Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CyLaw

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby CyLaw » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:30 pm

DeSimone wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
CyLaw wrote:Hoping to have my application complete this weekend. Just need to reread and edit my PS a couple more times, and then everything should be set.

And submitted. Also, received an email from LSAC today that they received my LOR from my law prof. Glad that he was on top of it, so I can just sit back and concentrate on class.

Cornell to GULC? You must really like DC.

Wife is finishing her PhD in May and starting work in DC.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:33 am

Hey guys, for those of you that have applied, I've set up a thread to give your stats and your submitted/ completion date for GULC.

There's also a poll for you to take.

I submitted on 2/1 and went complete on 2/7

The admissions office did tell me that they would not be reviewing apps for a couple of weeks. They are reviewing in batches apparently.

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:16 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:Hey guys, for those of you that have applied, I've set up a thread to give your stats and your submitted/ completion date for GULC.

There's also a poll for you to take.

I submitted on 2/1 and went complete on 2/7

The admissions office did tell me that they would not be reviewing apps for a couple of weeks. They are reviewing in batches apparently.

Unnecessary thread...

... in unnecessary

katekate

Postby katekate » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:01 pm

I was all gung ho about applying after i got my first semester grades (A, A-, and B+) but now that my rank has come out, I am less enthusiastic. I didn't make top 10%, so I feel like it's not even worth it. Is that right? (T2 school on east coast, and I am from DC area originally)

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:31 am

katekate wrote:I was all gung ho about applying after i got my first semester grades (A, A-, and B+) but now that my rank has come out, I am less enthusiastic. I didn't make top 10%, so I feel like it's not even worth it. Is that right? (T2 school on east coast, and I am from DC area originally)

Doesn't hurt to try...well, it will cost you $97 but if you can't afford it it won't hurt.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:32 am

katekate wrote:I was all gung ho about applying after i got my first semester grades (A, A-, and B+) but now that my rank has come out, I am less enthusiastic. I didn't make top 10%, so I feel like it's not even worth it. Is that right? (T2 school on east coast, and I am from DC area originally)

Does your school grade on a B+ scale? I'm surprised that a 3.7 average is not in the top 10% otherwise...

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:59 pm

mailed in my EA app today; LORs and dean's certificate were already sent, so hopefully shouldn't be too long before i go complete.

estimated top 3-6% at a lowish T2... 3.8 including two A+/Cali awards. I got the LORs from the two professors i booked.

chances for admitted/deferred, anyone?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:15 pm

Vronsky wrote:mailed in my EA app today; LORs and dean's certificate were already sent, so hopefully shouldn't be too long before i go complete.

estimated top 3-6% at a lowish T2... 3.8 including two A+/Cali awards. I got the LORs from the two professors i booked.

I'm guessing, but as long as your PS was solid, admit.

Georgetown says you need a A-/B+ average (3.5) to be competitive and fall somewhere in the top 15% of your class.
Sounds like you got that, but they have been known to reject for having bad PS on transfers. They want to know that you WANT to go there and that you won't accept somewhere else in the T14. A friend of mine that transferred from Rutgers to Columbia told me he was rejected by Georgetown. He had a 4.0 after first semester, top 2% of his class.

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:48 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:Georgetown says you need a A-/B+ average (3.5) to be competitive and fall somewhere in the top 15% of your class.

I wouldn't rely too much on this statement. Pretty sure your school rank also has something to do with it.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:00 pm

DeSimone wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:Georgetown says you need a A-/B+ average (3.5) to be competitive and fall somewhere in the top 15% of your class.

I wouldn't rely too much on this statement. Pretty sure your school rank also has something to do with it.

Lots of schools don't rank until the end of year

tmblaw

Postby tmblaw » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:09 pm

I applied to Gtown last year and was waitlisted...will this help me? Should I mention it or assume they will check my file?

I didn't do as well as I would've liked first semester, but still figure it's worth a shot to apply because I really want to be in DC for personal and career reasons. I have a 3.2 GPA - top half of my law school class (i.e. not in top 30%) at a top 20 school. Do I have a shot?
Last edited by tmblaw on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:09 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
DeSimone wrote:

Lots of schools don't rank until the end of year

I meant the ranking of the school.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:35 am

tmblaw wrote:I applied to Gtown last year and was waitlisted...will this help me? Should I mention it or assume they will check my file?

I didn't do as well as I would've liked first semester, but still figure it's worth a shot to apply because I really want to be in DC for personal and career reasons. I have a 3.2 GPA - top half of my law school class (i.e. not in top 30%) at a top 20 school. Do I have a shot?

I would say probably not. You will likely have a better shot if you kick ass on exams in May and then apply during the regular cycle with grades in the top third of your class.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:40 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Vronsky wrote:mailed in my EA app today; LORs and dean's certificate were already sent, so hopefully shouldn't be too long before i go complete.

Georgetown says you need a A-/B+ average (3.5) to be competitive and fall somewhere in the top 15% of your class.
Sounds like you got that, but they have been known to reject for having bad PS on transfers. They want to know that you WANT to go there and that you won't accept somewhere else in the T14. A friend of mine that transferred from Rutgers to Columbia told me he was rejected by Georgetown. He had a 4.0 after first semester, top 2% of his class.

