Chicago ED 2011 Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
keg411

Platinum

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Post by keg411 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:23 pm

My stuff is (finally) properly on its way to LSAC too. BTW, I also know that from where I am it takes about a day for stuff to get there so everything will hopefully get processed pretty quickly.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:04 pm

keg411 wrote:My stuff is (finally) properly on its way to LSAC too. BTW, I also know that from where I am it takes about a day for stuff to get there so everything will hopefully get processed pretty quickly.
they were pretty quick with my transcript, but one of my letters was sent 8 days ago and im still waiting for it to be processed (im ASSUMING it has arrived).

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:32 pm

traehekat wrote:
keg411 wrote:My stuff is (finally) properly on its way to LSAC too. BTW, I also know that from where I am it takes about a day for stuff to get there so everything will hopefully get processed pretty quickly.
they were pretty quick with my transcript, but one of my letters was sent 8 days ago and im still waiting for it to be processed (im ASSUMING it has arrived).
Turned out the transcript issue was my fault :oops: :oops: .
I know one of my LOR's went out today, not sure about the other. Worst case, I just send the one to Chi.

ETA: LOR's in :D.

NakedPowerOrgan

Bronze

Post by NakedPowerOrgan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:50 pm

Accepted and attending (my admissions office was in contact with Chicago's office and had them speed up the process due to some special circumstances). Good luck, everybody! Hope to see a lot of you in the fall.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:17 pm

submitted my app on 4/1, still incomplete since 4/5. It says to allow 2-3 weeks to get the LSDAS report and they haven't said "my file is otherwise incomplete" but I'm starting to get a bit worried.

anyone else have this problem?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:52 pm

quiver wrote:submitted my app on 4/1, still incomplete since 4/5. It says to allow 2-3 weeks to get the LSDAS report and they haven't said "my file is otherwise incomplete" but I'm starting to get a bit worried.

Mine says that, but I submitted like yesterday.
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:Accepted and attending (my admissions office was in contact with Chicago's office and had them speed up the process due to some special circumstances). Good luck, everybody! Hope to see a lot of you in the fall.
Wow! Congrats. I thought Chicago didn't do rolling admissions.

lawloser22

Bronze

Post by lawloser22 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:46 pm

quiver wrote:submitted my app on 4/1, still incomplete since 4/5. It says to allow 2-3 weeks to get the LSDAS report and they haven't said "my file is otherwise incomplete" but I'm starting to get a bit worried.

Yes, same here.
Last edited by lawloser22 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:49 pm

lawloser22 wrote:Yes, actually. A few days ago I double-checked the web page to make sure I hadn't missed anything and came across the latter part of this gem:

"Law school transcript (sent through LSAC for processing)"

I had sent in my transcript directly, so up until this moment I'd been chalking it up to needing to send one in to LSAC. Did you send yours through LSAC?
hmmm. yeah mine was sent through LSAC to begin with. At the bottom of the status checker it says they'll let you know if your application is incomplete but I haven't gotten anything like that. Bad sign?

lawloser22

Bronze

Post by lawloser22 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:59 pm

quiver wrote:
lawloser22 wrote:Yes, actually. A few days ago I double-checked the web page to make sure I hadn't missed anything and came across the latter part of this gem:

"Law school transcript (sent through LSAC for processing)"

I had sent in my transcript directly, so up until this moment I'd been chalking it up to needing to send one in to LSAC. Did you send yours through LSAC?
hmmm. yeah mine was sent through LSAC to begin with. At the bottom of the status checker it says they'll let you know if your application is incomplete but I haven't gotten anything like that. Bad sign?
It does say "Transfer Application Received" under mailings, shows your letters under LORs, and shows you paid the fee, right? You can always check the report LSAC sent and make sure everything was in there, make sure your law school submitted the information sheet, and/or call/email admissions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:55 pm

quiver wrote:It does say "Transfer Application Received" under mailings, shows your letters under LORs, and shows you paid the fee, right? You can always check the report LSAC sent and make sure everything was in there, make sure your law school submitted the information sheet, and/or call/email admissions.
Yup, has all that. I may call admissions tomorrow. Could it really just be them waiting for the LSDAS report? It doesn't make sense to me since, if the deadline is 4/30 and LSDAS reports take 2-3 weeks to get there after submission, how are they gonna start handing out decisions in May? Rolling as stuff comes in?

