Chicago ED 2011 Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
DeSimone
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby DeSimone » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:00 am

I noticed they updated the dates on their website. Looks like they will start taking apps a little later this year - on April 1.

I wish I could just send it now..

User avatar
NakedPowerOrgan
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby NakedPowerOrgan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:44 pm

Count me in.
Last edited by NakedPowerOrgan on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:13 pm

T2 top 3-5% going to make a run at it. I know my chances are probably 10% at best, but I want to force myself to get all of my recs and everything taken care of before exams, and since I'm not applying to GULC, Chicago gives me a reason to do it.

I'm also pretty set on Corporate work as an immediate goal after law school, so I think Chi would be a good fit overall (even though I want to practice in the Northeast). Also, I'd like to teach Legal Research and Writing or get involved in Law School Administration once I'm old and burnt out of Corporate work ( :lol: ), so I know going to a school that has strong academia ties will be helpful (even if I'm not interested in traditional academia).

User avatar
NakedPowerOrgan
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby NakedPowerOrgan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Out of curiosity, are people applying to Chicago ED planning on having only one or having two LORs from first semester profs?

User avatar
DeSimone
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby DeSimone » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Does anyone know when they actually start reviewing applications?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:35 pm

DeSimone wrote:Does anyone know when they actually start reviewing applications?


It says on the website (just happened to be on there because I'm working on my PS :lol:) that apps will be accepted from April 1 to April 30 and they make decisions in May. Doesn't say anywhere if ED admissions are rolling, but I'm going to try to get my stuff in as early as possible.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:36 pm

Going to spend a little time during spring break working on the personal statement. Chicago is pretty much my dream school. I love where I am at now, but I would be ecstatic to be at Chicago next year.

Good luck to everyone!

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:38 pm

keg411 wrote:
DeSimone wrote:Does anyone know when they actually start reviewing applications?


It says on the website (just happened to be on there because I'm working on my PS :lol:) that apps will be accepted from April 1 to April 30 and they make decisions in May. Doesn't say anywhere if ED admissions are rolling, but I'm going to try to get my stuff in as early as possible.


ED is not rolling from what I have been told. They don't look at anything until May, mainly because they are still pretty busy with regular admissions. Regular transfer admission, however, is rolling and apparently it is pretty important to have your application in early.

I was also told that ED doesn't really give you a better chance at admission, unlike in undergrad, FWIW.
Last edited by traehekat on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DeSimone
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby DeSimone » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:40 pm

keg411 wrote:
DeSimone wrote:Does anyone know when they actually start reviewing applications?


It says on the website (just happened to be on there because I'm working on my PS :lol:) that apps will be accepted from April 1 to April 30 and they make decisions in May. Doesn't say anywhere if ED admissions are rolling, but I'm going to try to get my stuff in as early as possible.

My guess is that they are not rolling. They only admit ~5 people ED. I think the phone calls were made on the same day last year.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:26 pm

I didn't think so, but I wasn't sure. I know they pretty much accept no one. Also, I didn't think you can get a bump of any sort during transfer admissions. Either you have the grades and can sell the school on "Why X" and "Why transfer" or you can't.

traekehat, I think with your grades coming from your school you have an EXCELLENT chance at Chicago, ED or RD.

User avatar
NakedPowerOrgan
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby NakedPowerOrgan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:45 pm

I just talked to a friend at UChicago Law and he said that there's talk among the students that since the class was so overenrolled, there's a strong possibility that no transfers will end up being accepted. :shock:

User avatar
DeSimone
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby DeSimone » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:48 pm

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:I just talked to a friend at UChicago Law and he said that there's talk among the students that since the class was so overenrolled, there's a strong possibility that no transfers will end up being accepted. :shock:

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
NakedPowerOrgan
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby NakedPowerOrgan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:53 pm

DeSimone wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:I just talked to a friend at UChicago Law and he said that there's talk among the students that since the class was so overenrolled, there's a strong possibility that no transfers will end up being accepted. :shock:

