Will I get a boost? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
maf70

Bronze

Will I get a boost?

Post by maf70 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:15 pm

If I happened to be a direct descendant of the brother (same parents) of the founder of a T-14 university, should I include it in my personal statement for transfer? I feel like I can turn this into a compelling argument for admission, but I want other opinions.

Also, what kind of boost, if any, do you think it would give me with my numbers? Think non-HYS.
Im a 3.8, Ranked 2 of 180+ at a TTT.

I figure I need all the help I can get and just want to know if it's worth using this to my advantage.

Thanks.
Last edited by maf70 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Gold

Re: Will I get a boost?

Post by fatduck » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:49 pm

So your great-great-uncle is James Duke? I don't know how much of a boost you'll get but it seems worth mentioning. You probably have a shot at lower T14 with your numbers alone, anyway.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:24 pm

It would be for Penn.

j7108

New

Post by j7108 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:58 pm

That's a new one. I'm kind of interested to see what people will say.

lawloser22

Bronze

Post by lawloser22 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:05 pm

If you're absolutely positive of this and can prove it, then I'd call their admissions office and see if they think that would be something they might like to know about. If you do include it, just make sure you do it in a way that says "I really want to go to Penn bc..." and not "I feel I am entitled to an admissions boost bc..."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:06 pm

maf70 wrote:It would be for Penn.
Being a direct descendant of Ben Franklin (edit: Ben Franklin's brother) is just fucking cool all by itself.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:32 pm

lawloser22 wrote:If you're absolutely positive of this and can prove it, then I'd call their admissions office and see if they think that would be something they might like to know about. If you do include it, just make sure you do it in a way that says "I really want to go to Penn bc..." and not "I feel I am entitled to an admissions boost bc..."
This is what I was planning on doing. I thought I might be able to use it for a really unique/ cool intro that might get their attention. Also, I dont know how to substantiate it other than by adding the part of my family tree that traces it directly back. Maybe add this as an addendum?

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:35 pm

maf70 wrote:
lawloser22 wrote:If you're absolutely positive of this and can prove it, then I'd call their admissions office and see if they think that would be something they might like to know about. If you do include it, just make sure you do it in a way that says "I really want to go to Penn bc..." and not "I feel I am entitled to an admissions boost bc..."
This is what I was planning on doing. I thought I might be able to use it for a really unique/ cool intro that might get their attention. Also, I dont know how to substantiate it other than by adding the part of my family tree that traces it directly back. Maybe add this as an addendum?
You don't have to give them the evidence up front. You would have to be monumentally stupid to claim this if it's not true. If they want verification, they will ask for it.

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:56 pm

This is the best "soft" for transfer admissions I have ever heard of!!!

You gotta report back on this thread later on and let us know what they said/how it worked out!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:09 pm

I emailed Penn and they agreed that it would be a good idea to add an addendum. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:12 pm

maf70 wrote:I emailed Penn and they agreed that it would be a good idea to add an addendum. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
QFThey'reF*****gWithYou. But please do report back.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:16 pm

"My family has a deep and long-standing relationship with this wonderful University. Many years ago, Benjamin Franklin, or great great granddaddy Benny, as I fondly know him, decided to..."

almightypush

Bronze

Post by almightypush » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:21 pm

dakatz wrote:"My family has a deep and long-standing relationship with this wonderful University. Many years ago, Benjamin Franklin, or great great granddaddy Benny, as I fondly know him, decided to..."
lulz.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

j7108

New

Post by j7108 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:43 pm

I wish I had something like this for an ivy man because in this economy every little bit helps!

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:11 pm

j7108 wrote:I wish I had something like this for an ivy man because in this economy every little bit helps!
Exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for the response.

lolok

New

Post by lolok » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:21 pm

Just FYI, Ben Franklin wasn't the founder of Penn Law (that would be James Wilson).

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:22 pm

lolok wrote:Just FYI, Ben Franklin wasn't the founder of Penn Law (that would be James Wilson).
Wiki says he is. Shrug.
Benjamin Franklin, Penn's founder, advocated an educational program that focused as much on practical education for commerce and public service as on the classics and theology.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:28 pm

Tanicius wrote:
lolok wrote:Just FYI, Ben Franklin wasn't the founder of Penn Law (that would be James Wilson).
Wiki says he is. Shrug.
Benjamin Franklin, Penn's founder, advocated an educational program that focused as much on practical education for commerce and public service as on the classics and theology.
Penn website says he is the founder, so I'm gonna go with that

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:41 pm

James Wilson founded the law school (not the university) and was their first law professor.

Do your research yo.
Last edited by maf70 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lolok

New

Post by lolok » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:41 pm

Check it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University ... Law_School

Also, I was nominated for the James Wilson scholarship at Penn, and the e-mail clearly stated that Wilson was the founder of the law school. Franklin's the founder of the university, though.

EDIT: Being related to either of them is still pretty cool though.
Last edited by lolok on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:43 pm

lolok wrote:Check it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University ... Law_School

Also, I was nominated for the James Wilson scholarship at Penn, and the e-mail clearly stated that Wilson was the founder of the law school. Franklin's the founder for the university, though.
lolok.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:44 pm

Also, I was nominated for the James Wilson scholarship at Penn, and the e-mail clearly stated that Wilson was the founder of the law school. Franklin's the founder of the university, though.

You told him.

Wait.
maf70 wrote:
James Wilson founded the law school (not the university) and was their first law professor.

Do your research yo.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:47 pm

I'm still not sold.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:51 pm

never said he founded the law school.

i concede the point that james wilson founded the law school. you can find it on their law school's website.

also, ben franklin is better.

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:59 pm

I doubt that you'd get much of a boost, if you get one at all. Does your family contribute to the university or law school in any way? Are your parents or grandparents on a roster of notable people associated with the school? Are you in contact with the other people claiming to be descendants of the more famous brother? What you seem to expect is a legacy admission nod despite not having any recent connection to school. Why didn't you use this when you were applying for 1L?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”