Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Coolgrnmen

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:11 pm

#4 happened to me...(aka no change, still complete as of 2/8)

I really...really...really want to go to Georgetown...it's my #1 pick so this waiting thing with no change sucks...so bad...

lsltyf

Postby lsltyf » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:13 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:#4 happened to me...(aka no change, still complete as of 2/8)

I really...really...really want to go to Georgetown...it's my #1 pick so this waiting thing with no change sucks...so bad...

Agreed. I keep hearing this song in my head "Quit playing games with my heart, ohh my heart" jk

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:14 pm

Ty Webb wrote:Where does that leave us with a reasonable chance of admission who are still sitting at Complete 3/16? :?

You're screwed, because the EA deadline was 3/15 :P

Just kidding. I'm still at Complete 3/11, despite receiving the email, so.. I'm antsy as well. For all we know they're just looking through apps in an arbitrary order, so maybe they just haven't gotten to those who are still listed as complete in March.

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:15 pm

any luck with the admitted students page?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:21 pm

zomginternets wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:Where does that leave us with a reasonable chance of admission who are still sitting at Complete 3/16? :?

Just kidding. I'm still at Complete 3/11, despite receiving the email, so.. I'm antsy as well. For all we know they're just looking through apps in an arbitrary order, so maybe they just haven't gotten to those who are still listed as complete in March.

I doubt it since there is a pretty solid pattern of gpa and school rank
Besides, I went complete 2/8...submitted on 2/1...and mine hasn't changed...soooooooo yeah

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:21 pm

WMCowgirl wrote:
zomginternets wrote:So application updates seem to be:

1. "Application Complete" date has changed to 4/18 (though still just says "application complete"). Generally happened to ppl @ T1/low T2 schools w/ high GPA.
2. "Application Complete" date has changed from 4/18 to 4/20 (though still just says "application complete"). (What are the stats of ppl whom this happened to??)
3. Emails to various students asking for 2nd semester courses. (this happened to me [T3/3.912]--what are the stats of other ppl whom this happened to?)

There seem to be a lot of people w/ 1, a few people with 1 & 2, and fewer people with 1 & 3. Only one person w/ 1 & 2 & 3.

I'm guessing:
1 = those people whom they do not need further info from to make a decision (i.e. 2nd semester courses); most likely EA admits based on stats of ppl whom this happened to.
2 = people whom they did not need further info from (the 4/18 update) & who now have been decided whether to admit EA or not (the 4/20 update); need stats from ppl to confirm this.
3 = people who are/were teetering on getting in EA or being deferred, because if you were either being for sure deferred or rejected, they wouldn't need to know right now what your spring courses are.

I am with you up to #3. I don't see how the courses you are taking this semester will impact whether they let you in or not? I am the person with 1, 2, & 3 and I am at a T50 school with a 3.91. I am hoping you aren't right ;)!

Interesting, #3 was the prediction I was most sure of :P. I could hazard a few guesses as to their impact (esp. if there are any electives involved), but it must make some impact, otherwise I don't see why they would bother asking anyone. If you were rejected, they would not care, and if you were deferred, they would find out when you send them your spring grades anyway, so I can't think of any other possible explanation for them wanting to know right now.

Your stats seem to indicate that you are a presumptive admit, so I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that you have all 3. Maybe you sent them your spring courses and then they decided, based on that, that you were in EA? But then that wouldn't make sense for you to go complete at 4/18 without that info first. Either way, based on stats alone, I think you're a shoo-in.

ms2010 wrote:i have a friend who works at Admissions at my current school who told me for a fact that the admissions office spends every morning reading through all TLS related posts.

Interesting. For the LOL factor, or are they actually looking for admissions-related criteria?

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:36 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
zomginternets wrote:

I doubt it since there is a pretty solid pattern of gpa and school rank
Besides, I went complete 2/8...submitted on 2/1...and mine hasn't changed...soooooooo yeah

Relatively small data set we're trying to draw hard conclusions with.

louisiana

Postby louisiana » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:40 pm

DeSimone wrote:any luck with the admitted students page?

No luck for me - tried to get password by clicking on "No Password?" - when I entered my last name and email, it didn't work.

