What are your chances?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
maf70
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:57 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby maf70 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Auto ding at gulc. Decent shot at gw. Great shot at gm.

ajmax8
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 11:29 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby ajmax8 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:47 pm

maf70 wrote:Auto ding at gulc. Decent shot at gw. Great shot at gm.


thanks, should i bother to send an app to american? I know they have the "IP law center," but I don't know if it's worth it

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby Vronsky » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:45 pm

School Rank: T2 in 80s (NYC area)
GPA: 3.82 first sem/3.95 second sem
Overall 3.88 (on a 3.0-3.19 curve)
no official rank yet but probably top 3%, possibly top 2%
First semester - 2 Cali awards
UVA undergrad, but shitty LSAT/GPA (does that matter for H?)
1 year of interesting WE in a foreign culture
solid PS and LORs from two profs w/Cali awards

Chances at:
H
CLS
NYU
Penn
UVA
GULC (deferred EA)

Should I add Berkley and UCLA? Don't have any real connections to the west coast, but it's pretty nice out there!

driftwood012
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby driftwood012 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:32 pm

170 lsat
3.45 at cardozo (top 20-25%)
full scholarship
4 years work experience prior to school

chances on nyu or columbia? worth it to give up scholarship?

maf70
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:57 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby maf70 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:39 pm

driftwood012 wrote:170 lsat
3.45 at cardozo (top 20-25%)
full scholarship
4 years work experience prior to school

chances on nyu or columbia? worth it to give up scholarship?


you have 0% chance at columbia or nyu.

UHawaiiLaw
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby UHawaiiLaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:15 pm

I wrote on this page a while back.

I am transferring back to the Pacific Northwest for family reasons (parent is sick with cancer). So far, I have been accepted to Seattle University and Lewis and Clark for transfer, but I did pretty well with spring grades (top 15 %) and wanted to know if it is worth it to apply to UW? I see that it is quite more competitive for transfer students than SU and L&C but my grades seem pretty decent.

Thoughts?

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby dakatz » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:20 pm

driftwood012 wrote:170 lsat
3.45 at cardozo (top 20-25%)
full scholarship
4 years work experience prior to school

chances on nyu or columbia? worth it to give up scholarship?


Don't even waste the app fee. Rank isn't high enough to make it a realistic possibility. And LSAT doesn't matter for transfer.

specialblend35
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby specialblend35 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:22 pm

UHawaiiLaw wrote:I wrote on this page a while back.

I am transferring back to the Pacific Northwest for family reasons (parent is sick with cancer). So far, I have been accepted to Seattle University and Lewis and Clark for transfer, but I did pretty well with spring grades (top 15 %) and wanted to know if it is worth it to apply to UW? I see that it is quite more competitive for transfer students than SU and L&C but my grades seem pretty decent.

Thoughts?


I don't see what you have to lose but the application fee and the time spent preparing your application. I would definitely throw an app there and see what happens...especially since you have such a compelling reason for transferring, and, if you don't get in, you already have a spot at a school in Seattle.

mrosmith
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby mrosmith » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:11 pm

Grades just got in, 3.85 this semester. 3.75 overall. No rank yet. Last year it was just under 10 percentile. Highest Score in Con Law, Crim Law, and LRW. Great letters. (TTT, in midwest)

Wisco
Minn
UIUC
Wake
UNC
Duke
Michigan
GULC
George Washington
William and Mary

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby Wholigan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:38 pm

.
Last edited by Wholigan on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby traehekat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:28 am

just out of curiosity ... ~10%, t30, chances at NU? Michigan?

lawloser22
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:18 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby lawloser22 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:15 am

dfsad wrote:Looking at finishing in top 15 -20% at a lower ranked T2. Looking to transfer to a state school in my home state ranked in the 40s.


You should have no problem with that.


nymario wrote:Top 1% (3.999, reported at top 10%, but presumably top 1-2 students) at lower end T1. 10 years work experience (with military).

Chances at YHS or CCN? (want to stay near enough to new york, so i don't really want to go to stanford...probably wouldn't want harvard either -- though with my economics bent, it'd be hard to turn down Chicago.

Full ride (including GI Bill) at my school. Won't be paying full sticker anywhere I go, but the debt would still be 20-30k/yr. Living for free with my girlfriend outside of NYC, she'd be willing to commute to her northeastern Westchester County job from Connecticut.

Is it worth bailing if I still have a decent shot at V50 with my grades and resume here --- a District Court clerkship is also in reach...


