New York Law School with a 3.94 GPA

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bramwell
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:29 pm

New York Law School with a 3.94 GPA

Postby Bramwell » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Hi all. I did well in the first year with a 3.94 GPA. Im considering staying put at NYLS and hopefully getting an invite to law review and Harlan Scholars program (top 15% at the end of first year). This includes a scholarship of 30K a year.


What are the opportunities at NY area schools that are higher up the totem pole?
Last edited by Bramwell on Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: New York Law School with a 3.82 GPA

Postby zomginternets » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:23 am

I haven't seen any info on this website about transferring out of country. make sure they let you transfer the class credit for your 1st year of law school.

What is your class rank?

Other NY schools: Columbia, NYU, Fordham, Brooklyn, Cardozo, Cornell (i'm sure there are more, these are just the ones that come to mind). I would imagine Brooklyn and Cardozo wouldn't be too hard, although with a 30K/year scholarship I'm not sure it's worth transferring to anything less than Fordham.

That said, I'm not sure what kind of reputation NYLS has as a law school.

Bramwell
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: New York Law School with a 3.82 GPA

Postby Bramwell » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:09 am

zomginternets wrote:What is your class rank?


I asked at Academic affairs and they said that since the grade curve varies from year to year, they wont know until the end of Spring semester. (I don't understand why they cant just look at the spread of Fall grades and determine where it stands now.) That said, the dean of Academic affairs said she was certain that 3.82 would fall at least in the top 10% if not higher


Do any NY schools offer scholarships to transfer students? Even at Fordham, I dont know if can justify full tuition.

dshirs32
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: New York Law School with a 3.82 GPA

Postby dshirs32 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:17 am

First off, congrats on the awesome first semester grades. If you want to get a good job in the NYC legal legal market, then TRANSFER to nothing less than Fordham. I would take Fordham at sticker over NYLS with 30k/year as Fordham is well-respected and can open doors to good opportunities. That being said, if you want to practice law in Canada, then go to law school in Canada and NOT NYLS. Good luck

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: New York Law School with a 3.82 GPA

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:10 am

There's no way that 3.82 at NYLS is anything less than top 5%...most T3s have ridiculous curves, that should be way up near the top of the class.

Rule11
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: New York Law School with a 3.82 GPA

Postby Rule11 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:53 am

Whatever you do, don't transfer to Fordham. That would be crazy. You won't get any scholarship, and your employment opportunities won't be much better. As a transfer, you have to assume you'll be treated as roughly a median student by employers (at least at OCI). Median at Fordham and $2.25 will get you a metrocard.

You can and should aim higher. 3.82 at NYLS puts you in contention for NYU, in my opinion, and maybe Columbia as well. Lower T14s are definitely doable, and should be your targets.

At any rate, keep up the good work--a lot can happen between now and the end of second semester.

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: New York Law School with a 3.82 GPA

Postby seespotrun » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:11 pm

Rule11 wrote:Whatever you do, don't transfer to Fordham. That would be crazy. You won't get any scholarship, and your employment opportunities won't be much better. As a transfer, you have to assume you'll be treated as roughly a median student by employers (at least at OCI). Median at Fordham and $2.25 will get you a metrocard.

You can and should aim higher. 3.82 at NYLS puts you in contention for NYU, in my opinion, and maybe Columbia as well. Lower T14s are definitely doable, and should be your targets.

At any rate, keep up the good work--a lot can happen between now and the end of second semester.


This. Assuming that you are, indeed, in the top 5%, you should not transfer to any school (barring personal exceptions) that's ranked below 20th. Keep up the good work!

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: New York Law School with a 3.82 GPA

Postby concurrent fork » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:22 pm

seespotrun wrote:
Rule11 wrote:Whatever you do, don't transfer to Fordham. That would be crazy. You won't get any scholarship, and your employment opportunities won't be much better. As a transfer, you have to assume you'll be treated as roughly a median student by employers (at least at OCI). Median at Fordham and $2.25 will get you a metrocard.

You can and should aim higher. 3.82 at NYLS puts you in contention for NYU, in my opinion, and maybe Columbia as well. Lower T14s are definitely doable, and should be your targets.

At any rate, keep up the good work--a lot can happen between now and the end of second semester.


This. Assuming that you are, indeed, in the top 5%, you should not transfer to any school (barring personal exceptions) that's ranked below 20th. Keep up the good work!

So OP should transfer to WUSTL but not Fordham/BC/BU? This is why I hate USNWR.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: New York Law School with a 3.82 GPA

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:53 pm

T14 or bust with that GPA I would say. No reason to transfer up and pay sticker at a T25/T30.

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: New York Law School with a 3.82 GPA

Postby zomginternets » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:53 pm

Bramwell wrote:Do any NY schools offer scholarships to transfer students? Even at Fordham, I dont know if can justify full tuition.


No, transfer schools never offer any scholarships.

Bramwell
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: New York Law School with a 3.82 GPA

Postby Bramwell » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:03 pm

Thanks all for your congratulations and advice! I should clarify a point that may have been blurred somewhere in the thread. I still dont have a rank assigned to the 3.82. Someone theorized that this is top 5%. Whether this is true, I dont know.

Wow, so you really think I have a chance at NYU or Columbia? :)

Do transfer schools still look at LSAT scores? I got a 161 and my under grad GPA was 3.9

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: New York Law School with a 3.82 GPA

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:16 pm

No. With that 3.9, you could have gotten into a lot of Tier 2s, why NYLS?

