What are your chances? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Transpher

New

Re: What are your chances?

Post by Transpher » Mon May 09, 2011 10:53 pm

Any thoughts on how much region plays into transfer admissions at HLS? Namely with BC/BU. Is there more pull?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon May 09, 2011 11:15 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
dakatz wrote:Well, now I have a big problem in that, of my 3 first semester profs, there were 2 I was hoping could write me recs (since I did well in their classes and am relatively close with them). But one politely declined (it was nothing personal or anything like that, that prof just doesn't do rec letters). So now I'm left entirely scrambling on this. Not close to any other professors, and my other first semester prof was for a class I didn't do well in. I can't believe that I can now only apply to schools that take 1 rec, instead of requiring 2. Wipes my 2 main choices right off the table. I'm not close at all with any 2nd semester prof, plus they have no clue what my grade would be. I figured that I would go down in a hail of gunfire upon getting a rejection letter from my main choices. At least there would have been closure to it. Now, I can't even apply and will be asking myself "what if".
All the schools I've seen that require 2 LoRs only require "at least one" to be from a faculty member at the law school. Worse comes to worse, ask an undergrad prof to revise an old LoR...or maybe an old employer if you worked prior to law school.
Hmm, one of the 2 schools says "2 letters of rec - preferably from law professors". Maybe I can get away with one law prof rec and one real sparkling undergrad rec that I used the first time around seeing as they say "preferably" so its not like my app is incomplete without 2 law prof recs. The other school though, which is my top choice, is pretty specific "Minimum of 2 letters of rec from law professors". Doesn't sound like I have any wiggle room there.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon May 09, 2011 11:40 pm

Currently above what is traditionally top 10% at my school, but my gut feeling from exams is that I will slip a bit, but it shouldn't be lower than about 15% rank. Assuming I hit between 10%-15% (T25 school), what do you think my chances would be at MVP? And how about CCN? Would falling below the 10% mark be the death sentence to a successful transfer cycle?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue May 10, 2011 11:55 am

Also figured I'd ask this question in here, since it may get lost in the shuffle in the other thread:

I'm looking to write my PS, and just wanted to some feedback on the idea. Its going to be a standard "Why I want to transfer" essay, but I feel like it has a hook in that I was previously admitted to my dream school, but had to turn it down for personal circumstances that have luckily abated. I want to talk about how happy I was to get in and how it was my dream school that I wanted to attend. Then break by saying how personal circumstances made that impossible, but end with the "redemption" section, saying that I'm an even stronger applicant than the one they saw qualified to admit in the past due to the sacrifices I made and the success I've had. Sort of want to use the whole "taking the long road around" attitude, and stress that they are where I wanted to be all along. Does this sound like a relatively good hook that could be worth something, among the 99% of transfer apps coming from kids who were initially rejected or WL'ed?

non sequitur

New

Post by non sequitur » Mon May 16, 2011 5:47 pm

TTT - ~12%
Looking at a T1 school (ranked in the 20s). Same state as original school with significant ties. No Spring grades yet, but feeling confident my rank will at least remain stagnant. Chances?

Also, is it worth abandoning about a 50% scholly for sticker for this type of transfer, assuming I can get in?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jsarna1

New

Post by jsarna1 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:50 pm

Top 10% at Texas with a feeling I crushed the spring exams. Taking Con Law in undergrad was quite helpful...

Thoughts on HYS?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed May 18, 2011 8:53 pm

jsarna1 wrote:Top 10% at Texas with a feeling I crushed the spring exams. Taking Con Law in undergrad was quite helpful...

Thoughts on HYS?
If you really killed the spring exams and end up around top 5%, then I'd say you got a solid chance. But top 10% doesn't cut it for HYS from Texas I don't think. Though you stand real good shot at one of CCN, I'd guess.

tww909

Bronze

Post by tww909 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:20 am

top 5% (3.75 on a 3.0 curve) at a T35 feeling good about spring exams (though not LRW). All things considered I may move up a tiny bit, I may move down a bit, but I don't think I'm moving far either way.

