedPowerOrgan

Bronze

Post by NakedPowerOrgan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:21 pm

traehekat wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:
keg411 wrote:
ugh, that makes me nervous. my professors probably won't send the letters for another couple days, and my transcripts are still en route.
fwiw, I think LSAC officially received the letters 10-11 days after they were sent (and they were sent on a monday, so only 2 of those days should have been when the LSAC office was closed); you should be fine as long as they're sent this week or the next. In hindsight, 10-11 days isn't bad, I just thought it shouldn't have taken that long to essentially open an envelope, enter the info in my file, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:10 pm

I'm more worried about my transcript and will probably call the office tomorrow. I'm 99% sure at least one of my LOR's will be in on time. But I doubt my app will get in before the last week of April even though everything else is set.

NakedPowerOrgan

Bronze

Post by NakedPowerOrgan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:29 pm

I don't know if I've mentioned this on here or not, but the people I talked to on the phone about not having to update my final UG transcript were both wrong. I got an e-mail from them letting me know that I had to send in my final UG transcript for everything to process okay. I guess the moral of the story is to triple-check your info when dealing with LSAC.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:41 pm

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:I don't know if I've mentioned this on here or not, but the people I talked to on the phone about not having to update my final UG transcript were both wrong. I got an e-mail from them letting me know that I had to send in my final UG transcript for everything to process okay. I guess the moral of the story is to triple-check your info when dealing with LSAC.
ya i hate them so much. i called LSAC yesterday and he said to just send it in and it will be fine, and then i added i was worried about everything getting in on time because i got an email about not having my UG transcripts updated, and he was then like "ooohhh ya... we need that."

but you can send in your current law transcripts while your UG is sending your updated transcript to save some time, i guess. ugh. people weren't kidding about transferring being kind of a pain in the ass when you are also trying to study for finals.

NakedPowerOrgan

Bronze

Post by NakedPowerOrgan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:53 pm

traehekat wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:I don't know if I've mentioned this on here or not, but the people I talked to on the phone about not having to update my final UG transcript were both wrong. I got an e-mail from them letting me know that I had to send in my final UG transcript for everything to process okay. I guess the moral of the story is to triple-check your info when dealing with LSAC.
ya i hate them so much. i called LSAC yesterday and he said to just send it in and it will be fine, and then i added i was worried about everything getting in on time because i got an email about not having my UG transcripts updated, and he was then like "ooohhh ya... we need that."
Yeah, that's the same message I got without the latter "ooohhh ya... we need that." :|

And it was two different people. After the second person reaffirmed the first, I even laughed at myself for being so neurotic about everything being in order.

I guess LSAC is there for all those NYLS/Touro grads who can't cut it as Lexis reps.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:57 pm

At least that's one thing I don't need to worry about :lol:. My law transcript is the problem.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:02 pm

traehekat wrote:So essentially I guess they were saying they needed to make sure I graduated, which is obviously stupid because I'm IN law school. Did you guy update LSAC with this info, or is this guy who responded to my email just ... "misinformed"?
This exact thing happened to me. Pretty annoying. Especially since I had to send a letter to my UG requesting a transcript to be sent to LSAC, so essentially had to wait for two mailings and two processing periods. Takes a little while but the good thing is that even if your law school transcript gets there first they automatically update your profile thingy once the final UG transcript arrives (at least they did for me).

NakedPowerOrgan

Bronze

Post by NakedPowerOrgan » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:55 pm

Oh, I forgot about updating here. Went complete on the 8th.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:28 pm

Turned out my school DID screw up my transcript :(.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:39 pm

keg411 wrote:Turned out my school DID screw up my transcript :(.
??

EDIT: To update, my UG transcript update was processed. Now I'm waiting for my law school transcript to get there. My LORs should be en route, as well.

Hopefully what Jayme from the admissions office said about it not mattering when you apply for ED is true.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:23 pm

traehekat wrote:
??

EDIT: To update, my UG transcript update was processed. Now I'm waiting for my law school transcript to get there. My LORs should be en route, as well.

Hopefully what Jayme from the admissions office said about it not mattering when you apply for ED is true.
Basically I ordered one from online to be sent to LSAC... and they never sent it and claimed they "never received the request" and then acted shady. Everything is processed through the undergrad which is a totally separate campus, so it's not my school being shady, just incompetent.

Anyway, I got a sealed copy and just mailed it to LSAC myself. Still waiting on my LOR's, but they should be there in time. I hope.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:43 pm

keg411 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
??

Basically I ordered one from online to be sent to LSAC... and they never sent it and claimed they "never received the request" and then acted shady. Everything is processed through the undergrad which is a totally separate campus, so it's not my school being shady, just incompetent.

Anyway, I got a sealed copy and just mailed it to LSAC myself. Still waiting on my LOR's, but they should be there in time. I hope.
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing. I ordered my transcript online the other day and I'm always a bit skeptical of these kinds of things. I'll probably call tomorrow to verify it has been sent, or will be in next couple days.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:53 pm

welp, transcript arrived no problem. just waiting for LORs to get there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”