Chicago ED 2011 Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
missinglink

Silver

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Post by missinglink » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:20 pm

Well that lifts my spirits. :D

I'll turn to the draft of my "why chicago" statement after I finish reviewing homicide. On a completely unrelated note, I found this much easier to write than my first personal statement for law school.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:50 pm

missinglink wrote:I'm expecting to (hopefully) hoping to get deferred.
FTFM :) :lol:.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:36 pm

keg411 wrote:
:oops:

I've spent too much time buried in my outlines the last week. The grammar in there is atrocious.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:40 am

missinglink wrote:
keg411 wrote:
:oops:

I've spent too much time buried in my outlines the last week. The grammar in there is atrocious.
I wasn't correcting your grammar... I just don't want Chi to outright reject me, which I fear they will.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:46 am

still haven't submitted, totally hear ya about it being tough to work on stuff with finals. i've had everything ready for a while now, just holding off on submitting until i get a bit more feedback on PS and make a couple changes. i feel guilty that maybe i didn't work on it as much as i should have, but i just have limited time so it was really impossible with school and some other stuff going on.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:55 am

traehekat wrote:still haven't submitted, totally hear ya about it being tough to work on stuff with finals. i've had everything ready for a while now, just holding off on submitting until i get a bit more feedback on PS and make a couple changes. i feel guilty that maybe i didn't work on it as much as i should have, but i just have limited time so it was really impossible with school and some other stuff going on.
Too true. If it wasn't bad enough, I committed to some 15 hours of pro bono work for the second half of the semester.

It's always hard to make the time. And now with finals time is really at a premium!

There's really no harm in holding off until the deadline to submit. As far as I understand, they don't look at applications until a little while into May. Except of course for whatever special circumstances led to the early acceptance in earlier in this thread. (Congrats btw!)

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:46 pm

I still haven't been able to get confirmation from the Records office that they emailed the supplemental form I gave them to Chicago admissions.

To make matters worse, I'm not sure they could do that today. Apparently our school network is down, which is obviously wreaking havoc on final exams scheduled for today. That goes for the email system too.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:29 pm

missinglink wrote:
traehekat wrote:still haven't submitted, totally hear ya about it being tough to work on stuff with finals. i've had everything ready for a while now, just holding off on submitting until i get a bit more feedback on PS and make a couple changes. i feel guilty that maybe i didn't work on it as much as i should have, but i just have limited time so it was really impossible with school and some other stuff going on.
Too true. If it wasn't bad enough, I committed to some 15 hours of pro bono work for the second half of the semester.

It's always hard to make the time. And now with finals time is really at a premium!

There's really no harm in holding off until the deadline to submit. As far as I understand, they don't look at applications until a little while into May. Except of course for whatever special circumstances led to the early acceptance in earlier in this thread. (Congrats btw!)
I just went complete today. From the status checker email: "The Admissions Committee reads applications on a rolling basis in the order that files are completed." Assuming that the info is correct, I'd recommend submitting your apps ASAP.

tycho_brahe

New

Post by tycho_brahe » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:30 pm

just went complete today. good luck everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NakedPowerOrgan

Bronze

Post by NakedPowerOrgan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:32 pm

JOThompson wrote:
missinglink wrote:

I just went complete today. From the status checker email: "The Admissions Committee reads applications on a rolling basis in the order that files are completed." Assuming that the info is correct, I'd recommend submitting your apps ASAP.
Somebody else who applied Chicago ED told me around a week ago that they went under review. Don't know if they've received a decision yet.

tycho_brahe

New

Post by tycho_brahe » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:34 pm

JOThompson wrote:
missinglink wrote:

My e-mail said that as well. However, the e-mail didn't mention anything about transfer applications, so it could be just the generic status checker e-mail, and their reference to rolling only applies to regular applicants. Also, everyone found out at the same time last year (according to these boards) so that doesn't sound very "rolling" to me. Still though, that's what the e-mail said.