Thinking about applying HYSCCN and maybe MVPB.

Chances? Also thoughts about the potential for getting academia as a transfer? We don't have grade on law review here, so I'm doing the write on now, so that's not a guarantee with staying.

plaintiff-appellee

New

Post by plaintiff-appellee » Thu May 19, 2011 12:49 pm

7% at a T30 after Spring grades

Harvard
Columbia
Chicago
NYU
Pennsylvania
Virginia
Duke
Georgetown

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Thu May 19, 2011 1:47 pm

Transpher wrote:Any thoughts on how much region plays into transfer admissions at HLS? Namely with BC/BU. Is there more pull?
They are probably better represented than other T30s, but to put that in perspective I think there were more transfers this year from Cornell than from BC/BU combined. So any perceived preference is minimal or could just be a product of self-selection.
non sequitur wrote:TTT - ~12%
Looking at a T1 school (ranked in the 20s). Same state as original school with significant ties. No Spring grades yet, but feeling confident my rank will at least remain stagnant. Chances?

Also, is it worth abandoning about a 50% scholly for sticker for this type of transfer, assuming I can get in?
I may be in the minority, but I don't think that giving up a significant scholarship at a TTT to transfer to a T30 is worth it. You are still unlikely to get biglaw (at least through OCI), it will still be very tough to land an Art III clerkship, and you would still have almost zero chance at academia. It seems like you end up with similar prospects but twice as much debt. Maybe someone who made this type of transfer can correct me.
tww909 wrote:top 5% (3.75 on a 3.0 curve) at a T35 feeling good about spring exams (though not LRW). All things considered I may move up a tiny bit, I may move down a bit, but I don't think I'm moving far either way.

Thinking about applying HYSCCN and maybe MVPB.

Chances? Also thoughts about the potential for getting academia as a transfer? We don't have grade on law review here, so I'm doing the write on now, so that's not a guarantee with staying.
I would only apply to T6 in your position. You have a shot at H and will almost certainly get one of CCN.

I don't think that transfer status in itself hurts your chances of academia relative to other T6 students. You miss out on the flagship LR (most likely), but as long as you keep your grades up, work a secondary journal and land a competitive clerkship you should still be in the running. Just work like hell to get published.
plaintiff-appellee wrote:7% at a T30 after Spring grades

Harvard
Columbia
Chicago
NYU
Pennsylvania
Virginia
Duke
Georgetown
Good chance at most of these schools except for H. I would still put in the app, but you really need top 5% or better.

plaintiff-appellee

New

Post by plaintiff-appellee » Thu May 19, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks for your help. How good of a chance is a "good chance"? Could I count on getting into one of these schools? I would like to limit transfer apps to just my top choices: Harvard, Columbia, NYU, and Duke. I have one grade outstanding so I still might achieve 5% if I get an A. I guess I will put in a transfer app to Harvard if I get the A. Otherwise, I will avoid unnecessarily swelling their endowment.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu May 19, 2011 6:55 pm

Can you submit an app through LSAC before you attach personal statements, recommendations, etc.? I'm looking to send in all those other things separately and just get the main app in to start a file. Anyone know?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu May 19, 2011 6:56 pm

kaiser wrote:Can you submit an app through LSAC before you attach personal statements, recommendations, etc.? I'm looking to send in all those other things separately and just get the main app in to start a file. Anyone know?
You should wait until you have everything except grades. They're not gonna consider an incomplete file anyway. The only advantage to submitting without grades is that you're in before the deadline if your grades are late at your school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Thu May 19, 2011 7:12 pm

plaintiff-appellee wrote:Thanks for your help. How good of a chance is a "good chance"? Could I count on getting into one of these schools? I would like to limit transfer apps to just my top choices: Harvard, Columbia, NYU, and Duke. I have one grade outstanding so I still might achieve 5% if I get an A. I guess I will put in a transfer app to Harvard if I get the A. Otherwise, I will avoid unnecessarily swelling their endowment.
You will very likely get at least one of CLS/NYU, especially if you have meaningful work experience. Not sure about Duke because I think they take a much smaller transfer class.

gags12

New

Post by gags12 » Thu May 19, 2011 8:35 pm

Top 5% at school in 15-20 range, not sure whether I'll be in the top 5% after spring exams, but certainly top 10%.

