Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Coolgrnmen

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:26 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:Check their website again bud

Checked my acceptance letter from last cycle, bud. If you have info that they changed the requirements for this cycle please link it.

Yeah, my bad...

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:29 pm

I think we can safely assume if you completely bomb your second semester your early acceptance may be in question

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:35 pm

From what I understand, you really have to BOMB 2nd Semester for Gtown to revoke an EA offer.

It's built into the nature of EA - they are more strict for EA applicants in comparison to RD because there is a certain amount of risk that any candidate could fall a little bit during the 2nd semester. But I think you really have to give them a reason... i.e. slipping from, say, top 5-10% to top 15-20% would not be a reason for Gtown to revoke your offer.

On the other hand, dropping from a 3.8 to a 3.0 could be grounds. Basically, you have to really screw up. And if you are smart enough to get accepted EA, you're also smart enough to NOT bomb that hard if you give it an honest effort.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Vronsky wrote:From what I understand, you really have to BOMB 2nd Semester for Gtown to revoke an EA offer.

It's built into the nature of EA - they are more strict for EA applicants in comparison to RD because there is a certain amount of risk that any candidate could fall a little bit during the 2nd semester. But I think you really have to give them a reason... i.e. slipping from, say, top 5-10% to top 15-20% would not be a reason for Gtown to revoke your offer.

On the other hand, dropping from a 3.8 to a 3.0 could be grounds. Basically, you have to really screw up. And if you are smart enough to get accepted EA, you're also smart enough to NOT bomb that hard if you give it an honest effort.

+1

JJ-TLS

Postby JJ-TLS » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:35 pm

Hey everyone,

I applied EA to Gtown when the application was released.

I'm hoping they'll weigh my softs more heavily in the transfer process, since GPA meets their A-/B+ requirement, but isn't as high as others applying.

-Law school T2 (80-85 rank)
-GPA 1st semester 3.396, top 18% of the class (Dean's List)
-3 great LORs
-Involvement in many clubs, including E-board position
-Undergrad GPA 4.0 from NYU
-Lost of diverse work experience (social justice)

I know it may be a long shot, but I've heard many cases of transfer applicants getting in, despite numbers that would never fly the first time around.

Thoughts on my chances?

maf70

Postby maf70 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:42 pm

JJ-TLS wrote:

I know it may be a long shot, but I've heard many cases of transfer applicants getting in, despite numbers that would never fly the first time around.

I dont think your chances are very good, but what do I know. Id work on raising that GPA second semester to put yourself in a better position to make the move.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:51 pm

JJ-TLS wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm hoping they'll weigh my softs more heavily in the transfer process, since GPA meets their A-/B+ requirement, but isn't as high as others applying.

-3 great LORs

Thoughts on my chances?

I guess deferred to RD. if you can pull up your class rank to inside top 10%, you might have a shot this summer. I also wonder if NYU would give you some preference, assuming you improve your numbers this semester.

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:00 am

GULC PT requires 28 credits? I'm doing a study abroad this summer and will have 27 as of the fall semester. Weak sauce.

Top 25% PT at T1 FWIW

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:10 am

SpencerPratt wrote:GULC PT requires 28 credits? I'm doing a study abroad this summer and will have 27 as of the fall semester. Weak sauce.

Top 25% PT at T1 FWIW

I might have been wrong...here is the quote from their FAQ

"Am I eligible to apply to transfer to Georgetown Law?
Applicants may only apply if, by the time they matriculate, they will have taken only two semesters worth of classes. In rare circumstances, applicants who have completed 3 part-time semesters by the time they will matriculate, may apply.
May I apply for spring admission?
Typically, only students who initially entered law school in the spring of the prior year may apply for spring admission. In rare circumstances, applicants who have completed 3 part-time semesters by the time they will matriculate, may apply for spring admission (see above)."

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:12 am

Gotcha. Thanks for the info!

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:34 am

Got my login for status check today.... Status: Application received. Anyone else?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:08 pm

Vronsky wrote:Got my login for status check today.... Status: Application received. Anyone else?

