Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
maf70

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby maf70 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:22 pm

rank?

tmblaw

Postby tmblaw » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:05 am

Vronsky wrote:
tmblaw wrote:I applied to Gtown last year and was waitlisted...will this help me? Should I mention it or assume they will check my file?

I didn't do as well as I would've liked first semester, but still figure it's worth a shot to apply because I really want to be in DC for personal and career reasons. I have a 3.2 GPA - top half of my law school class (i.e. not in top 30%) at a top 20 school. Do I have a shot?

I would say probably not. You will likely have a better shot if you kick ass on exams in May and then apply during the regular cycle with grades in the top third of your class.

hmm but does it hurt me to apply early?

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:10 am

maf70 wrote:rank?

no idea on rank. but curve is about 3.3 (im not sure if thats first year curve or overall; or are they the same?)
but i am sure i am #1 in my section and probably entire pt program (probably #1, but at worst #2 in whole program of about 80)

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:16 am

ms2010 wrote:Anyone think I got a shot?

- Top T2 (ranked between 45-55)
- Undergrad in DC
- lots of work experience in DC during undergrad
- 3.6 (A, A, A-, A-, B+, B) - should be top 10%ish (B-Median Grading)
- 2 CALIs
- won moot court competition

I would say as good a shot as me. 3.8 vs. 3.6 is made up for the school ranking T2 45-55 vs. T2 in the 80s. i also got two cali's and i'm thinking they should count significantly... be sure to 'highlight' them somehow in your app. i think everyone is just guessing, but it looks "more likely than not" to me.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:18 am

tmblaw wrote:
Vronsky wrote:
tmblaw wrote:I applied to Gtown last year and was waitlisted...will this help me? Should I mention it or assume they will check my file?

I didn't do as well as I would've liked first semester, but still figure it's worth a shot to apply because I really want to be in DC for personal and career reasons. I have a 3.2 GPA - top half of my law school class (i.e. not in top 30%) at a top 20 school. Do I have a shot?

I would say probably not. You will likely have a better shot if you kick ass on exams in May and then apply during the regular cycle with grades in the top third of your class.

potentially, you could get rejected if you apply early, and thus prevented from applying regular. it's unlikely given that your school is so highly ranked, but class rank isn't great so it's possible.

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:28 am

Vronsky wrote:potentially, you could get rejected if you apply early, and thus prevented from applying regular. it's unlikely given that your school is so highly ranked, but class rank isn't great so it's possible.

If you're not an auto-ding, you will get deferred to RD.

ms2010

Postby ms2010 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:14 pm

Vronsky wrote:
ms2010 wrote:Anyone think I got a shot?

- Top T2 (ranked between 45-55)
- Undergrad in DC
- lots of work experience in DC during undergrad
- 3.6 (A, A, A-, A-, B+, B) - should be top 10%ish (B-Median Grading)
- 2 CALIs
- won moot court competition

I would say as good a shot as me. 3.8 vs. 3.6 is made up for the school ranking T2 45-55 vs. T2 in the 80s. i also got two cali's and i'm thinking they should count significantly... be sure to 'highlight' them somehow in your app. i think everyone is just guessing, but it looks "more likely than not" to me.

We don't have class rank till the end of year, but should be top 10-15% I think. Maybe better... unsure.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:04 pm

timertimer61 wrote:I have a 4.08 gpa (8 credits and legal writing is not graded this semester) from a T50 but in pt program. How are my chances for ED or RA?

They require you have 28 credits...so, no go?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:05 pm

tmblaw wrote:
Vronsky wrote:

Yes because you won't be accepted based on your 1st semester grades with those stats and you can't re-apply.

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:44 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
timertimer61 wrote:I have a 4.08 gpa (8 credits and legal writing is not graded this semester) from a T50 but in pt program. How are my chances for ED or RA?

so what about EA?
but for RD is a no?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:49 pm

timertimer61 wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

so what about EA?
but for RD is a no?

