STCL to Texas ?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bayou2011

STCL to Texas ?

Postby bayou2011 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:17 pm

I'm a 1L at South Texas in the top 1%. I'm considering transferring to UT and struggling with the usual factors.

For anyone who knows (or has done it):

1.) Are you still able to participate in OCI ?
2) Are you still able to write on to law review or another journal?
3.) Are you precluded from being an editor?
4.) Are most 2L-3L classes still graded on a curve?

patrickd139

Re: STCL to Texas ?

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:49 pm

I'll leave your specific (and valid) questions to Texas students. However, UT is notoriously difficult to transfer to. Texas residency, liking UT/Austin, high class ranking, and increased job prospects are likely necessary, but not sufficient. Work really hard on your application to express why you need to be at UT.

Congrats on killing it at STCL. That's awesome. If you want to stay in the Houston job market after graduation, I wouldn't settle for anywhere other that UT or T14. Good luck with your application!

bayou2011

Postby bayou2011 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:26 am

patrickd139 wrote:I'll leave your specific (and valid) questions to Texas students. However, UT is notoriously difficult to transfer to. Texas residency, liking UT/Austin, high class ranking, and increased job prospects are likely necessary, but not sufficient. Work really hard on your application to express why you need to be at UT.

Congrats on killing it at STCL. That's awesome. If you want to stay in the Houston job market after graduation, I wouldn't settle for anywhere other that UT or T14. Good luck with your application!

Thanks for the advice! I know of some former students here that transferred to UT but I'm not sure what compelling circumstances they wrote about. If any current UT students are willing to share their advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:14 am

Just as a small anecdote, I have a parent that went to a tier 4 TX school and then transfered to UT. However that was quite a while ago and I agree with above poster that it is pretty hard. However with you being in the top 1%, I'd say it can be done. Good luck, by the way....I'm seriously considering going to STCL next year--anything I should know?--or know that they don't tell you going in?

bayou2011

Postby bayou2011 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:48 pm

txadv11 wrote:Just as a small anecdote, I have a parent that went to a tier 4 TX school and then transfered to UT. However that was quite a while ago and I agree with above poster that it is pretty hard. However with you being in the top 1%, I'd say it can be done. Good luck, by the way....I'm seriously considering going to STCL next year--anything I should know?--or know that they don't tell you going in?

Thanks. I can't think of any big surprises -- everything they say is true! The staff and professors seem to truly want to help everyone be successful. One general observation is that the administration isn't always good at communicating information. You have to stay on top of things like financial aid but that's to be expected anywhere.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:38 am

txadv11, there isn't a ton of STCL participation on this forum, but there is a thread in the Discuss your Law School forum in case you haven't found that.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60

Return to “Transfers”