What are your chances? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AnyRandChangedmylife

New

Re: What are your chances?

Post by AnyRandChangedmylife » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:36 pm

maf70 wrote:
AnyRandChangedmylife wrote:top 20% T4, applying to Cardozo, NYLS, Brooklyn, Rutgers (both), Seton Hall, Lewis and Clark, Hastings, UCLA, Loyola, U Washington, Gonzaga, Hawaii... any chances at these?
Not good at anything above lower T2. You're wasting your money applying to UCLA or Hastings.
Ok, I won't apply to UCLA. Should I add St. Johns/USF/SeattleU?

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:13 pm

Last edited by maf70 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:24 pm

Top 7.3%, 3.66 at T2 (certain Philadelphia area school that dropped from the 60s --> 80s this year)

BU
BC
Gtown (deferred from EA when I was ~10% after first semester)
UPenn
UVA
NYU
Columbia

(lulz @ the last two)

And to the other guy, I'm trying to get the hell out of Philly. This city is a piece of garbage.

bml1986

New

Post by bml1986 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:42 pm

I am 6/167 at a tier 3 school in Minnesota. I applied to GW and was wondering what my chances are.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:51 pm

Last edited by maf70 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LAvolleyJD

New

Post by LAvolleyJD » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:47 pm

I'm at a upper T2 in the 70s with a 3.74 GPA. No rankings yet, but will definitely be in the top 10%, probably closer to the 5% range (curve is around a 3.0). Working for a federal Magistrate Judge this summer and unofficially interned with a district attorney's office before school started. No other real work experience.

Applying to UCLA and USC... what are my chances>?

derivewhileyouderive

New

Post by derivewhileyouderive » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:05 am

About to start at a mid T-30s in the fall. Where should I be aiming if my goal is NYU?

D.Wilde

Bronze

Post by D.Wilde » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:22 am

derivewhileyouderive wrote:About to start at a mid T-30s in the fall. Where should I be aiming if my goal is NYU?
Stop this. Aiming to transfer at all is basically like playing roulette. Aiming to transfer to HYSCCN is like playing the multi-million state lottery. Even with all the hard work in the world, there is absolutely no way to predict that you will be among the miniscule number of entering law students that gets the opportunity to transfer to these schools. I still consider my grades and my transfer admission to be equivalent to getting hit by lightning while being surrounded by lightning rods.

Where should you be aiming? You should be aiming to be the number 1 student in your class, but then again, everyone is aiming for this regardless.

There's an old adage on these forums that I wholeheartedly ascribe to: Don't go to a school from which you wouldn't be thrilled to graduate. Aim hight, but don't go in with a transfer being the plan, because, to be blunt, it's extremely unlikely that it's going to happen, no matter how hard you work.

derivewhileyouderive

New

Post by derivewhileyouderive » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:29 am

D.Wilde wrote:
derivewhileyouderive wrote:About to start at a mid T-30s in the fall. Where should I be aiming if my goal is NYU?
Stop this. Aiming to transfer at all is basically like playing roulette. Aiming to transfer to HYSCCN is like playing the multi-million state lottery. Even with all the hard work in the world, there is absolutely no way to predict that you will be among the miniscule number of entering law students that gets the opportunity to transfer to these schools. I still consider my grades and my transfer admission to be equivalent to getting hit by lightning while being surrounded by lightning rods.

Where should you be aiming? You should be aiming to be the number 1 student in your class, but then again, everyone is aiming for this regardless.

There's an old adage on these forums that I wholeheartedly ascribe to: Don't go to a school from which you wouldn't be thrilled to graduate. Aim hight, but don't go in with a transfer being the plan, because, to be blunt, it's extremely unlikely that it's going to happen, no matter how hard you work.
I would be happy to graduate from the school I will be attending. I don't plan on transferring as I know the odds aren't great. Was just wondering what kind of grades/rank I would need. More of a "it would be a pleasant surprise if I was in the position to be able to transfer" kind of thing than going into it looking to transfer. I appreciate your advice though, as it does make sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gordon Comstock

New

Post by Gordon Comstock » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:29 am

Class rank just came in for me. I thought I'd be closer to the top 10%, but it's pretty securely top 15%, at a low T1. Applications at GULC (deferred EA), Cornell, Duke, and UPenn (transferring to a non-T14 from a low T1 didn't seem like a big enough jump to be worth it, though I very badly want GULC or Cornell). Did I just lose any of my chances?

