What are your chances?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SloppyHandwriting
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:36 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby SloppyHandwriting » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:52 pm

Fall Semester: Top 25%; Spring Semester: Top 5%; Cumulative: Top 10% at a T4 in the Northwest.

Primarily looking to law schools in Texas as well as any other schools where I have strong chances in good legal markets. Any ideas?

Sav
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:01 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby Sav » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:02 pm

?
Last edited by Sav on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby NYstate » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:14 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
Sav wrote:
demondeac85 wrote:Do you have regional ties to HYS? I've heard that plays pretty big into their decisions.
Why do regional ties figure into HYS decisions? Wouldn't they want a 3.9 with no ties compared to 3.8 with ties? I'm not a troll, just wondering if my ties to CA will help me transfer to SLS compared to HLS where I have no ties.


You're more marketable (career-wise) in your home market. People don't want to hire someone that they feel is merely there until they're able to return home. I have a ton of family in Chicago, the main market for my school, but because I'm from CA I was asked whether I intended to return home during every single interview. Additionally, I interviewed for some SA positions in a secondary market to which I have no ties and have no intent of living and practicing in post-graduation, and the same question was asked and the interviews were not fruitful.

Because many people look to employment statistics, my assumption is that schools might

prefer to take students from the region so that there is an increased likelihood that those students will be able to secure employment upon graduation. However, for the top schools, I feel that it is less of a concern because the chances of employment are significantly higher regardless of whether the student is in his or her home market. This is nothing more than
an assumption, though, and I could be completely off-base.


I am not an expert on transfers by any means. I have not heard anyone mention ties being a concern for transferring to a T14 school from the schools perspective. You may gave heard this advice in the context of how a transfer might help or hurt with employment, but I don't recall it being a concern for transfers to H.

Maybe start a specific thread and ask this question. I would definitely not assume that ties matter for transfers. Grades, school and recommendations matter.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:14 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby NYstate » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:18 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
Sav wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
Sav wrote:[quote="demondeac85"Do you have regional ties to HYS? I've heard that plays pretty big into their decisions.
Why do regional ties figure into HYS decisions? Wouldn't they want a 3.9 with no ties compared to 3.8 with ties? I'm not a troll, just wondering if my ties to CA will help me transfer to SLS compared to HLS where I have no ties.


You're more marketable (career-wise) in your home market. People don't want to hire someone that they feel is merely there until they're able to return home. I have a ton of family in Chicago, the main market for my school, but because I'm from CA I was asked whether I intended to return home during every single interview. Additionally, I interviewed for some SA positions in a secondary market to which I have no ties and have no intent of living and practicing in post-graduation, and the same question was asked and the interviews were not fruitful.

Because many people look to employment statistics, my assumption is that schools might prefer to take students from the region so that there is an increased likelihood that those students will be able to secure employment upon graduation. However, for the top schools, I feel that it is less of a concern because the chances of employment are significantly higher regardless of whether the student is in his or her home market. This is nothing more than
an assumption, though, and I could be completely off-base.
To confirm, you're saying that most schools prefer ties, but ties are less important for HYS?


No. I'm saying that I have never heard anyone say that ties matter for T14 transfers. I am not an expert, though, if you want expert advice in transfers and ties, start another thread and ask the question. I don't think adding assumptions into transfer requirements benefits anyone.

What I said was mere speculation. I suggested that, perhaps, because the reason ties are important for many schools is because it makes their graduates more marketable, and because HYS graduates are already so marketable, ties may be less important for HYS.[/quote]

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby NYstate » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:21 pm

Sorry the above is a mess. I'm on my phone.

So, no, I don't think ties matter. Start a thread and ask if you want more opinions. I'm not an expert on transfers but grades, school and recommendations are all I've seen mentioned.

User avatar
dsb83
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby dsb83 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:47 pm

SloppyHandwriting wrote:Fall Semester: Top 25%; Spring Semester: Top 5%; Cumulative: Top 10% at a T4 in the Northwest.

Primarily looking to law schools in Texas as well as any other schools where I have strong chances in good legal markets. Any ideas?



Sloppy, what do you think of SMU or Houston? U-Texas is likely out of reach. Do you have any ties to Texas? There are strong legal markets in Houston and Dallas and firms in each recruit quite a bit from the respective regional law school. I do not know how transfers specifically do with jobs...but UH seems transfer friendly at least.

SloppyHandwriting
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:36 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby SloppyHandwriting » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:28 pm

dsb83 wrote:
SloppyHandwriting wrote:Fall Semester: Top 25%; Spring Semester: Top 5%; Cumulative: Top 10% at a T4 in the Northwest.

Primarily looking to law schools in Texas as well as any other schools where I have strong chances in good legal markets. Any ideas?



Sloppy, what do you think of SMU or Houston? U-Texas is likely out of reach. Do you have any ties to Texas? There are strong legal markets in Houston and Dallas and firms in each recruit quite a bit from the respective regional law school. I do not know how transfers specifically do with jobs...but UH seems transfer friendly at least.


Thanks for replying. I agree, UT is probably out of reach. I am open to SMU or Houston -- leaning more towards Houston because its a public school and tuition would be a bit cheaper than SMU. However, I don't have any ties to the area except in that my parents are most likely moving to the Austin/Houston area in the next 2-3 years and I have an uncle there. Is something like that a strong enough connection?

I appreciate your input!

User avatar
dsb83
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby dsb83 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:26 pm

SloppyHandwriting wrote:
dsb83 wrote:
SloppyHandwriting wrote:Fall Semester: Top 25%; Spring Semester: Top 5%; Cumulative: Top 10% at a T4 in the Northwest.

Primarily looking to law schools in Texas as well as any other schools where I have strong chances in good legal markets. Any ideas?