lawloser22

Bronze

Post by lawloser22 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:05 am

quiver wrote:
quiver wrote:It does say "Transfer Application Received" under mailings, shows your letters under LORs, and shows you paid the fee, right? You can always check the report LSAC sent and make sure everything was in there, make sure your law school submitted the information sheet, and/or call/email admissions.
Yup, has all that. I may call admissions tomorrow. Could it really just be them waiting for the LSDAS report? It doesn't make sense to me since, if the deadline is 4/30 and LSDAS reports take 2-3 weeks to get there after submission, how are they gonna start handing out decisions in May? Rolling as stuff comes in?
I don't think it's the LSDAS report -- at least for me, that was sent on the same day as the 'application received' date. You can check the date and what was sent (or perhaps not sent) by logging into lsac: apply -> report status (and) apply -> applications -> lsac completed

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:24 am

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:Accepted and attending (my admissions office was in contact with Chicago's office and had them speed up the process due to some special circumstances). Good luck, everybody! Hope to see a lot of you in the fall.
Woah, congrats!

edit: everything is in now, just gotta put finish touches on PS. won't lie, im a little anxious now that someone was already accepted.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:01 am

traehekat wrote:
Woah, congrats!

edit: everything is in now, just gotta put finish touches on PS. won't lie, im a little anxious now that someone was already accepted.
You have the exact type of school/rank Chicago wants. Just relax :).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:37 am

keg411 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Woah, congrats!

You have the exact type of school/rank Chicago wants. Just relax :).
haha i think im mostly freaking out because i had a massive crisis yesterday with my computer. thing just wouldn't turn on, all of my outline/notes/etc. were on it. took it to staples and they said i would have to send it in, could be 2-3 weeks before i got it back. my heart sank and ill almost freaked out right there in the store. luckily i was able to get the files i need off the hard drive and rent a laptop from this local place, but god, i was on the verge of disaster.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:44 am

traehekat wrote:haha i think im mostly freaking out because i had a massive crisis yesterday with my computer. thing just wouldn't turn on, all of my outline/notes/etc. were on it. took it to staples and they said i would have to send it in, could be 2-3 weeks before i got it back. my heart sank and ill almost freaked out right there in the store. luckily i was able to get the files i need off the hard drive and rent a laptop from this local place, but god, i was on the verge of disaster.
Understandable. If that happened to me, I'd probably still be crying.

psamp1024

New

Post by psamp1024 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:46 pm

I recommend storing notes and papers on Dropbox or a similar cloud service. That way they are not tied to a particular computer.

DeSimone

Bronze

Post by DeSimone » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:41 pm

traehekat wrote:im a little anxious now that someone was already accepted.
Another way of looking at it, of course, is that one ED spot is already taken, which leaves ~2-3 more to go around.

:mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

psamp1024

New

Post by psamp1024 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:44 pm

I would encourage everyone to relax, also. There is a lot of anxiety on these boards (in particular in the Georgetown EA thread).

I am a 2L at Chicago. It is fine here. But it is also fine at many other very good schools, and you will have just about as many opportunities at other schools. Some of the most successful lawyers went to what these boards would consider awful schools.

Do not forget to take a moment out of your day while waiting for these admissions decisions to realize that. It is 10000x more important to do well at a school than to get into one. But this forum seems to teach the opposite mentality. (Not just this board but all of the TLS boards.)

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:43 pm

DeSimone wrote:
traehekat wrote:im a little anxious now that someone was already accepted.
Another way of looking at it, of course, is that one ED spot is already taken, which leaves ~2-3 more to go around.

:mrgreen:
no thats what i mean, anxious in a BAD way (like oh god only a few spots left). but yeah i gotta chill, i feel so stressed lately. im glad my school gives us a ton of time for the writing competition. i can sit back and do nothing for a few days and not be worried.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:25 pm

psamp1024 wrote:I would encourage everyone to relax, also. There is a lot of anxiety on these boards (in particular in the Georgetown EA thread).

I am a 2L at Chicago. It is fine here. But it is also fine at many other very good schools, and you will have just about as many opportunities at other schools. Some of the most successful lawyers went to what these boards would consider awful schools.

