What are your chances?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby SAE » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:14 am

School: T30 (not necessarily #30)
Rank: top 10%

GULC EA
Chicago ED

CN/MVP/DNC

User avatar
geekrocker37
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:26 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby geekrocker37 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:23 am

DeSimone wrote:
geekrocker37 wrote:Top 5%, 3.75, at a school ranked around 70 (well, that was until about 15 min ago).

Chances at

Penn
Columbia
Georgetown RD
Cornell

Why not EA to Georgetown? I'd guess you have a 40-50% chance with that top 5% designation.


EA deadline is today, and I'm not completely sure about it just yet.

sarryn
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:40 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby sarryn » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:18 am

sarryn wrote:What are my chances?

Undergrad GPA/LSAT - Low.
Current school: 4th Tier
GPA: 4.0 - 1/200ish

Applying EA Georgetown and WUSTL. Chicago even worth it?

Assuming my GPA drops a bit this semester, what are my chances with the other Tier 1 schools?


I wanted to ask, which T14 schools are worth applying to? Assuming I can keep my grades up for the second semester.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:18 pm

sarryn wrote:
sarryn wrote:What are my chances?

Undergrad GPA/LSAT - Low.
Current school: 4th Tier
GPA: 4.0 - 1/200ish

Applying EA Georgetown and WUSTL. Chicago even worth it?

Assuming my GPA drops a bit this semester, what are my chances with the other Tier 1 schools?


I wanted to ask, which T14 schools are worth applying to? Assuming I can keep my grades up for the second semester.


I'm pretty sure Berkeley and Michigan took T3/T4 people last year. I'd say those two schools + GULC are the most "forgiving" for school rank provided you are at the tip top of your class. Also, if your T4 is in Chicago, I'd say it's worth the application even if you don't get in (and you would also have a chance at Northwestern).

AugustaMasters
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby AugustaMasters » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:35 pm

Can anyone weigh in on how anticipated summer legal employment factors in to transfer applications?

lawloser22
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:18 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby lawloser22 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:23 pm

geekrocker37 wrote:Top 5%, 3.75, at a school ranked around 70 (well, that was until about 15 min ago).

Chances at

Penn
Columbia
Georgetown RD
Cornell


Penn: Probably around 40-45% overall, but if it's nova/temple probably more like 50-55%
Columbia: 35%
Georgetown RD: 50-55%
Cornell: 45-50%

Zanith wrote:Current school: WUSTL
Target schools: T14 (Preferably CCN/Cornell/UT/Georgetown)
Current rank: top 20%

(Assuming I do well in 2nd semester I should be able to get it into top 15%)


I think you have a good shot at GT, especially if top 15%. UT only if you're from/have significant ties to TX. Cornell doesn't take many, but definitely worth the app fee. Little to no shot at CCN.


SAE wrote:School: T30 (not necessarily #30)
Rank: top 10%

GULC EA
Chicago ED

CN/MVP/DNC


GULC EA/RD: 60% overall
Chicago ED: 35-40%

CN: 30%
MVP: 40-45%
DNC: 50-55%

keg411 wrote:
sarryn wrote:
sarryn wrote:What are my chances?

Undergrad GPA/LSAT - Low.
Current school: 4th Tier
GPA: 4.0 - 1/200ish

Applying EA Georgetown and WUSTL. Chicago even worth it?

Assuming my GPA drops a bit this semester, what are my chances with the other Tier 1 schools?


I wanted to ask, which T14 schools are worth applying to? Assuming I can keep my grades up for the second semester.


I'm pretty sure Berkeley and Michigan took T3/T4 people last year. I'd say those two schools + GULC are the most "forgiving" for school rank provided you are at the tip top of your class. Also, if your T4 is in Chicago, I'd say it's worth the application even if you don't get in (and you would also have a chance at Northwestern).


I completely agree.


AugustaMasters wrote:Can anyone weigh in on how anticipated summer legal employment factors in to transfer applications?


As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to help a whole lot as long as you have something legal related, but I think it can definitely hurt if you don't.

