What are your chances? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawschoolgrapedme

Bronze

Re: What are your chances?

Post by lawschoolgrapedme » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:43 pm

bmic wrote:3.58 GPA from a school in the 80s that doesn't rank.
I applied to BU, BC, and UConn.

Don't worry, I can take it if I don't have a good shot, I'm just curious (I already applied)
Hard to know without a ranking - really this is purely a guess without such, but I'm guessing you are around top 15-20%. If this is the case I'd say 25% chance of successfully transferring

slt

New

Post by slt » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:57 am

acore8604 wrote:I need some honest feedback becuase I don't know whether I should put down the deposit on UVA Law while I wait on Penn, NYU, Columbia, Harvard, and Yale

I'm at at T20 school
Top 2-3% with a 4.0 gpa (converted to a 4.0 scale)
Law Review, 1 CALI
I'm transfering purely for location, I'm from Boston trying to find a school that will have better connects to that market.

What are my chances?
I may be wrong, but from my understanding, at least Penn is pretty much guaranteed, and you have at least a huge shot at Harvard.

This is from the "T14 Transfer Status Change Thread" thread (post by mscarn23):
"I was browsing last year's threads a few weeks back and jotted down the following dates for acceptances...

Penn: July 9- July 27
Nyu: July 5- august 8
Columbia: July 8- July 29
Harvard: July 12- august 3
Yale: July 18- July 22"

When is the UVA deposit due by?

acore8604

New

Post by acore8604 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:32 am

slt wrote:
acore8604 wrote:I need some honest feedback becuase I don't know whether I should put down the deposit on UVA Law while I wait on Penn, NYU, Columbia, Harvard, and Yale

I'm at at T20 school
Law Review, 1 CALI
I'm transfering purely for location, I'm from Boston trying to find a school that will have better connects to that market.

What are my chances?
I may be wrong, but from my understanding, at least Penn is pretty much guaranteed, and you have at least a huge shot at Harvard.

"I was browsing last year's threads a few weeks back and jotted down the following dates for acceptances...

Thank you, that was very informative. I got the UVA deadline pushed back to this Friday. I can only afford to make maybe two deposits on schools and loose one of those. I hope your right about Harvard, that's my dream school and I've lived in Boston my entire life before 1L

D.Wilde

Bronze

Post by D.Wilde » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:08 pm

acore8604 wrote:
slt wrote:

I'm at at T20 school
Law Review, 1 CALI

What are my chances?

Thank you, that was very informative. I got the UVA deadline pushed back to this Friday. I can only afford to make maybe two deposits on schools and loose one of those. I hope your right about Harvard, that's my dream school and I've lived in Boston my entire life before 1L
You've definitely got a shot at HLS.

bmic

New

Post by bmic » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:59 pm

lawschoolgrapedme wrote:
bmic wrote:3.58 GPA from a school in the 80s that doesn't rank.
I applied to BU, BC, and UConn.

Don't worry, I can take it if I don't have a good shot, I'm just curious (I already applied)
Hard to know without a ranking - really this is purely a guess without such, but I'm guessing you are around top 15-20%. If this is the case I'd say 25% chance of successfully transferring
Just an update (and reference for other people looking), I got accepted to UConn and BU. No word from BC yet, but BU is my 1st choice anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Intranetusa

New

Post by Intranetusa » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Currently at T2 #58ish
Trying to get into T1 #38ish
Doing it purely for personal/family reasons.

Top 30%, 70th percentile.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:32 pm

Intranetusa wrote:Currently at T2 #58ish
Trying to get into T1 #38ish
Doing it purely for personal/family reasons.

Top 30%, 70th percentile.
So you are using hypothetical numbers? Or are you a night student?

Sounds like hypotheticals. And if they are, come back when you have an actual GPA because it's impossible to predict unless you have real numbers. WIth that hypothetical number, you are 70% likely to NOT hit that target. Keep that in mind.

dali

New

Post by dali » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:02 am

GPA 3.3 after 1st semester Spring (no rank yet) @ GMU
applying early action GULC pt & ft
after this semester @ GW
?
1 yr. work exp. as legislative aide for local political official & on SBA & honor committee

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:59 pm

dali wrote:GPA 3.3 after 1st semester Spring (no rank yet) @ GMU
after this semester @ GW
?
1 yr. work exp. as legislative aide for local political official & on SBA & honor committee
Are you currently ft or pt? GULC will only accept so many credits. I think the cap is 30.

As for your GPA, I think you'll want to bump it up a lot this semester if you want a fighting chance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:05 pm

3|ink wrote:
after this semester @ GW
?
Are you currently ft or pt? GULC will only accept so many credits. I think the cap is 30.

As for your GPA, I think you'll want to bump it up a lot this semester if you want a fighting chance.
On that note, depends on the school's curve

jess

Post by jess » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:07 am

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:46 am

Jessuf wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
3|ink wrote:
after this semester @ GW
?