Also, I had a transcript sent after I got all my grades but before the class ranks came out. Do I need to have another transcript sent?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:31 am

derivewhileyouderive wrote:
D.Wilde wrote:

I would be happy to graduate from the school I will be attending. I don't plan on transferring as I know the odds aren't great. Was just wondering what kind of grades/rank I would need. More of a "it would be a pleasant surprise if I was in the position to be able to transfer" kind of thing than going into it looking to transfer. I appreciate your advice though, as it does make sense.
You should be "aiming" to be number 1 in your class, as everyone else will be. Chances are extremely slim that you will finish at or close to the very top of your class due to the cold statistics of the situation. Coming from a T30 school, it would be pretty much a given that you are Top 10% if you wish to transfer to a CCN school. You couldn't possibly assume that you will be top 10%.

jstn1104

Bronze

Post by jstn1104 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:37 am

Gordon Comstock wrote: Also, I had a transcript sent after I got all my grades but before the class ranks came out. Do I need to have another transcript sent?
Probably, unless they held it until your rank was ready.

D.Wilde

Bronze

Post by D.Wilde » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:44 am

derivewhileyouderive wrote:
D.Wilde wrote:

Good. After 1L, if you are "pleasantly surprised" and find yourself in the top 5%, you should consider that you might have a solid shot at CCN. If you are slightly less "pleasantly surprised" and find yourself in the top 10%, you might consider applying to a school like NYU to transfer, but it might be a bit more of a stretch.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gbz625

New

Post by gbz625 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:59 am

School Rank: 61
GPA: 3.47 (top 15%) Best Grades in LR.

Applying to Georgetown, GW, and American. Went to GW for Undergrad, for what it's worth.

What are my odds?

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:48 am

gbz625 wrote:School Rank: 61

Applying to Georgetown, GW, and American. Went to GW for Undergrad, for what it's worth.

What are my odds?
Georgetown: 2%
GW: 35%
American: 65%

transferhopefulsd

New

Post by transferhopefulsd » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:31 am

Accepted. Thanks for all the advices.
Last edited by transferhopefulsd on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

sharklasers

New

Post by sharklasers » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:39 am

transferhopefulsd wrote:I am currently at a T4 school. I finished between top 20-25% as a part-time student. I have got one really low grade during my first semester but made up with a top 5 grade during the course's 2nd semester. I have applied to USD and Loyola LA as part-time.My softs are: published as a contributor author in a legal treatise, judicial externship in a State Supreme Court (outside of US), made the moot court team, work as research assistant and research editor during school year, and extensive prior WE. I have 2 very good LORs and PS with very detailed reasons for transferring. What do you think of my chances of getting in those schools? Should I apply to more schools? I would like to stay within CA. Thank you very much for all your advices.
ENJOY FEBRUARY.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

transferhopefulsd

New

Post by transferhopefulsd » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:47 am

sharklasers wrote:
transferhopefulsd wrote:I am currently at a T4 school. I finished between top 20-25% as a part-time student. I have got one really low grade during my first semester but made up with a top 5 grade during the course's 2nd semester. I have applied to USD and Loyola LA as part-time.My softs are: published as a contributor author in a legal treatise, judicial externship in a State Supreme Court (outside of US), made the moot court team, work as research assistant and research editor during school year, and extensive prior WE. I have 2 very good LORs and PS with very detailed reasons for transferring. What do you think of my chances of getting in those schools? Should I apply to more schools? I would like to stay within CA. Thank you very much for all your advices.
ENJOY FEBRUARY.
Well, I guess if it doesn't work this time then I will try again since part-timers can do it after two years. I assume that's what you meant.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:54 am

Top 20-25% at T4 is not good enough to transfer up at all, I don't think. The general rule is you have to be top 10-15% wherever you are to be able to transfer UP. If you're doing a lateral transfer to another T4, then maybe you'd have a shot...but if you really want it may as well throw in the apps.

ClarDarr

Bronze

Post by ClarDarr » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:03 am

Can't remember if I have posted in this thread or not; either way, I love for to be chanced.

~3.85 GPA at a school in the 60s
Top 2%

Columbia
Penn
NYU

Lemme have it!

transferhopefulsd

New

Post by transferhopefulsd » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:10 am

Regionality wrote:
Top 20-25% at T4 is not good enough to transfer up at all, I don't think. The general rule is you have to be top 10-15% wherever you are to be able to transfer UP. If you're doing a lateral transfer to another T4, then maybe you'd have a shot...but if you really want it may as well throw in the apps.
Accepted. Thanks for all the advices.
Last edited by transferhopefulsd on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nstockholm

New

Post by nstockholm » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:12 am

T20. Top 1% (ranked 2).

H/Y/S/C/C/N

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:13 am

nstockholm wrote:T20. Top 1% (ranked 2).

H/Y/S/C/C/N
Yep

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:16 am

What are my odds?
I just got WLed at georgetown from a similarly ranked school with top 7% and law review despite EDing there last year and working in DC this summer. GFL.

nola34

New

Post by nola34 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:21 am

bceagles182 wrote:

What are my odds?
I just got WLed at georgetown from a similarly ranked school with top 7% and law review despite EDing there last year and working in DC this summer. GFL.
Do you have any information/insight to past year transfers that were waitlisted? When (if any) they got in? And since they say they dont "rank" the waitlist how are candidates evaluated when a few spots open up?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”