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby SAE » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:36 pm

lawloser22 wrote:
SAE wrote:School: T30 (not necessarily #30)
Rank: top 10%

GULC EA
Chicago ED

CN/MVP/DNC


GULC EA/RD: 60% overall
Chicago ED: 35-40%

CN: 30%
MVP: 40-45%
DNC: 50-55%

I am paricularly curious about GULC EA at this point, as RD depends too much on spring grades. Care to venture a guess?

lawloser22
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:18 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby lawloser22 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:21 pm

SAE wrote:
lawloser22 wrote:
SAE wrote:School: T30 (not necessarily #30)
Rank: top 10%

GULC EA
Chicago ED

CN/MVP/DNC


GULC EA/RD: 60% overall
Chicago ED: 35-40%

CN: 30%
MVP: 40-45%
DNC: 50-55%

I am paricularly curious about GULC EA at this point, as RD depends too much on spring grades. Care to venture a guess?


Sure, 50%. Seems like just about every qualified applicant has no greater than a 50% chance at EA. They must have some way of deciding who to take early vs. who to defer, but no one seems to know what it comes down to.

starkwinter
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:56 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby starkwinter » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:58 pm

Top 30, top 5% for Georgetown EA

Significant work experience in DC between undergrad and law school, and a job there this summer

Pot charge on my record from 2003

mighttransfer
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby mighttransfer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:06 pm

School: now ranked in 60s
Rank: Top 3%
Little W/E

GULC EA

User avatar
DeSimone
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby DeSimone » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:36 am

Looks like lawloser is mia, so I'll take over.
starkwinter wrote:Top 30, top 5% for Georgetown EA

Significant work experience in DC between undergrad and law school, and a job there this summer

Pot charge on my record from 2003

GULC EA: 60%

mighttransfer wrote:School: now ranked in 60s
Rank: Top 3%
Little W/E

GULC EA

GULC EA: 40%

lawnoob
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:29 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby lawnoob » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:09 am

T2- 84 NY Area School

10-15% (closer to 10 it looks like)

3.66

Looking at:
New York Area:
Fordham
Cardozo

California:
UCLA
Pepperdine
USC
San Diego

Florida:
UF
FSU

I don't know if I could get in higher like Washington area schools or in the area I listed

Should I be looking higher or is this about right and what are chances?

PolemisLopez
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:02 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby PolemisLopez » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:00 pm

Current School: Ranked 85-95ish
1st Semester GPA: 3.34 with a 2.67 curve
No class ranking, but past data shows top 20% is always at 3.2, top 10% at 3.4
Strong ties to Virginia and Some ties to Louisiana

Chance me at:
UVA
William and Mary
Richmond
Tulane
LSU
UNC

Thanks!!

lawloser22
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:18 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby lawloser22 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:45 pm

starkwinter wrote:Top 30, top 5% for Georgetown EA

Significant work experience in DC between undergrad and law school, and a job there this summer

Pot charge on my record from 2003


I agree with DeSimone, probably ~60% EA, and 80% RD

mighttransfer wrote:School: now ranked in 60s
Rank: Top 3%
Little W/E

GULC EA


40% sounds about right for EA, 70% RD

lawnoob wrote:T2- 84 NY Area School

10-15% (closer to 10 it looks like)

3.66

Looking at:
New York Area:
Fordham
Cardozo

California:
UCLA
Pepperdine
USC
San Diego

Florida:
UF
FSU

I don't know if I could get in higher like Washington area schools or in the area I listed

Should I be looking higher or is this about right and what are chances?


GULC is definitely worth a shot. 45-50%

Fordham: 60%
Cardozo: 75%

California:
UCLA: 50-55%
Pepperdine: 75%
USC: 60%
San Diego: 85%

Florida:
UF: 75%
FSU: 75%


PolemisLopez wrote:Current School: Ranked 85-95ish
1st Semester GPA: 3.34 with a 2.67 curve
No class ranking, but past data shows top 20% is always at 3.2, top 10% at 3.4
Strong ties to Virginia and Some ties to Louisiana

Chance me at:
UVA: 35-40%
William and Mary: 60%
Richmond: 75%
Tulane: 65%
LSU: 90%
UNC: 60%

Thanks!!


UVA: 35-40%
William and Mary: 60%
Richmond: 75%
Tulane: 65%
LSU: 90%
UNC: 60%

you should try for GULC too 45%

Green Crayons
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:08 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby Green Crayons » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:14 pm

T30. Top ~5%.

Harvard.
Columbia.
NYU.


More than 0%, I hope?

lawschoolfun
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby lawschoolfun » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:13 pm

.
Last edited by lawschoolfun on Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawloser22
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:18 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby lawloser22 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:09 pm

Green Crayons wrote:T30. Top ~5%.