You should get H, but you'd need to be #1 for a shot at Y/S. CCN will probably all take you. Most would say it's always worth it for T6 or better, but it's really a personal decision. If you can get a federal clerkship and a v50 where you are now then it sounds like you should stay put. Really depends on your goals -- i.e. if you want V10, transfer all the way.

desertlaw wrote:Top 10-15% at MVP.

Chances at Columbia, NYU?


75%

ajmax8 wrote:T3
GPA 3.66 (first semester had 3.78, yes I know it dropped a lot), I'm guessing around top 10% for the year

GW
Georgetown (auto-ding?)
George Mason

Undergrad engineering degree, wanna do IP


GW will probably take you -- 55%. Georgetown probably not. GM fo' sho. Don't transfer to American.

Vronsky wrote:School Rank: T2 in 80s (NYC area)
GPA: 3.82 first sem/3.95 second sem
Overall 3.88 (on a 3.0-3.19 curve)
no official rank yet but probably top 3%, possibly top 2%
First semester - 2 Cali awards
UVA undergrad, but shitty LSAT/GPA (does that matter for H?)
1 year of interesting WE in a foreign culture
solid PS and LORs from two profs w/Cali awards

Chances at:
H: you'd need to be #1 for a 50/50 shot
CLS: 55%
NYU: 55%
Penn: 60%
UVA: you'll need significant VA ties to be considered. 50%
GULC (deferred EA): don't bother

Should I add Berkley and UCLA? Don't have any real connections to the west coast, but it's pretty nice out there!


Yeah, apply to Berkeley and submit ASAP. Don't bother with UCLA.

driftwood012 wrote:170 lsat
3.45 at cardozo (top 20-25%)
full scholarship
4 years work experience prior to school

chances on nyu or columbia? worth it to give up scholarship?


No chance.

UHawaiiLaw wrote:I wrote on this page a while back.

I am transferring back to the Pacific Northwest for family reasons (parent is sick with cancer). So far, I have been accepted to Seattle University and Lewis and Clark for transfer, but I did pretty well with spring grades (top 15 %) and wanted to know if it is worth it to apply to UW? I see that it is quite more competitive for transfer students than SU and L&C but my grades seem pretty decent.

Thoughts?


Yeah, pm A'nold and see what he thinks about transferring to UW. I think he was top 15% at a TTT and was admitted very late.

mrosmith wrote:Grades just got in, 3.85 this semester. 3.75 overall. No rank yet. Last year it was just under 10 percentile. Highest Score in Con Law, Crim Law, and LRW. Great letters. (TTT, in midwest)

Wisco: 60%
Minn: 60%
UIUC: 55%
Wake: 60%
UNC: 55%
Duke: 40%
Michigan: 40%
GULC: 45%
George Washington 55%
William and Mary 60%


Wholigan wrote:I haven't participated in the game yet, so I'll give it a go. 3.97 with one grade still out there. East coast T2. No ranking & 5% cutoff in the fall was 3.80. I doubt I'll be #1 even with an 'A' in my remaining class, but it doesn't really matter due to no rank. Also PT, but will have the requisite FT credits by the end of summer classes. Apparently this matters for some schools. 6 years WE. Chances at:

CC/MP/Cornell/GULC

Any thought on whether it may be worth it to hold off another week and improve my PS a little? I only spent a day or so on them, since journal comp was just over.


Not sure how PT works so I'll just say in at GULC. I know OperaSoprano mentioned her PT friends with like 4.0s getting screwed by CN... Yeah, I think you've definitely got another week, maybe two. I think it'd definitely be worth it. Most schools won't begin review apps until the middle of this month or later.

traehekat wrote:just out of curiosity ... ~10%, t30, chances at NU? Michigan?

NU - 55% if 2 years+ WE
Mich - 45%

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby thexfactor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:28 am

driftwood012 wrote:170 lsat
3.45 at cardozo (top 20-25%)
full scholarship
4 years work experience prior to school

chances on nyu or columbia? worth it to give up scholarship?

0 chance. Try Fordham.
Damn you are prob regretting your decision of taking cardozo full ride vs Cornell + GULC at minimal scholarship. Prob could have gotten into UVA ED.