--ImageRemoved--


That was my reaction. He said something to the effect that the class size now is just as large (if not larger) than it typically is with the new transfers included. I told him that I didn't think it would matter as much for non-1L classes. He said that the school keeps a very close watch on its student/faculty ratio and definitely places a higher importance on that than other schools. So it would end up hurting them after all. Looks like not a good year to want to go to Chicago. damn

Sesame_Jesus
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby Sesame_Jesus » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:25 pm

[quote="NakedPowerOrgan"]He said something to the effect that the class size now is just as large (if not larger) than it typically is with the new transfers included. He said that the school keeps a very close watch on its student/faculty ratio and definitely places a higher importance on that than other schools. So it would end up hurting them after all./quote]

For what it's worth, have heard the same thing.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:22 am

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:I just talked to a friend at UChicago Law and he said that there's talk among the students that since the class was so overenrolled, there's a strong possibility that no transfers will end up being accepted. :shock:


I spoke with admissions during my visit and was informed that the class was indeed overenrolled and they will be taking fewer transfers this year, but certainly not ZERO. I was told it will be more like 10-15 instead of 20-25. I guess the class is at 200 or so now and they usually shoot for around 180 for entering classes.

User avatar
NakedPowerOrgan
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby NakedPowerOrgan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:31 am

traehekat wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:I just talked to a friend at UChicago Law and he said that there's talk among the students that since the class was so overenrolled, there's a strong possibility that no transfers will end up being accepted. :shock:


I spoke with admissions during my visit and was informed that the class was indeed overenrolled and they will be taking fewer transfers this year, but certainly not ZERO. I was told it will be more like 10-15 instead of 20-25. I guess the class is at 200 or so now and they usually shoot for around 180 for entering classes.


Well, I would certainly take their word over rumors being spread among current 1L's. Still. 10-15 is going to be tough. If the ED proportions hold true this year as much as they have previously, doesn't this mean that maybe only two or three people are going to be taken ED?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:39 am

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:
traehekat wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:I just talked to a friend at UChicago Law and he said that there's talk among the students that since the class was so overenrolled, there's a strong possibility that no transfers will end up being accepted. :shock:


I spoke with admissions during my visit and was informed that the class was indeed overenrolled and they will be taking fewer transfers this year, but certainly not ZERO. I was told it will be more like 10-15 instead of 20-25. I guess the class is at 200 or so now and they usually shoot for around 180 for entering classes.


Well, I would certainly take their word over rumors being spread among current 1L's. Still. 10-15 is going to be tough. If the ED proportions hold true this year as much as they have previously, doesn't this mean that maybe only two or three people are going to be taken ED?


Proooobably. I can't see them taking more than 5 (they have taken ~5 for ED in the past, right?). 2-3 would seem to make sense.

keg411 wrote:traekehat, I think with your grades coming from your school you have an EXCELLENT chance at Chicago, ED or RD.


thnx keg, i hope so! whatever they are, i can't imagine your chances are any worse than mine.

*sigh* can't believe i actually have to sit down and right a personal statement again...

User avatar
NakedPowerOrgan
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby NakedPowerOrgan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:41 am

traehekat wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:
traehekat wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:I just talked to a friend at UChicago Law and he said that there's talk among the students that since the class was so overenrolled, there's a strong possibility that no transfers will end up being accepted. :shock:


I spoke with admissions during my visit and was informed that the class was indeed overenrolled and they will be taking fewer transfers this year, but certainly not ZERO. I was told it will be more like 10-15 instead of 20-25. I guess the class is at 200 or so now and they usually shoot for around 180 for entering classes.


Well, I would certainly take their word over rumors being spread among current 1L's. Still. 10-15 is going to be tough. If the ED proportions hold true this year as much as they have previously, doesn't this mean that maybe only two or three people are going to be taken ED?


Proooobably. I can't see them taking more than 5 (they have taken ~5 for ED in the past, right?). 2-3 would seem to make sense.

*sigh* can't believe i actually have to sit down and right a personal statement again...


Yeah, that makes sense to me too.

Best of luck. I feel your pain with the personal statement (although I spent more angst over asking for a LOR, the PS definitely sucked up more of my time and energy).

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:01 am

traehekat wrote:thnx keg, i hope so! whatever they are, i can't imagine your chances are any worse than mine.