Harvard.
Columbia.
NYU.


More than 0%, I hope?


Haha definitely more than zero. A few students did make the HYS cut with those numbers last year, but I think the chances are about 30-35%. NYU and Columbia both probably around 50-55%, depending on where you're coming from/how many other students from your school apply.


lawschoolfun wrote:cool thread. you have already been a help. lets see how good you are :D .

School: ranked 60-70

Rank: top 25%

Transferring for geographical purposes.

Chances at:
ASU
UofA
Loyola-LA
Pepperdine
U. of San Diego


Thanks!



ASU: 45-50%
UofA: 45-50%
Loyola-LA: 65%
Pepperdine: 65%
U. of San Diego: 80%

User avatar
nyjfanjmk
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby nyjfanjmk » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:08 pm

T2 ranked around 70, 3.64 (top 10-15%)

Georgetown
GW
Fordham
Cardozo
UConn

joeshmoe
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:46 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby joeshmoe » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:03 pm

Mid-T2
Top 15-20% right now, Shooting for 10% by spring

GULC
GWU
W&M
ND
Cornell

Snarleyow
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby Snarleyow » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:53 pm

3.9 at LSN rank between 50-75. Class rank unknown but probably at least top 3%. Public Interest group member, fed soc member. Applying to Colorado. Was admitted when I applied 0L (didn't take it b/c I got a full ride at my current school). 1L summer internship secured in Denver; S/O is in Denver.

Thank you!

lawloser22
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:18 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby lawloser22 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:03 pm

nyjfanjmk wrote:T2 ranked around 70, 3.64 (top 10-15%)

Georgetown
GW
Fordham
Cardozo
UConn


Georgetown 35-45%
GW 55-75%
Fordham 60-80%
Cardozo 70-90%
UConn 70-90%

joeshmoe wrote:Mid-T2
Top 15-20% right now, Shooting for 10% by spring

GULC
GWU
W&M
ND
Cornell


See above

GULC 45% if you end up top 10%
GWU 45-50% now
W&M 50% now
ND 50% now
Cornell - 40% if you end up top 10%


Snarleyow wrote:3.9 at LSN rank between 50-75. Class rank unknown but probably at least top 3%. Public Interest group member, fed soc member. Applying to Colorado. Was admitted when I applied 0L (didn't take it b/c I got a full ride at my current school). 1L summer internship secured in Denver; S/O is in Denver.

Thank you!


99.9%

User avatar
DeSimone
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby DeSimone » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:32 pm

Snarleyow wrote:3.9 at LSN rank between 50-75. Class rank unknown but probably at least top 3%. Public Interest group member, fed soc member. Applying to Colorado. Was admitted when I applied 0L (didn't take it b/c I got a full ride at my current school). 1L summer internship secured in Denver; S/O is in Denver.

Thank you!

Fordham: 80%
Columbia/NYU: 30-40%

you're welcome

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: What are your chances?

Postby democrattotheend » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:10 am

Not really seriously considering it at this point, but just for kicks:

1L at CCN, probably top 10%
Also have RA experience in law school, so I could probably get a good recommendation.

Chances of being accepted to Yale as a transfer? What about Harvard?

Would it be worth transferring?

lawloser22
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:18 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby lawloser22 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:33 am

democrattotheend wrote:Not really seriously considering it at this point, but just for kicks:

1L at CCN, probably top 10%
Also have RA experience in law school, so I could probably get a good recommendation.

Chances of being accepted to Yale as a transfer? What about Harvard?

Would it be worth transferring?


You'll get into both. The consensus seems to be that it's not worth it unless you want academia, especially if you'd be giving up law review by doing so.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: What are your chances?

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:35 am

democrattotheend wrote:Not really seriously considering it at this point, but just for kicks:

1L at CCN, probably top 10%
Also have RA experience in law school, so I could probably get a good recommendation.

Chances of being accepted to Yale as a transfer? What about Harvard?

Would it be worth transferring?

Chances at both. Question would be why.

If you don't make LR... Yale gives transfers a shot at writing on, so you'd get another shot at it. And being at Yale is impressive whether you make LR or not. So it'd be worth it, if you're not leaving LR behind at CCN.

If you make LR where you are...

2) Stay where you are.
3) Profit.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.