Applying for Stuff + Considering Transferring from T15

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hadokenstyle

Applying for Stuff + Considering Transferring from T15

Postby hadokenstyle » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:19 am

Hey,
Sorry for the rather inarticulate title. So I have a decent GPA (4.1) after first semester at a T15 (you can guess where) and I am considering transferring. Personal stuff, and specific programs make me want to get out of this area. I have no interest at all in biglaw, but would rather do human rights stuff.

The caveat is that I am really interested in study abroad and am putting out applications for that, as well as various scholarships.
The study abroad is an exchange program. I feel like it would stir up some drama at my school if I get it and then transfer. Plus, I have made some great professor bonds here. One prof even hooked me up with a summer job.

There's this self-protectionist part present in me (and I think all of us) that wants to keep options open. If I get the grades to transfer, awesome. But if I'm stuck here I absolutely need to get away for a semester and do this study abroad.

Assuming the personal stuff doesn't make me screw up my GPA, I would be shooting for HYSCN.

In the end my conscience tells me I should probably just stick it out here and either do an LLM at one of those schools or get a job out there.

Thanks for the advice guys. Sorry if this comes off as whiney/a rant.

BlueDiamond

Re: Applying for Stuff + Considering Transferring from T15

Postby BlueDiamond » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:26 am

assuming you can keep your grades near where they are already at the T15 the only place id transfer is Yale

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:31 pm

I cannot imagine how transferring to a school other than HYS would be worth your time. Also, study abroad? In law school? That seems counterintuitive.

Malcolm8X

Postby Malcolm8X » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:53 pm

patrickd139 wrote:I cannot imagine how transferring to a school other than HYS would be worth your time. Also, study abroad? In law school? That seems counterintuitive.

This. But congrats on the gpa! May I derail the thread for one post and ask you what the number 1 factor is that lead you to that? Prep program? Books? No weekend outings?

saladfiend

Postby saladfiend » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:56 pm

4.1 is more than a "decent" GPA.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:58 pm

hadokenstyle wrote: I have a decent GPA (4.1) after first semester at a T15

:shock: Masterful understatement (someone beat me to it..). And HYS is prob all you should be shooting for IMO unless you have a rough second semester. But you should have great options at your 'T15' with those grades if you decide to stay.

hadokenstyle

Postby hadokenstyle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Yeah, good point on NYU/Columbia... my only real reason is for their specialty programs in international law. My current school has some great faculty in the field, but nowhere near the resources of those schools. And study abroad is generally a big perk in law school. The specific program I would do is basically at the Oxford/Harvard of that country.

As far as doing well, I think my approach is a little unorthodox and risky. I didn't study 8+ hours like many people... in contrast, I averaged around 3-5 hours a day and tried to have a really healthy work/life balance. I didn't go out much, but I tried to devote time to hobbies, cooking, and other things I'm passionate about.

But I think if you want to do well, you need to do something different. My philosophy was basically a combination of Xeoh's and the NYU student featured on the main page. I think Xeoh captures what you're trying to accomplish. The other student knows how to make it efficient. At the end there is some luck involved and serious diminishing returns for your time... shoot me a PM if you want me to elaborate more, haha...

Return to “Transfers”