EA they require you have at least 3 grades (according to their site) for them to base a decision on.

Either way, EA or RD, they require 28 credits by the end of your first year, but a max of 32. Which means that you can do your first two years PT where you are currently at and then transfer.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:43 am

PSA: nobody on TLS got rejected EA at GULC last year, everyone who didn't get in got deferred.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:03 am

Lawl Shcool wrote:PSA: nobody on TLS got rejected EA at GULC last year, everyone who didn't get in got deferred.

Let's hope you are right

tmblaw

Postby tmblaw » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:04 pm

One more question: Should I mention or discuss that my boyfriend (i.e. not fiancee or husband) is living in D.C.? He's also a graduate student, so maybe this is not as compelling as if he was working there?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:15 pm

tmblaw wrote:One more question: Should I mention or discuss that my boyfriend (i.e. not fiancee or husband) is living in D.C.? He's also a graduate student, so maybe this is not as compelling as if he was working there?

Depends on how long you been together and how long he has left on his program. If long term S.O. and he will be there over the next two years, then I would highlight it. If one or the other, I would mention it. If neither, I would avoid it.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:03 pm

CyLaw wrote:
tmblaw wrote:One more question: Should I mention or discuss that my boyfriend (i.e. not fiancee or husband) is living in D.C.? He's also a graduate student, so maybe this is not as compelling as if he was working there?

Depends on how long you been together and how long he has left on his program. If long term S.O. and he will be there over the next two years, then I would highlight it. If one or the other, I would mention it. If neither, I would avoid it.

+1

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:45 pm

1. How does Chicago ED work with GULC ED? Chicago is binding, but they also make sure your 2nd semester grades are at least on par with 1st semesters. If you get in to both, Chicago's cancels GULC's cause its binding, but what if you bomb 2nd semester? Chicago ends up rejecting you and GULC's was already cancelled. Are you out of luck?

2. What does being deferred mean?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:37 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:1. How does Chicago ED work with GULC ED? Chicago is binding, but they also make sure your 2nd semester grades are at least on par with 1st semesters. If you get in to both, Chicago's cancels GULC's cause its binding, but what if you bomb 2nd semester? Chicago ends up rejecting you and GULC's was already cancelled. Are you out of luck?

2. What does being deferred mean?

1. Both schools require you make consistent 2nd semester grades. If Chi would cancel you, GULC would too. IOW, don't bomb 2nd semester.

2. It means that they defer your app to regular decision so they can see what else is there. They don't want to admit too many early decisions, and then have much better candidates for RD.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:54 pm

1. Both schools require you make consistent 2nd semester grades. If Chi would cancel you, GULC would too. IOW, don't bomb 2nd semester.

Really? I was under the impression that Chicago was like that and GULC was entirely 1st semester grades. Too bad, I am fairly sure I am bombing 2nd semester as we speak :).

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:09 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:

Really? I was under the impression that Chicago was like that and GULC was entirely 1st semester grades. Too bad, I am fairly sure I am bombing 2nd semester as we speak :).

Both schools give you offers of admission conditioned on your 2nd semester.
You can do it...lol...

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:01 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

You can do it...lol...

There are no conditions attached to GULC EA acceptances. If you get in, you stay in, no matter how poorly you do second semester.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:13 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

You can do it...lol...

There are no conditions attached to GULC EA acceptances. If you get in, you stay in, no matter how poorly you do second semester.

Check their website again bud

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:15 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

You can do it...lol...

Ugh, figured as such. Bring on the stress. Not that I was planning on or have been slacking off this semester.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:22 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:Check their website again bud

Checked my acceptance letter from last cycle, bud. If you have info that they changed the requirements for this cycle please link it.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:25 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

You can do it...lol...

I just checked the site - my bad...it doesn't say it, but I did ask about it in an email to them and they did confirm that the admittance is conditioned on consistent performance.

Return to “Transfers”