Please Advise (because I really don't know)

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rshakle

Please Advise (because I really don't know)

Postby rshakle » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:19 am

I'm almost top 25% (between top 25% and top 30% to be more precise) at my current Chicago T2 (lets say Kent)

Do I have a realistic shot at transferring to UIUC or Wash U?
WUSTL has an early action program that states that top 20-25% applicants are competitive, is it worth it to apply since I am currently slightly out of that category?

If UIUC and Wash U are out of range, what are my chances at Iowa, Bloomington, Madison, OSU, Notre Dame?

Please don't consider whether transferring would make sense in my particular case, I'm simply asking where (generally) I can expect to be able to transfer given my stats.

Any help would be appreciated.

dissonance1848

Re: Please Advise (because I really don't know)

Postby dissonance1848 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:23 am

Why Kent? Chicago Loyola, don't deny it. Around top quarter should have some shot at WUSTL and UIUC, much better chance at IUB, OSU, not sure about ND.

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:08 am

Prob not in at WUSTL. Wait until you get spring grades and then apply at all of them. It's only money, and if you don't you'll always wonder what COULD have been...

rshakle

Postby rshakle » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:56 pm

I'm certainly not concerned with the application fees and will definitely apply to all of them. The only question left is should I apply now (early) or regular (and try to better my 28%)? This has got me stumped.

Advice appreciated.

rshakle

Postby rshakle » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:26 pm

To clarify, I would hate to apply to WUSTL early only to be rejected early when I can try to better my top28-29% rank after second semester.

I would love to go to WUSTL and do not want to ruin my chances by applying too early. On the other hand, early action may make it easier to get in. I wonder if they reject borderline early action applicants or waitlist them and consider them with the regular transfer applications in June. IS anyone more familiar with the process?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:31 pm

OP: you realize T2 Chicago schools and WUSTL serve different legal markets, yes? Picture it as the Venn Diagram below. A is T2 Chicago job market served, B is WUSTL job market served. C is the overlap.

My point is, if you want market A, make sure you know you're going from A to B.
deleted

rshakle

Postby rshakle » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:16 pm

Yes I am aware, although I would argue that that the overlap is a little larger than your diagram would seem to indicate. Regardless, I'm not married to the Chicago market and will likely (if my grades improve sufficiently) apply to schools in completely different markets. I have a few reasons for wanting out of my current school, and am basically interested in knowing which schools I should be targeting with my current grades. As strange as it sounds, I'm open to considering great schools in any market.

In the short term I'm targeting UIUC and WUSTL though.

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:44 pm

I would wait until the spring. Work on getting your GPA up, and then apply with a straight face.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:33 pm

Magic 8 Ball Says: Not likely. Top 30% isn't good enough to move up. If you end up with top 10-15% cumulative (which would require a top 1-5% performance in your second semester,) you may have a shot.

Ultimately, it's just money for a few application fees, but eh.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:51 pm

rshakle wrote:Yes I am aware, although I would argue that that the overlap is a little larger than your diagram would seem to indicate. Regardless, I'm not married to the Chicago market and will likely (if my grades improve sufficiently) apply to schools in completely different markets. I have a few reasons for wanting out of my current school, and am basically interested in knowing which schools I should be targeting with my current grades. As strange as it sounds, I'm open to considering great schools in any market.

In the short term I'm targeting UIUC and WUSTL though.

As to the bolded, I would argue not really. According to WUSTL's own career services numbers, only 16% of its graduates from the class of 2008 ended up in "East North Central States". Even assuming that 100% of that 16% went to Chicago (an absurd assumption, as that 16% is spread out across IL, IN, MI, OH, and WI), that's still not a lot. It's even smaller percentage wise if you want biglaw.

Again, not saying you shouldn't transfer, just realize what you're likely to get (and not get) in doing so. If you want Chicago (esp. biglaw, but even mid-law) I wouldn't do it.

Return to “Transfers”