EDIT: actually, the e-mail did mention transfer applications.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:07 pm

I'm under review as of 4/26. I hadn't even bothered looking at my status checker until today.
Auto-rejects? :lol:.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:45 pm

Well damn, I was operating under the assumption that they didn't start looking at them until the deadline. :|

I still haven't been able to get confirmation from Records that they emailed the form. No one is answering the phone or replying to my emails.

How did you all handle that short supplemental form? Was it as seemingly difficult for you as it appears to be for me to get someone to care about it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tycho_brahe

New

Post by tycho_brahe » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:03 pm

missinglink wrote:Well damn, I was operating under the assumption that they didn't start looking at them until the deadline. :|

I still haven't been able to get confirmation from Records that they emailed the form. No one is answering the phone or replying to my emails.

How did you all handle that short supplemental form? Was it as seemingly difficult for you as it appears to be for me to get someone to care about it?
I just talked with our dean of student affairs and he took care of it for me, getting it to the registrar and all that.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:06 pm

missinglink wrote:How did you all handle that short supplemental form? Was it as seemingly difficult for you as it appears to be for me to get someone to care about it?
Brought it to the dean of students and she just sent it all out. I actually had that done before my app was in....

zcc2012

New

Post by zcc2012 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:39 pm

Good luck everyone! (I transferred to UChicago. Easily one of the most awesome decisions I've made. Ever. If anybody has any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.)

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:08 am

keg411 wrote:
missinglink wrote:How did you all handle that short supplemental form? Was it as seemingly difficult for you as it appears to be for me to get someone to care about it?
Brought it to the dean of students and she just sent it all out. I actually had that done before my app was in....
How did they handle the whole "receive the hardcopy" and then email it? Scanner? I've never been in the bowels of the admin offices, so I assume they have scanners.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:42 am

If anyone has any questions about the early decision process, feel free to send me a PM: happy to answer any questions (I'm a current 3L, transfered via early decision the first year they had the program, so things may have changed slightly).

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:53 am

missinglink wrote:
keg411 wrote:
How did they handle the whole "receive the hardcopy" and then email it? Scanner? I've never been in the bowels of the admin offices, so I assume they have scanners.
I have no idea. I just gave her the forms and instructions and she sent everything out (I actually gave her the forms for Chicago/Berkeley/Georgetown together since those are the apps I needed/need to get out pre-spring grades; though I didn't do Georgetown EA).

Since I'm "under review" I'm guessing everything was done properly.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:21 am

missinglink wrote:
keg411 wrote:
yeah i asked about this too, they just confirmed they would be able to scan it and then email it. my school was actually nice enough to send me what they would send chicago first to double check it looked okay with me and then they cc'ed me when they did email it to confirm it was sent.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:44 pm

I was able to confirm the form was sent out earlier in the week. Although by the way the person at Records was describing, it almost sounded as if he had mailed it, not emailed it. He did tell me that if there was a problem, he could fax another copy ASAP.

Odd that the second option that he mentioned, like mailing it, also involved a means of communication that the form did not mention. :|

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tycho_brahe

New

Post by tycho_brahe » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:10 pm

went under review yesterday, apparently. looking at last year's thread, people didn't go under review until well into may. hoping this means decisions are going to be sent out earlier.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:47 pm

tycho_brahe wrote:went under review yesterday, apparently. looking at last year's thread, people didn't go under review until well into may. hoping this means decisions are going to be sent out earlier.
also under review as of 4/28. kinda nice since i submitted on 4/27 ;x.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:41 pm

I'm under review as of today too. Good luck, everyone.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:35 pm

Dumb question of the day: Is the 4/30 deadline meant by midnight at the end of 4/30?

Some deadlines I've encountered will have some random time during the day. I'm just putting the final touches on my PS, but didn't want to make the stupid mistake of missing the deadline. :oops:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”