PS - (I was a 1,2,3 person).

ms2010

Postby ms2010 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:48 pm

zomginternets wrote:
WMCowgirl wrote:

1. "Application Complete" date has changed to 4/18 (though still just says "application complete"). Generally happened to ppl @ T1/low T2 schools w/ high GPA.
2. "Application Complete" date has changed from 4/18 to 4/20 (though still just says "application complete"). (What are the stats of ppl whom this happened to??)
3. Emails to various students asking for 2nd semester courses. (this happened to me [T3/3.912]--what are the stats of other ppl whom this happened to?)

There seem to be a lot of people w/ 1, a few people with 1 & 2, and fewer people with 1 & 3. Only one person w/ 1 & 2 & 3.

I'm guessing:
1 = those people whom they do not need further info from to make a decision (i.e. 2nd semester courses); most likely EA admits based on stats of ppl whom this happened to.
2 = people whom they did not need further info from (the 4/18 update) & who now have been decided whether to admit EA or not (the 4/20 update); need stats from ppl to confirm this.
3 = people who are/were teetering on getting in EA or being deferred, because if you were either being for sure deferred or rejected, they wouldn't need to know right now what your spring courses are.

I am with you up to #3. I don't see how the courses you are taking this semester will impact whether they let you in or not? I am the person with 1, 2, & 3 and I am at a T50 school with a 3.91. I am hoping you aren't right ;)!

Interesting, #3 was the prediction I was most sure of :P. I could hazard a few guesses as to their impact (esp. if there are any electives involved), but it must make some impact, otherwise I don't see why they would bother asking anyone. If you were rejected, they would not care, and if you were deferred, they would find out when you send them your spring grades anyway, so I can't think of any other possible explanation for them wanting to know right now.

Your stats seem to indicate that you are a presumptive admit, so I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that you have all 3. Maybe you sent them your spring courses and then they decided, based on that, that you were in EA? But then that wouldn't make sense for you to go complete at 4/18 without that info first. Either way, based on stats alone, I think you're a shoo-in.

ms2010 wrote:i have a friend who works at Admissions at my current school who told me for a fact that the admissions office spends every morning reading through all TLS related posts.

Interesting. For the LOL factor, or are they actually looking for admissions-related criteria?

A little of both. Some if it is to see if anyone responds negatively to the office, but other times they have actually easily been able to pick out who the applicants are.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:57 pm

ms2010 wrote:
zomginternets wrote:
WMCowgirl wrote:

I'm guessing:

A little of both. Some if it is to see if anyone responds negatively to the office, but other times they have actually easily been able to pick out who the applicants are.

Hahaha...hello admissions!

out17

Postby out17 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm guessing:

I think you're overanalyzing #3. The email simply requested the list of current courses because that information wasn't provided on the transcript submitted. I assume some schools list current courses, and others don't, and that's why some were sent this email and others weren't.
FWIW, T2, top 1-2%, complete 3/15, status changed to 4/18 yesterday and 4/20 today.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:55 pm

I'm going to try to be rational here and agree with the poster who suggested maybe the date change to 4/18 or 4/20 does NOT signify auto-admit. at least that's what i'm hoping, cos it makes me feel better!

it may very well be that they began this monday to make sure everyone's stuff was complete (the emails requesting spring courses seem to suggest this) so that they can compare apples to apples later this week/next week when they start to review applications for real. this may all be preliminary.

IIRC correctly, people didn't start changing to "Under Review" until midweek/later in the week last year. also the Under Review/Decision Rendered thing was the telltale sign last year, NOT a date change.

:( ... :arrow: ... 8)

quiver

Postby quiver » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:10 pm

Vronsky wrote: may very well be that they began this monday to make sure everyone's stuff was complete (the emails requesting spring courses seem to suggest this) so that they can compare apples to apples later this week/next week when they start to review applications for real. this may all be preliminary.

Agreed. I had status changed to 4/18 then to 4/20. I bet they're just getting stuff together (although I'm selfishly hoping that's not true). Any real change would by to "under review" not to "complete" on a different day.

On another note...at what point is it considered okay to call admissions and beg for an acceptance? I would LOVE to go to GULC.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:34 pm

quiver wrote:
Vronsky wrote: may very well be that they began this monday to make sure everyone's stuff was complete (the emails requesting spring courses seem to suggest this) so that they can compare apples to apples later this week/next week when they start to review applications for real. this may all be preliminary.

Agreed. I had status changed to 4/18 then to 4/20. I bet they're just getting stuff together (although I'm selfishly hoping that's not true). Any real change would by to "under review" not to "complete" on a different day.

On another note...at what point is it considered okay to call admissions and beg for an acceptance? I would LOVE to go to GULC.

