What are your chances?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
psach44

Re: What are your chances?

Postby psach44 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:41 pm

turd

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:55 pm

psach44 wrote:turd

easy with the disconnected scatological references. this is an on-topic forum.

Sav

Postby Sav » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:19 pm

Anyone transferred out from Boalt? What did you do since they do not give out class rank on the transcript? They tell us unofficially only whether we are top 10% or top 25% but we are not allowed to disclose it to another school.

ironharvest

Postby ironharvest » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:15 pm

3.86 GPA at a bottom T14 (easily top 10%). Strong California ties. 170 LSAT and 3.74 UGPA.

What are my chances at H and S? B? Applied to Berkeley but not sure I would accept because I would have to give up $$ and cool study abroad opportunity at current school to attend B.

psach44

Postby psach44 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:18 pm

You seem golden bro.

Upset you're prob taking a spot from me at H coming from a T-50 but def congrats!

psach44

Postby psach44 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:22 pm

*as I'm from a T-50 and you're from a T-14.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:24 pm

psach44 wrote:You seem golden bro.

Upset you're prob taking a spot from me at H coming from a T-50 but def congrats!

You should specify bozo lest people think you're coming from a real T-50.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:28 pm

Danger Zone wrote:

esp since everyone knows that old latin adage about bozo and water and being dead

psach44

Postby psach44 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:06 pm

Oh..my bust...didn't know there were real and fake T-50s.

Would love to keep in touch with you and see who's who and who's where down the line.

Yes, that's a challenge.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:20 pm

psach44 wrote:Oh..my bust...didn't know there were real and fake T-50s.

Would love to keep in touch with you and see who's who and who's where down the line.

Yes, that's a challenge.

stop embarrassing yourself

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:32 pm

psach44 wrote:Oh..my bust...didn't know there were real and fake T-50s.

Yes, that's a challenge.

On the next episode of Sperglord: psach burns DZ over his shameful number of posts. BAZING!

whynat

Postby whynat » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:29 pm

Any past-transfer URMs? Would like to hear about their experiences in the transfer process. (I searched and couldn't find any thread that touched on this topic.) Please pm if not interested in posting on forum.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:34 pm

whynat wrote:Any past-transfer URMs? Would like to hear about their experiences in the transfer process. (I searched and couldn't find any thread that touched on this topic.) Please pm if not interested in posting on forum.

the URM boost is much smaller than normal admissions, maybe nonexistent. that along w the black box process it is may contribute to the dearth of material.

whynat

Postby whynat » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:50 pm

stillwater wrote:
whynat wrote:Any past-transfer URMs? Would like to hear about their experiences in the transfer process. (I searched and couldn't find any thread that touched on this topic.) Please pm if not interested in posting on forum.

the URM boost is much smaller than normal admissions, maybe nonexistent. that along w the black box process it is may contribute to the dearth of material.

That's why I wanted the opinion of URMs who have transferred to confirm/deny what others have said. I figured it is not as important as when first applying (ldo), but I don't truly believe the boost is "nonexistent." If schools can weigh geographical ties as a factor, I don't see why they wouldn't look at other parts of the application. This, of course, is all speculation, as you noted above.

Anyways, I would still like to hear from URMs as to their experience.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:52 pm

whynat wrote:
stillwater wrote:

That's why I wanted the opinion of URMs who have transferred to confirm/deny what others have said. I figured it is not as important as when first applying (ldo), but I don't truly believe the boost is "nonexistent." If schools can weigh geographical ties as a factor, I don't see why they wouldn't look at other parts of the application. This, of course, is all speculation, as you noted above.

im not saying you shouldnt hear. it may get more looks if you start a new thread. kinda out of place in the What are my chances thread

juslaxyn22

Postby juslaxyn22 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:08 pm

3.55 8% at School ranked in 60-70
Great softs

Applying to
Columbia
GULC
UVA (From VA)
GW
Last edited by juslaxyn22 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vinnnyvincenzo

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:09 pm

stillwater wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

esp since everyone knows that old latin adage about bozo and water and being dead

This legit made me laugh out loud.

SHIA

Postby SHIA » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:48 pm

Last edited by SHIA on Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sav

Postby Sav » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:36 pm

C
Last edited by Sav on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:52 pm

whynat wrote:
stillwater wrote:

I really don't want to derail the thread, but I'm assuming its less of a boost because you already get a boost the first time you apply, so giving another boost in the transfer process seems a bit unfair.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Myself and a few other URM's applied to transfer out of my old school. There was pretty much no boost at all for any of us, and our acceptance/rejection patterns were entirely in line with what our class rankings/grades would indicate.

And this sort of makes sense. Remember that the schools don't actually care about diversity, URM representation, URM achievement, etc. They only care to the extent that they can publish stats in magazines and brochures about diversity figures in their incoming classes (i.e. its all about input, and not output). In the transfer context, you aren't adding anything other than tuition dollars, and whatever the schools sees as your value as a alum. So they truly are basing it almost entirely on academic performance and achievement. Though I'd imagine that, if some facet of your URM background made it such that you would have value as an alum (say, you have extensive experience in social advocacy, are dedicated to that route, and the transfer school has a great program or clinic in your area of interest), the school may want to have you as an alum for that reason (since they can one day use you as a recruiting tool to some extent).

So don't expect to see much if any URM boost, and approach the transfer process based on your academic performance.

danmiller4545

Postby danmiller4545 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:50 am

Mid-3.7s, lower ranked T-14, top 5% of class. anyone have a feel for how I'm looking at Harvard, Yale, Colubmia?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:53 am

danmiller4545 wrote:Mid-3.7s, lower ranked T-14, top 5% of class. anyone have a feel for how I'm looking at Harvard, Yale, Colubmia?

obviously your chances are good. not sure its worth it depending on your career goals, particularly Columbia. good luck!

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:04 pm

danmiller4545 wrote:Mid-3.7s, lower ranked T-14, top 5% of class. anyone have a feel for how I'm looking at Harvard, Yale, Colubmia?

I'm pretty much certain you are in at Harvard and Columbia. Yale I can never tell. I was at a T25, and our top 5% people were getting into Harvard, Columbia, and NYU (which is why you seem like such a safe bet). Yet our top 2 or 3 people in the entire class all got rejected from Yale, so I'm not exactly sure what you have to do to get in as a transfer there.

That being said, there is no way in hell I'd transfer if I were you. You will clean up with the very best firms at your current school. Do you have some goal that can't possibly be reached from your current school?

readeatsleep

Postby readeatsleep » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:25 pm

^ academia, perhaps.

Return to “Transfers”