Do not forget to take a moment out of your day while waiting for these admissions decisions to realize that. It is 10000x more important to do well at a school than to get into one. But this forum seems to teach the opposite mentality. (Not just this board but all of the TLS boards.)
I'm sure a lot of what is going on in the Georgetown thread is exam stress. The pressure to "repeat" on top of regular exam pressure can make people go crazy. Personally, now that my stuff is into LSAC, I'm way more concerned about exam then about transfer admissions at this point; I'm just grateful that I even have a chance at a T14 transfer after my first semester :). (I also didn't apply to Georgetown EA).

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:38 pm

Submitting my package in the coming days. It's been a challenge to work on everything with finals and all.

One of my recommenders got everything a while ago. The other lost the LSAC form, and I just got it to him again. Best case scenario is it goes out in the mail tomorrow. Do you think that's enough time for LSAC to process it, or am I screwed? I could always submit with one letter I suppose, but this was my best class overall.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NakedPowerOrgan

Bronze

Post by NakedPowerOrgan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:51 pm

missinglink wrote: One of my recommenders got everything a while ago. The other lost the LSAC form, and I just got it to him again. Best case scenario is it goes out in the mail tomorrow. Do you think that's enough time for LSAC to process it, or am I screwed? I could always submit with one letter I suppose, but this was my best class overall.
I don't think it's going to get processed in time, but who knows (they were not very speedy with mine). If I were you, I might think about submitting your app with just one LS LOR along with one UG LOR, and then updating your application once the other LS LOR comes in. I think you should be able to get away with that. Worst case scenario I guess would be them not considering the updated LOR for ED if it doesn't come in time, but looking at it if you're deferred to RD (yes, I know that worst case scenario might be a rejection, but I very seriously doubt one LOR would have that effect). I should add that I got accepted with one LS LOR and one UG GPA, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. LOR's really play a very minor role in transfer admissions.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:56 pm

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:
missinglink wrote: One of my recommenders got everything a while ago. The other lost the LSAC form, and I just got it to him again. Best case scenario is it goes out in the mail tomorrow. Do you think that's enough time for LSAC to process it, or am I screwed? I could always submit with one letter I suppose, but this was my best class overall.
I don't think it's going to get processed in time, but who knows (they were not very speedy with mine). If I were you, I might think about submitting your app with just one LS LOR along with one UG LOR, and then updating your application once the other LS LOR comes in. I think you should be able to get away with that. Worst case scenario I guess would be them not considering the updated LOR for ED if it doesn't come in time, but looking at it if you're deferred to RD (yes, I know that worst case scenario might be a rejection, but I very seriously doubt one LOR would have that effect). I should add that I got accepted with one LS LOR and one UG GPA, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. LOR's really play a very minor role in transfer admissions.
Agree. Potential benefits outweigh potential drawbacks.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks for the replies. If it doesn't look like it'll be processed in time, I'll submit with old recommendations. Luckily I've got one stored from a Chicago professor, so that might help. I'll send Chicago's admissions office a note too about the situation. It might be possible to have the letter forwarded to Chicago before they actually sit down to look at applications, depending on whether that's even possible.

I'm a little miffed that it came to this, however. I did all the legwork for the LORs in late January, thinking that would leave plenty of time.

I'm expecting to (hopefully) get deferred. My school doesn't rank after 1st semester, so I think that puts me at a disadvantage. Safer on Chicago's part to just defer and see where I stand after a year.

NakedPowerOrgan

Bronze

Post by NakedPowerOrgan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:07 pm

missinglink wrote:Thanks for the replies. If it doesn't look like it'll be processed in time, I'll submit with old recommendations. Luckily I've got one stored from a Chicago professor, so that might help. I'll send Chicago's admissions office a note too about the situation. It might be possible to have the letter forwarded to Chicago before they actually sit down to look at applications, depending on whether that's even possible.

I'm a little miffed that it came to this, however. I did all the legwork for the LORs in late January, thinking that would leave plenty of time.

I'm expecting to (hopefully) get deferred. My school doesn't rank after 1st semester, so I think that puts me at a disadvantage. Safer on Chicago's part to just defer and see where I stand after a year.
My school doesn't rank until graduation......

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”