Chances at:
NYU
Penn
Georgetown
Yale
Columbia

Reason for transferring: Want to work on the East Coast.

uzpakalis

Bronze

Post by uzpakalis » Thu May 19, 2011 9:29 pm

What's wrong with Harvard?

gags12

New

Post by gags12 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:53 pm

uzpakalis wrote:What's wrong with Harvard?
1) Didn't think it was a particularly viable option (same for Yale, not sure why I threw it in there) and
2) I'm more interested in staying closer to the DC area so really Penn, Georgetown, and perhaps the NY schools are where I would prefer to attend.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

abc8

New

Post by abc8 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:47 am

School rank: 18
Class rank: Top 25%

Chances at:
Penn
Georgetown
Duke
Cornell

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri May 20, 2011 11:08 am

abc8 wrote:School rank: 18

Chances at:
Penn
Georgetown
Duke
Cornell
I'm going to say unlikely at all of them. Aside from that, I don't see the advantage for you in trying to.

abc8

New

Post by abc8 » Fri May 20, 2011 12:03 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
abc8 wrote:School rank: 18

Chances at:
Penn
Georgetown
Duke
Cornell
I'm going to say unlikely at all of them. Aside from that, I don't see the advantage for you in trying to.
Closer to home, closer to the market I want to work (Philly or DC).

Class rank is pre-spring grades. If I move into the top 20%, would any of those schools become a viable option?

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Fri May 20, 2011 5:22 pm

Top 15% school from 40-50

Want to work on east coast

thinking shooting apps to

Georgetown, BC, BU... any other ideas I could also be around top ~10 as well

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Sun May 22, 2011 4:41 am

MVP to CCN top 1/3rd chances??
Last edited by plum on Mon May 23, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OnWisconsin

Bronze

Post by OnWisconsin » Mon May 23, 2011 11:05 am

Top 15% From lower Midwest T2/T3 (keeps moving in the rankings).

Background: University of Wisconsin undergrad, plenty of work and volunteer experience, all family and contacts back in Wisco.

Looking at Marquette or possibly Wisconsin (preferred).

Shake that magic 8ball and let me know what you think.

blbtr

New

Post by blbtr » Tue May 24, 2011 3:13 pm

Top 30 school, top 6% for the year

In at GULC EA, two years BigLaw WE.

Harvard
Columbia
NYU
Michigan
Penn
UVA (Virginia resident, went to UVA undergrad)

Thanks.

lawloser22

Bronze

Post by lawloser22 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:46 pm

Headybrah wrote:Top 15% school from 40-50

Want to work on east coast

thinking shooting apps to

Georgetown, BC, BU... any other ideas I could also be around top ~10 as well
GT will probably be your ceiling if you don't break top 10%. I'd guess 40% chance. Maybe try Vandy? You should have no problem getting BC or BU.
plum wrote:MVP to CCN top 1/3rd chances??
45-50%
OnWisconsin wrote:Top 15% From lower Midwest T2/T3 (keeps moving in the rankings).

Background: University of Wisconsin undergrad, plenty of work and volunteer experience, all family and contacts back in Wisco.

Looking at Marquette or possibly Wisconsin (preferred).

Shake that magic 8ball and let me know what you think.
Marquette: 85%
Wisconsin: 45-50%
blbtr wrote:Top 30 school, top 6% for the year

In at GULC EA, two years BigLaw WE.

Harvard: 35%
Columbia: 50% (+10% if Fordham)
NYU: 50% (+10% if Fordham)
Michigan: 55%
Penn: 55%
UVA (Virginia resident, went to UVA undergrad): 60%

Thanks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?