Drafting LOR

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
traehekat

Drafting LOR

Postby traehekat » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:12 am

Anyone with any experience doing this? One of my professors has been kind enough to write a letter for me, but because it was a class of almost 100 students she has asked me to draft it and then she will change it up. Completely understandable, but I'm just not sure how to go about doing it. I figure some of you guys may have had to do this when applying as a 0L, so I figured I'd ask. Thanks all.

MrPapagiorgio

Re: Drafting LOR

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:20 am

No. This is what you do: provide the professor with your resume, reasons why you want to go to law school and a few anecdotes about yourself that she can weave into a personalized letter. Any professor (even newly minted ones) should know better than to ask the student to compose his/her own letter to be "changed up" afterward by the professor.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:44 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:No. This is what you do: provide the professor with your resume, reasons why you want to go to law school and a few anecdotes about yourself that she can weave into a personalized letter. Any professor (even newly minted ones) should know better than to ask the student to compose his/her own letter to be "changed up" afterward by the professor.

Well, she did ask for a resume and I think the purpose of drafting the letter is for her to get an idea of the things I want a school to know about me, which probably serves the same purpose as providing some anecdotes.

bilboteabaggins

Postby bilboteabaggins » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:01 am

traehekat wrote:
Well, she did ask for a resume and I think the purpose of drafting the letter is for her to get an idea of the things I want a school to know about me, which probably serves the same purpose as providing some anecdotes.

If you honestly believe this, you sir are a stupid, stupid, little hobbit. Get a grip of yourself Frodo, you're letting the RING cloud your thoughts.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:21 am

bilboteabaggins wrote:
traehekat wrote:

If you honestly believe this, you sir are a stupid, stupid, little hobbit. Get a grip of yourself Frodo, you're letting the RING cloud your thoughts.

4 posts and the gimmick is already old.

I'm not naive. I'm purposely being overly politically correct, or however you'd like to think about it. Regardless, she took a lot of time to talk about it with me, was more the welcome to provide a letter, and I did very well in her class. I don't think there is really a better option out there for me as far as a letter goes, seeing as how I didn't get to know any of my professors very well at all.

Question remains - if you had to draft your own LOR, how'd you go about doing it?

bilboteabaggins

Postby bilboteabaggins » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:35 am

I think you know that however you choose to look at it, it's ethically wrong. If your professor said she would be happy to write it, why not take the high road?

I know you'll make the correct choice young Frodo.

Sincerely,
Bilbo Teabaggins

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:42 am

traehekat wrote:4 posts and the gimmick is already old.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:33 pm

I think this may not be a really uncommon request. I don't know that it is necessarily as unethical as some on here are saying (if unethical at all), as long as the prof is willing to take responsibility for the final draft and any factual assertions are essentially verifiable. Look at all the Clerks who write opinions with Judge's names on them: that doesn't typically get criticized as unethical (as long as the judge approves it).

Obviously I would make the letter sound as positive as possible. I think many professors will ask what you would like to be in the letter at the very least (so they know how to tailor and target it rather than just doing a generic letter)- that probably isn't much (if at all) different from what the professor is having you do in your situation IMO.

shmantieantie

Postby shmantieantie » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:39 pm

Lawquacious wrote:I think this may not be a really uncommon request. I don't know that it is necessarily as unethical as some on here are saying (if unethical at all), as long as the prof is willing to take responsibility for the final draft and any factual assertions are essentially verifiable. Look at all the Clerks who write opinions with Judge's names on them: that doesn't typically get criticized as unethical (as long as the judge approves it).

Obviously I would make the letter sound as positive as possible. I think many professors will ask what you would like to be in the letter at the very least (so they know how to tailor and target it rather than just doing a generic letter)- that probably isn't much (if at all) different from what the professor is having you do in your situation IMO.

+1

in_reverie

Postby in_reverie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:50 pm

OP: did you ever successfully get around to doing this? I'm grappling with the same situation right now.

Return to “Transfers”