Sloppy, what do you think of SMU or Houston? U-Texas is likely out of reach. Do you have any ties to Texas? There are strong legal markets in Houston and Dallas and firms in each recruit quite a bit from the respective regional law school. I do not know how transfers specifically do with jobs...but UH seems transfer friendly at least.


Thanks for replying. I agree, UT is probably out of reach. I am open to SMU or Houston -- leaning more towards Houston because its a public school and tuition would be a bit cheaper than SMU. However, I don't have any ties to the area except in that my parents are most likely moving to the Austin/Houston area in the next 2-3 years and I have an uncle there. Is something like that a strong enough connection?

I appreciate your input!


I think it'd be worthwhile to mention your family. Include it in a general paragraph of why you'd like to make Texas your home. One thing to consider with UH is that you wouldn't get in-state tuition, so the difference in pricetag between SMU and UH wouldn't be that substantial.

I can't speak too much with specific chances. It appears that UH doesn't take a whole lot of transfers but I know people transfer from South Texas fairly often. Maybe look through the yahoo #s. But in general, if you're not tied to a particular region, it'd be a good idea to cast a wider net. Apply to every low tier-1, tier-2 school that's in a decent legal market where you might like to live.

User avatar
dsb83
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby dsb83 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:35 pm

I realized anonymity is kind of silly at this point. I have the post regarding chances/outlier grade below. Check out that post if you'd like more details on my situation. Briefly, I'm 10/205, top 5% at the University of Houston. My grades were Fall: A, A-, B+, A-(LRW), Spring: A, A, A(LRW), A-, B. Gave me a 3.678/4.000. No highest grade awards in the substantive classes but I think I may have in my writing class this semester. The second semester outlying B was in Constitutional Law, visiting professor...seems to have given grades arbitrarily across the board and a good number of students are challenging it. Do not expect it to change, but I may push the school to give some kind of addendum letter. Thoughts on that situation would be helpful as well.

My preferred schools are:

Columbia,
NYU,
Texas (strong Texas ties, undergrad there)
Boalt
Georgetown

I may go ahead and apply for the rest of the T14 except for Cornell (interested in thoughts on this and chances at the rest).

Also, if anyone has any specific advice on transferring to Texas, I would greatly appreciate it.

transferhopeful2015
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:34 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby transferhopeful2015 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:43 pm

Top 1% at T50 with 3 book awards. Chances at:

YHS?
CCN?
Penn?
Berkeley?

BSJ4545
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:22 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby BSJ4545 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:33 pm

Top 6-8% (3.58GPA) at school in the 58-67 range. At least 1 substantive book award. Chances at Northwestern or UChicago? I have strong ties to Chicago. Appreciate the help.

michaelbluth
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:52 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby michaelbluth » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:14 pm

.
Last edited by michaelbluth on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lasersgopewpew
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:37 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby lasersgopewpew » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:15 pm

USNWR 25-30 (Top 9%)
3.74
2 CALIs (one of which was writing)

Chances at CCNPB, please?

ETA: Will be invited to law review.

ineptimusprime
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby ineptimusprime » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:00 pm

Top 15% (more like top 12%, but who says that?) at a T2. Submitted transfer apps to BYU, Utah, and WashU... chances?

jumister5889
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:14 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby jumister5889 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:43 am

ranked 1st; 4.01 gpa at T20.

Undergrad 174/3.01
Freshman year of undergrad I was suspended for disciplinary reasons. Criminal record is clean but the charges were not good (underage drinking/alcohol/fake id related). Will this hurt a chance at transferring?

HYS?
Specifically what are my chances at Yale and Harvard?

I am originally from the Boston area. I love Boston. My parents are getting old, and my grandparents are getting really old. I would genuinely love to study much closer to home than I currently am. Will this factor matter for applying to Harvard?

CCN?
Last edited by jumister5889 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Proximo
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:49 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby Proximo » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:58 am

..............
Last edited by Proximo on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jimbola
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby Jimbola » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:20 pm

ranked 10.9% at a TT/TTT in NY.

Looking to go to Georgetown, Michigan, NYU, Columbia.

What do you guys think?

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby stillwater » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:30 pm

Jimbola wrote:ranked 10.9% at a TT/TTT in NY.

Looking to go to Georgetown, Michigan, NYU, Columbia.

What do you guys think?


mich, nyu and columbia are out. georgetown maybe but prolly not.

User avatar
EMH99
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:24 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby EMH99 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:47 pm

EMH99 wrote:Top 10-20% at T20-40. Chances at Penn, UVA, Duke, GULC? Any others I should apply to?
Last edited by EMH99 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlb24
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby jlb24 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:07 pm

Currently at T2 in a major east coast city. 3.73 GPA, rank isn't out yet but 10%, if not top 5% based on previous years. Applying to Columbia, NYU, Northwestern, and possibly Harvard. Chances?

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby stillwater » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:29 pm

jlb24 wrote:Currently at T2 in a major east coast city. 3.73 GPA, rank isn't out yet but 10%, if not top 5% based on previous years. Applying to Columbia, NYU, Northwestern, and possibly Harvard. Chances?


Harvard is certainly out. Columbia maybe if you get it above 5%. Dunno about the other two. Guessing NYU is in play.

bananapeanutbutter
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:08 pm

3.65 at UVa - chances at Stanford, Harvard, Columbia?

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby stillwater » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:21 pm

bananapeanutbutter wrote:3.65 at UVa - chances at Stanford, Harvard, Columbia?


need to know your approximate rank.

bananapeanutbutter
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:40 pm

stillwater wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:3.65 at UVa - chances at Stanford, Harvard, Columbia?


need to know your approximate rank.

10




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.