Lower T14 to Chicago, HYS

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
koalatriste

Lower T14 to Chicago, HYS

Postby koalatriste » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Hello,

I am debating applying to UChicago ED (from Cornell), but I'm not sure if the cost/benefit of ED is worth giving up a shot at HYS. FWIW, I'm in the top 10% at Cornell.

The ideal goal is just to GTFO of Cornell (without jeopardizing big law job prospects, i.e. being in Ithaca for two more years isn't a deal breaker, but it's something I'd like to avoid), and I'd prefer HYS to Chicago (re: prestige WHORE here). So, should I do Chicago ED or do I have a reasonable shot at Chicago RD as to not necessitate the forfeiture of my HYS chances?

Ultimately, I guess I'm interested in hearing about the prospect of UChicago ED/RD balanced against my HYS chances in relation to my current standing, and the possible variance that the second semester may bring in my class rank (i.e. what if I end up top 15%? top 5%?).

Thanks!

KOALA

edit: just for clarification, I'm not interested in Columbia, NYU, or the rest of the T14. Also, I don't know if schools consider this, but I was waitlisted at Stanford, Harvard, and Chicago as a 0L applicant. As far as career interests go, I'm interested in NY/DC/SF/LA biglaw (obviously, I realize that the SF/DC/LA markets are difficult to crack from anywhere). Additionally, as a side note, I would probably stay put in the event that I made LR at cornell, but that's a literal black box at this point.

lawloser22

Re: Lower T14 to Chicago, HYS

Postby lawloser22 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:46 pm

koalatriste wrote:Hello,

I am debating applying to UChicago ED (from Cornell), but I'm not sure if the cost/benefit of ED is worth giving up a shot at HYS. FWIW, I'm in the top 10% at Cornell.

The ideal goal is just to GTFO of Cornell (without jeopardizing big law job prospects, i.e. being in Ithaca for two more years isn't a deal breaker, but it's something I'd like to avoid), and I'd prefer HYS to Chicago (re: prestige WHORE here). So, should I do Chicago ED or do I have a reasonable shot at Chicago RD as to not necessitate the forfeiture of my HYS chances?

Ultimately, I guess I'm interested in hearing about the prospect of UChicago ED/RD balanced against my HYS chances in relation to my current standing, and the possible variance that the second semester may bring in my class rank (i.e. what if I end up top 15%? top 5%?).

Thanks!

KOALA

edit: just for clarification, I'm not interested in Columbia, NYU, or the rest of the T14. Also, I don't know if schools consider this, but I was waitlisted at Stanford, Harvard, and Chicago as a 0L applicant. As far as career interests go, I'm interested in NY/DC/SF/LA biglaw (obviously, I realize that the SF/DC/LA markets are difficult to crack from anywhere). Additionally, as a side note, I would probably stay put in the event that I made LR at cornell, but that's a literal black box at this point.

You'll get at least one of HYS and Chicago RD easily.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:00 pm

Enjoy Stanford or Harvard !

busterbluth

Postby busterbluth » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:36 pm

I'm in identical situation (same school, same rank).

"Enjoy HYS" seems optimistic, though I'd be psyched if it was. I'm not seeing much information on inner-T14 transfers on yahoo apps group, or in these forums. What are posters basing this on?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:38 pm

OP was waitlisted at Stanford, Harvard & Chicago last year. They should like him/her even better this year after placing in the top 10% at Cornell.

P.S. I never wrote "Enjoy Yale".

busterbluth

Postby busterbluth » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:47 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP was waitlisted at Stanford, Harvard & Chicago last year. They should like him/her even better this year after placing in the top 10% at Cornell.

P.S. I never wrote "Enjoy Yale".

Sorry, I was generalizing the answers. Though, from what I can see, Stanford transfers seems as picky/random as Yale in terms of numbers. Maybe prior WL is an indicator.

I know vanwinkle transferred to H from UVA, but I was hoping someone might remember Georgetown/Cornell specific transfer attempts for Koala and others similarly situated to look at. Search function turns up more questions than answers.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:10 am

Thanks!

KOALA

I wouldn't do Chicago ED. I think you stand a good shot at RD there and I know that I would be kicking myself down the road for not making a run at HYS when I had the chance.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:16 am

Thanks!

KOALA

This post was hard to read. I probs wouldn't like you IRL.

That said, I'll add substance to this post by saying: from what I've seen around the Transfers forum, if I were you I would not ED to Chicago: you'll probs get in RD and probs will get into H.

Trequartista

Postby Trequartista » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:28 am

Thanks!

KOALA

That bad?

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:50 pm

thanks for all of the input; I was really on the fence about chicago ED, but now I'm leaning towards RD. I had this dilemma when applying as a 0L and chose not to ED to Chicago to allow me to entertain my HYS fantasy, but that ended up not working out well on either end of the transaction.

Re: the post above, I guess ithaca isn't that bad. A march 6th blizzard had me feeling less than elated yesterday, and it probably came out in my original post.

I guess my question is still this: don't the other 15 or so people above me (in the class at Cornell) stand a better chance at HYS? Obviously, not all of them will apply, but let's say 5 do... Doesn't that count me out or is there more that goes in to a T14 transfer-up application?

Also, as a broader question - perhaps vanwinkle can weigh-in on this - what is the intra-T14 transfer class distribution like at H? Any ideas on the number of people that they take from CCN vs. MVP vs. DCNG?

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:34 pm

koalatriste wrote:thanks for all of the input; I was really on the fence about chicago ED, but now I'm leaning towards RD. I had this dilemma when applying as a 0L and chose not to ED to Chicago to allow me to entertain my HYS fantasy, but that ended up not working out well on either end of the transaction.