Hmm you should probably let them read your application FIRST, to start...then if they don't let you in you can start begging!

GULC is my first transfer choice too so I'm prepared to beg at some point as well.

WMCowgirl

Postby WMCowgirl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:53 pm

Vronsky wrote:I'm going to try to be rational here and agree with the poster who suggested maybe the date change to 4/18 or 4/20 does NOT signify auto-admit. at least that's what i'm hoping, cos it makes me feel better!

it may very well be that they began this monday to make sure everyone's stuff was complete (the emails requesting spring courses seem to suggest this) so that they can compare apples to apples later this week/next week when they start to review applications for real. this may all be preliminary.

IIRC correctly, people didn't start changing to "Under Review" until midweek/later in the week last year. also the Under Review/Decision Rendered thing was the telltale sign last year, NOT a date change.

:( ... :arrow: ... 8)

Hmm...you may be right, but there are two things that make me think that you aren't....

First, my friend and I are transferring from the same school and I got an email asking for what courses I am taking, but she did not...suggesting that its more than just making sure everyone's stuff is complete.

And, second...my email asking for what courses I am taking said that my application is currently being reviewed by the committee, which makes me think they are actually looking at it despite my status still saying "application complete" with a date of 4/20. But all in all, who knows what anything means! Hopefully everyone will get some good news sooner than later!

out17

Postby out17 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:00 pm

WMCowgirl - who has better grades, you or your friend? (just curious)

WMCowgirl

Postby WMCowgirl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:02 pm

out17 wrote:WMCowgirl - who has better grades, you or your friend? (just curious)

I do.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:05 pm

Why does everyone want to go to GULC so badly? From what I've read, if you are admitted EA, it strongly indicates you can get accepted T10 as well. So your motivation must be more than to simply transfer up, but something about DC/GULC in particular?

I, for one, would like to transfer up, but also have a bit of a soft spot for Gtown b/c it was my first choice but I was denied admission in UG, while admitted to peer schools. When I visited, there was a special buzz/political activism on the UG campus that was fairly unique to all the UG schools I visited. Plus Clinton went there :) However I know that the UG and law school are separate campuses, ad theres no guarantee the LS has a similar vibe.

Also, I think the idea of being able to see/listen/breathe the same air as SCOTUS is incredible. I fantasize about reading COA/State supreme court opinions, and then listening to oral arguments, and then reading the final opinion when it comes out. Although I know i'll never have time, it could be a REALLY interesting and beneficial self study.

My goal is not really to work in DC or for gov, but BigLaw in NYC/Boston/Chicago/LA/London/HK. GULC certainly offers better prospects for that than my current TT, but other T14 schools do as well.

Anyone else care to share?

quiver

Postby quiver » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:11 pm

The speculations ITT are riveting. They're simultaneously filling the void in my life left by having no TV and helping me procrastinate studying crim.

Regionality wrote:Hmmm you should probably let them read your application FIRST, to start...then if they don't let you in you can start begging!

I suppose. I hope they know I'm prepared to beg early and often; it would be much easier for everyone if let me in right off the bat.

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:15 pm

Vronsky, I personally have a genuine interest in Georgetown, but an EA application is a $2,000 insurance policy against shitty spring grades if nothing else.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:17 pm

1,2 and 3 reporting in. The request button for a password gave me a password to the admitted students website.......when it wouldn't before. The username and password don't work yet though....

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:18 pm

starchinkilt wrote:1,2 and 3 reporting in. The request button for a password gave me a password to the admitted students website.......when it wouldn't before. The username and password don't work yet though....

Let the frenzy begin!

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:20 pm

DeSimone wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:1,2 and 3 reporting in. The request button for a password gave me a password to the admitted students website.......when it wouldn't before. The username and password don't work yet though....

Let the frenzy begin!

I'm wondering if they set it to 4/20 as the date it unlocks for access. Or atleast I'm hoping :|

WMCowgirl

Postby WMCowgirl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:21 pm

starchinkilt wrote:
DeSimone wrote:

Let the frenzy begin!

I'm wondering if they set it to 4/20 as the date it unlocks for access. Or atleast I'm hoping :|

what is the admitted students website url?

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:22 pm

WMCowgirl wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:
DeSimone wrote:

Let the frenzy begin!

what is the admitted students website url?

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admissions/admitted/

Clicked on No Password then entered my last name and e-mail

Return to “Transfers”