transfer options after 1L: Top 20 vrs low tier 1

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
simontemplar
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:28 pm

transfer options after 1L: Top 20 vrs low tier 1

Postby simontemplar » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:19 pm

I don't think it would be wise to attend a law school with the intention to transfer elsewhere after 1L. That said, I would still like to know the options from different programs. Would a person be in a better position to transfer into the top 14 from a school like Wash U versus a low Tier I? Let's assume you are able to end up in the top 25% after 1L.

hawkeye22
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: transfer options after 1L: Top 20 vrs low tier 1

Postby hawkeye22 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:21 pm

Slightly better, yes. However conventional wisdom is that top 25% won't cut it for a significant transfer up. You should be at least top 15% if not top 10-5%.

User avatar
simontemplar
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Re: transfer options after 1L: Top 20 vrs low tier 1

Postby simontemplar » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:58 pm

hawkeye22 wrote:Slightly better, yes. However conventional wisdom is that top 25% won't cut it for a significant transfer up. You should be at least top 15% if not top 10-5%.


Thank you so much for the response. What about my chances from Wash U to UT, USC, or UCLA? (My goal is to practice in Southern California and Texas.)

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: transfer options after 1L: Top 20 vrs low tier 1

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:00 pm

simontemplar wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:Slightly better, yes. However conventional wisdom is that top 25% won't cut it for a significant transfer up. You should be at least top 15% if not top 10-5%.


Thank you so much for the response. What about my chances from Wash U to UT, USC, or UCLA? (My goal is to practice in Southern California and Texas.)


If you want to practice in SoCal or TX, you are better off going to school in one of those places. Never pick your school with intent to transfer and while you can think about it in the abstract, there is a 90% chance those dreams will be over after first semester.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: transfer options after 1L: Top 20 vrs low tier 1

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:06 pm

keg411 wrote:
simontemplar wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:Slightly better, yes. However conventional wisdom is that top 25% won't cut it for a significant transfer up. You should be at least top 15% if not top 10-5%.


Thank you so much for the response. What about my chances from Wash U to UT, USC, or UCLA? (My goal is to practice in Southern California and Texas.)


If you want to practice in SoCal or TX, you are better off going to school in one of those places. Never pick your school with intent to transfer and while you can think about it in the abstract, there is a 90% chance those dreams will be over after first semester.

Not true. Keg is right on usually, but if you put in the work to learn how to take law school exams, you can usually find yourself competing w/ a lot smaller group than the entire law class. See Arrow's "How to do well at a t2" post for info on how to do this.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: transfer options after 1L: Top 20 vrs low tier 1

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:16 pm

OP: This thread is extremely relevant to your interests.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: transfer options after 1L: Top 20 vrs low tier 1

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:29 pm

patrickd139 wrote:OP: This thread is extremely relevant to your interests.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.