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby Vronsky » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:59 am

lawloser22 wrote:
Vronsky wrote:School Rank: T2 in 80s (NYC area)
GPA: 3.82 first sem/3.95 second sem
Overall 3.88 (on a 3.0-3.19 curve)
no official rank yet but probably top 3%, possibly top 2%
First semester - 2 Cali awards
UVA undergrad, but shitty LSAT/GPA (does that matter for H?)
1 year of interesting WE in a foreign culture
solid PS and LORs from two profs w/Cali awards

Chances at:
H: you'd need to be #1 for a 50/50 shot
CLS: 55%
NYU: 55%
Penn: 60%
UVA: you'll need significant VA ties to be considered. 50%
GULC (deferred EA): don't bother

Should I add Berkley and UCLA? Don't have any real connections to the west coast, but it's pretty nice out there!


Yeah, apply to Berkeley and submit ASAP. Don't bother with UCLA.


Why don't both with these GULC/UCLA?
Also, I don't have any significant ties to VA, but did go to UVA undergrad as an out-of-stater (pretty freaking hard to get in). Does that count or create a slight bump?

User avatar
rorystewart
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby rorystewart » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:40 am

169 LSAT
Top 3% at 80's school

Seeking:
Berkeley
UCLA

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby dakatz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:43 am

rorystewart wrote:169 LSAT
Top 3% at 80's school

Seeking:
Berkeley
UCLA


Your chances are good. LSAT score is irrelevant though. It is just a proxy for how you will perform in law school. I think you will definitely get into UCLA, and still have a solid shot at Berkeley.

odon59
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:07 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby odon59 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:59 pm

Top 5-10% Fordham PT. Chances at NYU or Columbia?

6 years WE/engineering

As an aside, I just want to congratulate everyone in here for a job well done. I know we all want to make the most out of our careers and keep moving up, but there's nothing wrong with stopping to smell the roses for a moment.

CuriousSally
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby CuriousSally » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:36 pm

T25 with a 3.89. Should be in the top 5-7% Grades, chronologically, go A+ A A A A- A- with one cali. No legal writing honors.
Chances at the T7?

User avatar
rorystewart
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby rorystewart » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:45 pm

dakatz wrote:
rorystewart wrote:169 LSAT
Top 3% at 80's school

Seeking:
Berkeley
UCLA


Your chances are good. LSAT score is irrelevant though. It is just a proxy for how you will perform in law school. I think you will definitely get into UCLA, and still have a solid shot at Berkeley.


Think it matters that I bombed one class first semester and now have a B on my transcript? Also, the only CALI I have is in my small LRW class. None in any large substantive classes.

NarwhalPunter
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby NarwhalPunter » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:37 pm

rorystewart wrote:
dakatz wrote:
rorystewart wrote:169 LSAT
Top 3% at 80's school

Seeking:
Berkeley
UCLA


Your chances are good. LSAT score is irrelevant though. It is just a proxy for how you will perform in law school. I think you will definitely get into UCLA, and still have a solid shot at Berkeley.


Think it matters that I bombed one class first semester and now have a B on my transcript? Also, the only CALI I have is in my small LRW class. None in any large substantive classes.


Not even a little bit. Your rank is by far the most important factor.

CuriousSally
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby CuriousSally » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:06 pm

Will no one help Sally? She is so curious...

mscarn23
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:46 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby mscarn23 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:08 pm

#1 at school in 30-40 range. 6 CALI/Book awards in substantive classes, 3 strong recs, ~8 years work experience. Not sure why people are putting their LSAT in with their law school stats, but mine was 175.

Applied to HY/CN/P (have personal reasons for wanting to move to the northeast, hence no S/C).


(I started a thread as well, but that was to get opinions about whether or not transferring would be worth it in my situation).

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby Vronsky » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:12 pm

CuriousSally wrote:T25 with a 3.89. Should be in the top 5-7% Grades, chronologically, go A+ A A A A- A- with one cali. No legal writing honors.
Chances at the T7?

Y - prob not, but maybe worth an app if you want academia
H - good chance
S - prob not, unless u have west coast ties

CCN - almost certainly you'll get at least one of the 3

Headybrah
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby Headybrah » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:19 pm

45-40 ranked school
Top 13%

shots at

BC, BU, Georgetown, Penn, Berkley, Mich

have decent work experience, Masters and such...

User avatar
VinceIrons
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby VinceIrons » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:45 pm

3.57 (probably 10%, though I think just barely) at a t80 north-east school. Chances at places around the t20-t30 band? Mainly interested in Vandy, BU/BC, GW, WashU, & Emory. Also, how bad will it look that I got a 3.75 1st semester, and a 3.37 (4 B+ 1 A-) 2nd semester?




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.