*sigh* can't believe i actually have to sit down and right a personal statement again...


With the new info, I may just wait until Chicago RD instead of doing the ED to see if they are even taking people. Don't have the $$ to waste and I think I'm too much of a long shot.

But I do have a PS draft down, so if you want to swap feel free to PM me :). I also have about 8 more to write :(.

User avatar
DeSimone
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby DeSimone » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:50 am

I too thought that I was done with this PS writing shit for good. By far the most frustrating part of my process (so far). LOR's went surprisingly smoothly. One prof wasn't completely cool with the idea of transferring, but agreed nonetheless. The other was extremely helpful and understanding.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:24 pm

keg411 wrote:
With the new info, I may just wait until Chicago RD instead of doing the ED to see if they are even taking people. Don't have the $$ to waste and I think I'm too much of a long shot.


You should still apply, keg. It's not a ton of money (you'll pay the same for an app RD I think). Also, it's probably the case that they'll take the same number of ED students and less RD students if they're cutting down (unless they've told you guys otherwise). Plus, if you're a long shot, but really want UofC, ED is perfect for you. I say go for it.

If you guys have any specific questions feel free to PM me. Good luck!

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:59 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
keg411 wrote:
With the new info, I may just wait until Chicago RD instead of doing the ED to see if they are even taking people. Don't have the $$ to waste and I think I'm too much of a long shot.


You should still apply, keg. It's not a ton of money (you'll pay the same for an app RD I think). Also, it's probably the case that they'll take the same number of ED students and less RD students if they're cutting down (unless they've told you guys otherwise). Plus, if you're a long shot, but really want UofC, ED is perfect for you. I say go for it.


+1. I certainly think they are going to take at least SOME people, so you won't be wasting money. While ED may not give you a boost in admissions chances, it does allow you to have everything settled by the end of May at the latest (and it allows you to do the write-on competition without worrying about whether or not you will even be admitted).

Only reason I see to wait for RD is the obvious one - Chicago isn't at the top of your transfer list and you don't want to be bound.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:13 pm

traehekat wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
keg411 wrote:
With the new info, I may just wait until Chicago RD instead of doing the ED to see if they are even taking people. Don't have the $$ to waste and I think I'm too much of a long shot.


You should still apply, keg. It's not a ton of money (you'll pay the same for an app RD I think). Also, it's probably the case that they'll take the same number of ED students and less RD students if they're cutting down (unless they've told you guys otherwise). Plus, if you're a long shot, but really want UofC, ED is perfect for you. I say go for it.


+1. I certainly think they are going to take at least SOME people, so you won't be wasting money. While ED may not give you a boost in admissions chances, it does allow you to have everything settled by the end of May at the latest (and it allows you to do the write-on competition without worrying about whether or not you will even be admitted).

Only reason I see to wait for RD is the obvious one - Chicago isn't at the top of your transfer list and you don't want to be bound.


Thanks for the encouragement, guys. And I definitely have zero issue about being "bound" by Chicago in terms of transferring. My school/grades-combination is just more MPBDNC than CCN right now, but I might as well take the shot. I really love Chicago's corporate focus and I would honestly prefer knowing something by the end of May to having to sweat it all out in July. Also, I have no interest in GULC/DC so I didn't do EA and don't have that luxury either. Guess ED is back on :lol:.

Mega, I'll PM you later.

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby missinglink » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:32 am

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:Out of curiosity, are people applying to Chicago ED planning on having only one or having two LORs from first semester profs?

Two lined up at the moment.

That the class is already over-enrolled is certainly disheartening news. But if they're taking transfer apps this year, I have to assume they'll take at least some applications. Nothing to do but throw my hat in the ring and see what happens.

User avatar
NakedPowerOrgan
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Re: Chicago ED 2011 Thread

Postby NakedPowerOrgan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:14 pm

missinglink wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:Out of curiosity, are people applying to Chicago ED planning on having only one or having two LORs from first semester profs?

Two lined up at the moment.


What's the consensus on here about it hurting to only have one? Also, my LoR is coming from one of the heads of our Law & Econ department who has a ton of connections at Chicago - would this help? Or is the prevailing theory LoR's just don't matter that much either way.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.