Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
xmeta

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby xmeta » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:42 pm

I'm probably over-optimistic here, but it looks like in past years rejects and WL's were sent via email and it doesn't sound like anyone bumped to today's date received either. Also, I can't tell for sure, but didn't some folks in this cycle who were EA deferred get accepted after applying to Both and not see their status change to FT or PT?

lsltyf

Postby lsltyf » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:11 pm

xmeta wrote:I'm probably over-optimistic here, but it looks like in past years rejects and WL's were sent via email and it doesn't sound like anyone bumped to today's date received either. Also, I can't tell for sure, but didn't some folks in this cycle who were EA deferred get accepted after applying to Both and not see their status change to FT or PT?

I believe you are correct. Last year there was the change from FT/PT to just one, but not this year during EA.

I believe there will be some acceptances at a minimum.

pretzels

Postby pretzels » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:17 pm

i sent the admissions people some updated materials over the past few days, and i changed to Application Complete today. Before I checked TLS, I called GULC to see if the status change was just a reflection of my new materials being added. I asked the lady if this status change meant that a decision had been made, and she checked my file and said that it just meant that it was currently under review. I didnt call expecting to get a decision over the phone, but it seemed like they just havent made one yet. Im not really sure what all this means though.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:21 pm

pretzels wrote:i sent the admissions people some updated materials over the past few days, and i changed to Application Complete today. Before I checked TLS, I called GULC to see if the status change was just a reflection of my new materials being added. I asked the lady if this status change meant that a decision had been made, and she checked my file and said that it just meant that it was currently under review. I didnt call expecting to get a decision over the phone, but it seemed like they just havent made one yet. Im not really sure what all this means though.

Doesn't it mean what she said? Your file is under review? No decision yet made?

Here's my general rule of thumb that makes sense to me:

There are not a lot of applicants during the transfer cycle and these adcoms can make decisions VERY quickly since it's nearly all a numbers game. They've done their homework and know how much weight they assign to each school you're coming from. If they want you, they're going to accept you very quickly once your file is complete. If they don't they will string you along to see if they need someone to fill a space that someone else didn't take...

They know how quickly this is all moving and they're on their A-game. They will let the people they want know asap.

lsltyf

Postby lsltyf » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:44 pm

Regionality wrote:
pretzels wrote:i sent the admissions people some updated materials over the past few days, and i changed to Application Complete today. Before I checked TLS, I called GULC to see if the status change was just a reflection of my new materials being added. I asked the lady if this status change meant that a decision had been made, and she checked my file and said that it just meant that it was currently under review. I didnt call expecting to get a decision over the phone, but it seemed like they just havent made one yet. Im not really sure what all this means though.

Doesn't it mean what she said? Your file is under review? No decision yet made?

Here's my general rule of thumb that makes sense to me:

There are not a lot of applicants during the transfer cycle and these adcoms can make decisions VERY quickly since it's nearly all a numbers game. They've done their homework and know how much weight they assign to each school you're coming from. If they want you, they're going to accept you very quickly once your file is complete. If they don't they will string you along to see if they need someone to fill a space that someone else didn't take...

They know how quickly this is all moving and they're on their A-game. They will let the people they want know asap.

Email just came in.... ding

lawfuture10

Postby lawfuture10 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:44 pm

out as well 2-3% T2

fanlinxun

Postby fanlinxun » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Ding, 5% at T2. At least the letter was straightforward and didn't try to sugar coat the denial.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:50 pm

are these form emails or independently addressed. and at what time were they sent?

oktransferok

Postby oktransferok » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:53 pm

Rejected. I would not have attended anyway because I've been admitted elsewhere.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:55 pm

oktransferok wrote:Rejected. I would not have attended anyway because I've been admitted elsewhere.

Stats? What was your other acceptance?

lsltyf

Postby lsltyf » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:55 pm

bceagles182 wrote:are these form emails or independently addressed. and at what time were they sent?

Look to be stock, with your name attached. I received mine at 2:44 CST.

Just glad I am already in at WUSTL. Sad but not crushed.

lovelaw27

Postby lovelaw27 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:56 pm

lawfuture10 wrote:out as well 2-3% T2

?

I guess you will have to settle for ccn.

pretzels

Postby pretzels » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:56 pm

nevermind, put on wait list
Last edited by pretzels on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:57 pm

pretzels wrote:is no email yet a good thing?

Waitlisted

xmeta

Postby xmeta » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:58 pm

Waitlisted. This is going to be a fun summer.

oktransferok

Postby oktransferok » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Wholigan wrote:
oktransferok wrote:Rejected. I would not have attended anyway because I've been admitted elsewhere.

Stats? What was your other acceptance?

Stats should have been enough to get in. I don't want to say the other school but it's better than GULC.

Good luck to those waitlisted. I know two people that withdrew from GULC recently.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Seriously? They have waitlists for transfers? What they want us to do? Transfer after OCI? Thanks but no thanks

lawfuture10

Postby lawfuture10 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:59 pm

lovelaw27 wrote:
lawfuture10 wrote:out as well 2-3% T2

?

I guess you will have to settle for ccn.

Low T2 (80s / 90s), far away from GULC... maybe this is why? hopefully my UG alma mater or one of the locals comes through...

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:02 pm

So it seems like going complete with today's date meant rejection or WL. What do you think staying complete with a previous date means? Possible admit, or they just didn't get to you yet? Also, I am kind of surprised to see top 2-3% and top 5% at T2s being flat rejected... kind of worrisome.

oktransferok

Postby oktransferok » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:04 pm

Wholigan wrote:So it seems like going complete with today's date meant rejection or WL. What do you think staying complete with a previous date means? Possible admit, or they just didn't get to you yet? Also, I am kind of surprised to see top 2-3% and top 5% at T2s being flat rejected... kind of worrisome.

Maybe YP - GULC might think these peeps won't want to commit by Friday.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:05 pm

oktransferok wrote:
Wholigan wrote:So it seems like going complete with today's date meant rejection or WL. What do you think staying complete with a previous date means? Possible admit, or they just didn't get to you yet? Also, I am kind of surprised to see top 2-3% and top 5% at T2s being flat rejected... kind of worrisome.

There is no YP for transfer. They don't report transfer yield.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:05 pm

REJECTED!!!!! wahoo!!!

Lol

Good luck everyone else

oktransferok

Postby oktransferok » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:07 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
oktransferok wrote:

Just because they don't report it does not mean the principle does not stand. Obviously they are wanting to force people to commit at an early click. Why accept someone they don't think will attend?

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:09 pm

oktransferok wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:
oktransferok wrote:

Just because they don't report it does not mean the principle does not stand. Obviously they are wanting to force people to commit at an early click. Why accept someone they don't think will attend?

You're overanalyzing the transfer process. Regardless, my WL is a de facto rejection. Transferring after the OCI deadlines makes no sense whatsoever.
Last edited by bceagles182 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:09 pm

oktransferok wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:
oktransferok wrote:

I can think of 800 reasons, if those people haven't been accepted elsewhere yet, but are likely to be.

Return to “Transfers”