On that note, depends on the school's curve
My old school had a similar median (2.9), and that kind of GPA was top 10%, strangely. Maybe the distribution is different at GMU, though.
As someone who transferred from GMU to Georgetown, I can assure you that a 3.3 is not top 10%. The median is supposed to be 3.33, but varies between 3.28-3.35.

So as I said, this poster will want to bump her GPA a lot this semester if she wants a fighting chance in hell. Sorry to put it that way. But for what it's worth I had a classmate at GMU who took his gpa from a 3.28 to a 3.57 in a single semester.

jess

Post by jess » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:51 pm

Jessuf wrote:Oh, oops. Wikipedia was wrong.
It went up from b to a b+ 2 years ago. I too noticed that wiki was out of date when i got my first grades last year.

Bravura

New

Post by Bravura » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:25 pm

T2 (80s)
3.95/4.0 GPA

Chances for GULC EA or UChicago ED? Chances, if grades/position maintained, for other T14 reg cycle?

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:31 pm

Bravura wrote:T2 (80s)
3.95/4.0 GPA

Chances for GULC EA or UChicago ED? Chances, if grades/position maintained, for other T14 reg cycle?
I'll say 95% for GULC EA and 35% for UChi ED.

If still #1 after the spring,
1+ of HYS: 25%
1+ of CCN: 70%
1+ of MVP: 95%
1+ of DCNG: 99%

JessNovember

New

Post by JessNovember » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:12 pm

Bravura wrote:T2 (80s)
3.95/4.0 GPA

Is your T2 DePaul by chance? The only T2s admitted to UChicago this year were at Chicago schools. If you are at a Chicago school I'd say you have a very high chance for ED. It all depends on your risk tolerance and want to to go UChicago.

ETA: I think you'd have a really good chance for UChicago ED. By all indications they admitted a lot more people through it in 2012 than in years past. Also the 1st year class this year is pretty small so they may be looking to add a bunch through the transfer process. If you really want to go I'd throw an app that way.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bravura

New

Post by Bravura » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:22 am

Thanks for the prompt replies. T2 isn't DePaul, but I'll definitely throw an app that way--interested in the law and economics school of thought. Would you recommend visiting beforehand or is that too "ballsy" for ED?

JessNovember

New

Post by JessNovember » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:12 pm

Bravura wrote:Thanks for the prompt replies. T2 isn't DePaul, but I'll definitely throw an app that way--interested in the law and economics school of thought. Would you recommend visiting beforehand or is that too "ballsy" for ED?
I visited and, other than getting a quick look at the school, I don't think it made a difference. There's no transfer "recruiting" like they do with first year applicants and I'm pretty sure they didn't even take my name down.

Also, just to head off the question: the consistent performance requirement is nothing. Barring failing your 2nd semester, you're going.

dannynoonan87

Bronze

Post by dannynoonan87 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:17 pm

Last edited by dannynoonan87 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kroakstool

Bronze

Post by kroakstool » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:34 pm

Currently at a school in the 30s. We only get two final grades in the fall and I am sitting on a 4.15 gpa. I have to imagine that puts me in the top couple of percent at least. I expect my grades in my other classes to be similar. I would only consider transferring to HYS. Is that realistic if my grades remain in the A range?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:14 pm

kroakstool wrote: I expect my grades in my other classes to be similar.
That is quite an expectation based on two grades. But if you finish the year with a GPA of ~4.15, I would imagine you stand a decent chance at H/S.

Captain Hammer

New

Post by Captain Hammer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:16 pm

kroakstool wrote:Currently at a school in the 30s. We only get two final grades in the fall and I am sitting on a 4.15 gpa. I have to imagine that puts me in the top couple of percent at least. I expect my grades in my other classes to be similar. I would only consider transferring to HYS. Is that realistic if my grades remain in the A range?
Maintaining that GPA will be difficult, but if you can keep it or at least keep near it, then it's certainly realistic enough to be worth the app fee.

For the HYS range, grades are honestly only one factor. You need top grades to even be considered, but after that point they'll look at your softs and LORs. I see from your prior posts that you're ex-mil, which I think is good. It's an interesting soft, it'll make you stand out since I'm guessing there aren't that many vets with top grades applying to transfer, it counts as prior WE, and I know H at least is favoring slightly older students with notable WE.

gummy19vp

New

Post by gummy19vp » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:22 am

School Top 25
GPA 3.73
Rank top 5%

Chances at
Harvard
Stanford
Chicago
Columbia
NYU
Texas

MinEMorris

Bronze

Post by MinEMorris » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:01 am

School Top 25
GPA 3.73
Rank top 5%

Chances at
Harvard
Stanford
Chicago
Columbia
NYU
Texas
HYS = low, unless you have some strong reason to believe that you're in the very top of that top 5%, or have some other reason to believe H or S might think you're exceptionally cool.
CCN = good
Texas = probably in (though I don't know if they look for major ties or something)

In my experience of monitoring these forums and my own school, at a T25, 1 or 2 in the top 5% go to H or S (unsurprisingly, the two with near perfect GPAs and a lot of CALI awards) and the rest go to CCN or a T10 in a geographic location they have a strong preference for.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”