Re: the post above, I guess ithaca isn't that bad. A march 6th blizzard had me feeling less than elated yesterday, and it probably came out in my original post.

I guess my question is still this: don't the other 15 or so people above me (in the class at Cornell) stand a better chance at HYS? Obviously, not all of them will apply, but let's say 5 do... Doesn't that count me out or is there more that goes in to a T14 transfer-up application?

Also, as a broader question - perhaps vanwinkle can weigh-in on this - what is the intra-T14 transfer class distribution like at H? Any ideas on the number of people that they take from CCN vs. MVP vs. DCNG?

Based on your OP, those 15 people will likely make law review and realize that transferring from a T-14 w/ law review is not in their best interest. I strongly believe you'll get H and at least one of Y/S.

mardimar

Postby mardimar » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:45 pm

Last edited by mardimar on Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:34 pm

koalatriste wrote:Also, as a broader question - perhaps vanwinkle can weigh-in on this - what is the intra-T14 transfer class distribution like at H? Any ideas on the number of people that they take from CCN vs. MVP vs. DCNG?

First of all, I don't think transferring to Chicago would be worth it. Maybe you have good reasons, but I just don't see any.

I think there are one or two Columbia transfers here, but that's it for CCN. CCN->HYS seems slightly ridiculous and not worth it to most people.

I can't speak to specific grades because I do not know what the other T14->H students had specifically. However, as noted, there are multiple Cornell transfers here this year.

Do you have any WE? Lots of transfers here had significant pre-LS WE. I think it's something they're actively looking for now and can make a difference.

IMO, being top 10% is worth the app fee. It's not a lock, but it's good enough to be worth the app. The other question I would ask, though, is whether you had strong numbers (GPA/LSAT) as a 0L. I'm not asking because GPA/LSAT matter in transfer apps, they truly don't. I'm asking because, if you had really strong numbers and the top schools all WL'd you, then that means there's something in your app that they didn't like, and might still not like.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:04 am

vanwinkle wrote:
koalatriste wrote:Also, as a broader question - perhaps vanwinkle can weigh-in on this - what is the intra-T14 transfer class distribution like at H? Any ideas on the number of people that they take from CCN vs. MVP vs. DCNG?

First of all, I don't think transferring to Chicago would be worth it. Maybe you have good reasons, but I just don't see any.

I think there are one or two Columbia transfers here, but that's it for CCN. CCN->HYS seems slightly ridiculous and not worth it to most people.

I can't speak to specific grades because I do not know what the other T14->H students had specifically. However, as noted, there are multiple Cornell transfers here this year.

Do you have any WE? Lots of transfers here had significant pre-LS WE. I think it's something they're actively looking for now and can make a difference.

IMO, being top 10% is worth the app fee. It's not a lock, but it's good enough to be worth the app. The other question I would ask, though, is whether you had strong numbers (GPA/LSAT) as a 0L. I'm not asking because GPA/LSAT matter in transfer apps, they truly don't. I'm asking because, if you had really strong numbers and the top schools all WL'd you, then that means there's something in your app that they didn't like, and might still not like.

Thanks for the input!

I have 1 year of decent (?) WE - in a professional setting doing econ-related work - and I'll be at a large USAO (SDNY/EDNY/DC/LA, etc.) this summer if that matters. My numbers were 3.94/169 - I (stupidly) applied in December/January to most places. Probably should have re-taken, but, well, that's over. IIRC, I think my "complete" date at H was in mid-Jan and I didn't go "complete" at Stanford until February. So, I don't know whether it was my numbers, app timing, a red flag, or a combination thereof that landed me on the HSCCN waitlists. Goes without saying, but I was dinged at Y.

For others that may be in a similar position (and in the very real possibility that my rank changes), how negatively would my transfer prospects if I fell to top 15%? 20%? I'm guessing 20% is too low (and I don't think I will have that kind of a meltdown, but you never know...). How about if I get a D+ in property?...joking...kind of...

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:23 am

vanwinkle wrote:Do you have any WE? Lots of transfers here had significant pre-LS WE. I think it's something they're actively looking for now and can make a difference.

Please, please, please let this be true about transfers in general.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:36 am

Chicago may be more selective this year than Harvard simply because they overbooked this year's 1L class by 20. They weren't expecting so many people to take Chicago over NYU and Columbia. I don't even think anyone got in off the waitlist this last year. This makes me think that the student body could lose six, and still be at where it normally is after transfers. However, I am just a Chicago 1L nervous about my contracts exam tomorrow, so take this idea with a grain of salt.

cosmopolitan

Postby cosmopolitan » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:17 pm

[quote="vanwinkle"]CCN->HYS seems slightly ridiculous and not worth it to most people.

Considering just that. Why is that ridiculous?

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:14 am

cosmopolitan wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:CCN->HYS seems slightly ridiculous and not worth it to most people.

Because transferring rules you out of Harvard Law Review (which is the most likely to bite of YHS) and if you are ranked high enough at CCN to be able to transfer into YHS, there are very few jobs/opportunities that you won't be able to get by staying where you already are. Transferring from CCN to YHS, usually only seems to make sense if there are personal reasons (like an SO in one of those areas) that make it more important not to be in NYC/Chicago.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:30 am

chasgoose wrote:
cosmopolitan wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:CCN->HYS seems slightly ridiculous and not worth it to most people.

Because transferring rules you out of Harvard Law Review (which is the most likely to bite of YHS) and if you are ranked high enough at CCN to be able to transfer into YHS, there are very few jobs/opportunities that you won't be able to get by staying where you already are. Transferring from CCN to YHS, usually only seems to make sense if there are personal reasons (like an SO in one of those areas) that make it more important not to be in NYC/Chicago.

Don't think that's right...

Return to “Transfers”