I would be shocked if it is not much better than top 5%. Apply to NYU and CLS. If you don't need to stay in NY, apply to Chicago and Georgetown.

Bramwell
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: New York Law School with a 3.82 GPA

Postby Bramwell » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:29 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:No. With that 3.9, you could have gotten into a lot of Tier 2s, why NYLS?


The tier 2s in the region weren't being that generous on scholarships and for this year. I was constrained to NY
Last edited by Bramwell on Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: New York Law School with a 3.82 GPA

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:36 pm

You should have a really good shot at GULC as I said above. Apply early action so you won't have to use next semester's grades, and you can have a 'fallback' option if NYU and CLS don't come through.

UCLAtransfer
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: New York Law School with a 3.82 GPA

Postby UCLAtransfer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:39 am

i can't say for sure, but i seem to remember something about fordham not allowing transfers to participate in oci, so it should absolutely be crossed off your list if it was ever on it in the first place, haha.

if you are in the top 5% you have a very good shot at t14.

Bramwell
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: New York Law School with a 3.82 GPA

Postby Bramwell » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:36 pm

UCLAtransfer wrote:i can't say for sure, but i seem to remember something about fordham not allowing transfers to participate in oci, so it should absolutely be crossed off your list if it was ever on it in the first place, haha.

if you are in the top 5% you have a very good shot at t14.


Interesting point you make. If they exclude you from OCI, there really is no point in transferring there. As I see it, the only point in transferring is for jobs prospects. Academically, I am fine where I am. Suffice it to say, that I would not shell out sticker price at a NY school just for a more "elite" academic experience...

What do these schools want to see aside from class ranking in 1L?

Coolgrnmen
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: New York Law School with a 3.82 GPA

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:57 am

Bramwell wrote:
UCLAtransfer wrote:i can't say for sure, but i seem to remember something about fordham not allowing transfers to participate in oci, so it should absolutely be crossed off your list if it was ever on it in the first place, haha.

if you are in the top 5% you have a very good shot at t14.


Interesting point you make. If they exclude you from OCI, there really is no point in transferring there. As I see it, the only point in transferring is for jobs prospects. Academically, I am fine where I am. Suffice it to say, that I would not shell out sticker price at a NY school just for a more "elite" academic experience...

What do these schools want to see aside from class ranking in 1L?

Most of them want to see ranking and a genuine interest in the school...a reason to transfer.


By the way, I met with the Dean today and he was kind enough to share with me that top 10% has been falling between 3.5 and 3.6. You are definitely at least top 5%.

My advice - Apply NYU, Columbia, Berkeley, Stanford, U Chicago, and Northwestern.

You have to be in the top 5% for the first 4 and top 10% in last two in order to be competitive. No auto-admits but you have a decent chance!

Don't apply to anything outside the T20 to pay sticker...that's silly.

Bramwell
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: New York Law School with a 3.82 GPA

Postby Bramwell » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Bramwell wrote:
UCLAtransfer wrote:i can't say for sure, but i seem to remember something about fordham not allowing transfers to participate in oci, so it should absolutely be crossed off your list if it was ever on it in the first place, haha.

if you are in the top 5% you have a very good shot at t14.


Interesting point you make. If they exclude you from OCI, there really is no point in transferring there. As I see it, the only point in transferring is for jobs prospects. Academically, I am fine where I am. Suffice it to say, that I would not shell out sticker price at a NY school just for a more "elite" academic experience...

What do these schools want to see aside from class ranking in 1L?

Most of them want to see ranking and a genuine interest in the school...a reason to transfer.


By the way, I met with the Dean today and he was kind enough to share with me that top 10% has been falling between 3.5 and 3.6. You are definitely at least top 5%.

My advice - Apply NYU, Columbia, Berkeley, Stanford, U Chicago, and Northwestern.

You have to be in the top 5% for the first 4 and top 10% in last two in order to be competitive. No auto-admits but you have a decent chance!

Don't apply to anything outside the T20 to pay sticker...that's silly.

Interesting. Did the dean mention anything about additional offers to convince top students to stay at NYLS?

Coolgrnmen
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: New York Law School with a 3.82 GPA

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:12 pm

Bramwell wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Bramwell wrote:
UCLAtransfer wrote:i can't say for sure, but i seem to remember something about fordham not allowing transfers to participate in oci, so it should absolutely be crossed off your list if it was ever on it in the first place, haha.

if you are in the top 5% you have a very good shot at t14.


Interesting point you make. If they exclude you from OCI, there really is no point in transferring there. As I see it, the only point in transferring is for jobs prospects. Academically, I am fine where I am. Suffice it to say, that I would not shell out sticker price at a NY school just for a more "elite" academic experience...

What do these schools want to see aside from class ranking in 1L?

Most of them want to see ranking and a genuine interest in the school...a reason to transfer.


By the way, I met with the Dean today and he was kind enough to share with me that top 10% has been falling between 3.5 and 3.6. You are definitely at least top 5%.

My advice - Apply NYU, Columbia, Berkeley, Stanford, U Chicago, and Northwestern.

You have to be in the top 5% for the first 4 and top 10% in last two in order to be competitive. No auto-admits but you have a decent chance!

Don't apply to anything outside the T20 to pay sticker...that's silly.

Interesting. Did the dean mention anything about additional offers to convince top students to stay at NYLS?

Nope, I didn't talk to him about transferring. The Dean would be the last person to encourage me to apply or be happy that I was considering applying. His opinion is a little bias.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.