Personal Statement Formality

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
blbtr

Personal Statement Formality

Postby blbtr » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:21 am

On PS, when discussing past/future employment, is it necessary to be completely formal in the descriptions, even the initial descriptions?

Example - I am working for a U.S. Attorney's Office this summer. Do I need to refer to it as the United States Attorney's Office of blank (unabbreviated)?

Example 2 - When talking about a law firm, even if I could assume the reader knows exactly what I was talking about, do I need to say the full name with LLP? Or could you just say "Cravath" or "Hunton & Williams?"

Being overly formal in these descriptions strikes me as way too stuffy but I just want to make sure.

Also, if I am applying to a school where I think I have a very solid chance, is it acceptable to just play it safe and give a well written but overall very ordinary description of why I want to transfer and my goals, etc., or do I need to try and really "stand out?"

Thanks in advance.

concurrent fork

Re: Personal Statement Formality

Postby concurrent fork » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:05 pm

No, as long as the full name is on your resume.

I am not sure what you mean by "future employment." Are you going to talk about Cravath in your PS because you want to work there?

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:09 pm

I would use the full name of the firm/office once, and then use abbreviated names thereafter.

Also, if you're applying to a school with a solid chance based on GPA, I would go with something simple and well written.

j7108

Postby j7108 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:53 am

zomginternets wrote:I would use the full name of the firm/office once, and then use abbreviated names thereafter.

Also, if you're applying to a school with a solid chance based on GPA, I would go with something simple and well written.

Agreed.

Return to “Transfers”