I went complete on the 7th...but admissions office told me they review all apps at one time...either starting right before or right after the deadline

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:51 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Vronsky wrote:Got my login for status check today.... Status: Application received. Anyone else?

I went complete on the 7th...but admissions office told me they review all apps at one time...either starting right before or right after the deadline

hmm so hopefully around March 15? I remember reading that decisions are usually sent in April, but the info from the email said June. Any ideas?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:06 pm

Vronsky wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

hmm so hopefully around March 15? I remember reading that decisions are usually sent in April, but the info from the email said June. Any ideas?

From my e-mail: "Early Action decisions will be issued by early May; Regular Action decisions are generally not made before July."

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:59 pm

IIRC decisions went out mid-late April last year

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:22 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Vronsky wrote:From what I understand, you really have to BOMB 2nd Semester for Gtown to revoke an EA offer.

+1

I was actually thinking about this today and something else occurred to me. Suppose someone gets in GULC EA, and his/her grades fall somewhat, but not enough to be in the merit revocation. Say, 3.8 to 3.4. Now, why should this person care? When s/he gets to the transfer school, OCI for the fall will be based on grades from the previous school. The interviewers will look at the transcript and not be that happy. Already they aren't going to be thrilled because you came from some TTT.... and your grades *mildly* tanked 2nd semester?

So much for going into finals stress-free if I get accepted EA.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:42 am

JJ-TLS wrote:Hey everyone,

-3 great LORs

Thoughts on my chances?

100% chance deferred RD. I was at a slightly higher school/rank last year and got RD. Whomever said to raise your grades has TCR. EA is all about that top 5% status if you're not in a T20. Look through last year's thread.

HTH

blbtr

Postby blbtr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:47 pm

Top 35, top 5%.

Worked at V-20 firm in DC for two years out of undergrad (Does this even matter?)

Will be working in DC this summer as well (Does this even matter?)

What should I harp on in PS? Transfer PS strikes me as a bit odd.

Thanks.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:01 pm

blbtr wrote:Top 35, top 5%.
Worked at V-20 firm in DC for two years out of undergrad (Does this even matter?)
Thanks.

Auto-admit. Why are you even applying? You should have your sights set on HYS and should only "settle" for T6.

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:24 pm

Vronsky wrote:
Thanks.

Auto-admit. Why are you even applying? You should have your sights set on HYS and should only "settle" for T6.

Well presumably he really wants DC and with those stats has a great shot, even as a GULC transfer.

Yes, I would harp on those as part of why you want to go there/work in D.C.

blbtr

Postby blbtr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:35 pm

lawloser22 wrote:
Vronsky wrote:
Thanks.

Well presumably he really wants DC and with those stats has a great shot, even as a GULC transfer.

Yes, I would harp on those as part of why you want to go there/work in D.C.

Applying to GULC EA in case I move out of Top 5%. I don't plan/want to but there is always movement in the second semester. I am also doing Chicago early but I feel like my chances there are much, much weaker. I would like to hedge myself a bit with last semester performance.

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:10 am

Does anyone know how many GULC typically accepts of EA each year?

CORRECTION: Also, if they accept applicants applying to the PT program through EA
Last edited by PitchO20 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:29 am

PitchO20 wrote:Does anyone know how many GULC typically accepts of EA each year? Also, if they accept PT applicants through EA?

Dont know how many, but I think their site says they require 3 grades to review your file. So depends on how many grades u got last semester

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:47 pm

I submitted on 2/22. I am between a 3.6 and 3.7 (slightly on the higher side) at a T40-50. No rank (trad I think would be 10-15%, but there is a good reason we aren't ranked until after the 1st year based on grading specificity issues; also, this year the already fairly generous curve got even more generous). I get the impression that transfers out of my school tend to do fairly well with acceptances, but I don't know if that impression is accurate. I have what I think is a fairly strong family legacy at Georgetown so I'm hoping that will help.

Realistically I think it is very unlikely I will get the EA acceptance, but I am still hoping that maybe I can be somewhat of an exception.

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:56 pm

How long has it been taking to go complete?

Return to “Transfers”