Thanks for the input However I don't think I'm in the auto-admit category like your friend (or in his case, the auto-deny because he was such a high auto-admit). The transfer committee had to know that he stood a very strong chance at getting into a T6 with a 4.0. But his grades were higher than mine (T1%) but his school's rank is roughly the same as mine.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:35 am

Vronsky wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

Thanks for the input However I don't think I'm in the auto-admit category like your friend (or in his case, the auto-deny because he was such a high auto-admit). The transfer committee had to know that he stood a very strong chance at getting into a T6 with a 4.0. But his grades were higher than mine (T1%) but his school's rank is roughly the same as mine.

I don't think you are an auto-admit, and def. not a auto-deny...that's why I conditioned it on a good PS. Either way, good luck! We can only speculate...

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:28 pm

XM3045 wrote:I had to take a look at this year's thread for old times sake. I got in EA last year and hate to admit that this thread absorbed much of my time last spring. I would encourage EA applicants this year to not waste time trying to guess at when they will release decisions (last year decisions were mailed on a Thursday after ALWAYS going out on a Monday--people stayed up on Sunday nights for weeks waiting for a change in their status) or trying to guess cut-off numbers--it really is a total black box. For example I got in w/ a 3.9 something from a crappy school, while people from GW with a 3.88 were not.
Just to be mean and give you guys some stuff to wonder about I would say the following were GENERALIZATIONS from EA last year

1. If you had exceptional work experience or an extraordinary background (went to Olympics for example) or for some reason would be very hirable during OCI....then you got a giant boost

2.If you were over 3.9 AND If you had ALL As or A-s (read: not a single B+) then you had a good shot.

3. It had no bearing last year when people went to complete (there were no 'batches')

4. If you went to either a T2 or a local T3 (located in DC, MD or VA) then you had a better shot than someone from a random T3 from anywhere else in the country (Just like the Boalt transfers from random Cali T3s do better than East coast crappy schools)

5. If you applied to both the FT and PT program and your status switches from BOTH to just one of them-then you 100% got in.

6. GULC took weighted A+s as 4.33s, which sucks for people who are at schools w/out A+s or where A+s were just equal to a 4.0. I thought this was really unfair last year.

7. Yes people from Cooley and John Marshall get in on a regular basis, so don't bash them too hard about thinking they are getting in.

8. They definitely do limit the number of people coming from each school, so if you are at the top of your class at a T2 or T3 don't be a retard and tell everyone you are applying. Last year I actively told people that people from our school that I wasn't applying, that it was a dumb idea and that they shouldn't waste their time. I was #3 in my class and it kept the #2 person from applying. Dick move? Yes. But I'm spending my summer at a V5 and the #1 and #2 people at my old school are doing shitlaw in the local market.

He removed it so I am reposting it because it is interesting...

EDIT: Corrected the quoted person
Last edited by Coolgrnmen on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:32 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:He removed it so I am reposting it because it is interesting...

thanks for posting... some useful info.... but just to be clear, that's not from me... must've just been a mistake when copying/pasting

although it's not totally encouraging.

1. i've got some good work experience, but not like the freaking olympics or anything that's insta-hire
2. 3.8 with a B+ but two A+s (and they just count as 4.0 dammit!)
3. east-coast T2
4. didn't apply to PT... cos i wouldn't go...
5. i'm probably in the top 10 people at my school but know for a fact a few others are applying. not sure about exact class rank tho b/c the school doesn't give it.

how about u?

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:53 pm

How do you reconcile the following points:

4. You have a better chance of acceptance from a school in the same geographic region (DC, VA, MD) than someone from a similarly ranked school in another part of the country.

8. They limit the number of people from each school.

I assume that a lot more people are applying to GULC from American/Catholic/Mason than from Pepperdine/Hastings/McGeorge.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:03 pm

DeSimone wrote:How do you reconcile the following points:

4. You have a better chance of acceptance from a school in the same geographic region (DC, VA, MD) than someone from a similarly ranked school in another part of the country.

I assume that a lot more people are applying to GULC from American/Catholic/Mason than from Pepperdine/Hastings/McGeorge.

The limit on the # from each school may be greater within the region...

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:07 pm

Vronsky wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:He removed it so I am reposting it because it is interesting...

thanks for posting... some useful info.... but just to be clear, that's not from me... must've just been a mistake when copying/pasting

although it's not totally encouraging.

1. i've got some good work experience, but not like the freaking olympics or anything that's insta-hire
2. 3.8 with a B+ but two A+s (and they just count as 4.0 dammit!)
3. east-coast T2
4. didn't apply to PT... cos i wouldn't go...
5. i'm probably in the top 10 people at my school but know for a fact a few others are applying. not sure about exact class rank tho b/c the school doesn't give it.

how about u?

I fixed the quote...I forgot to change the name of the quotee...sry...

Some work experience (sales, management) from during undergrad...no post-grad work.
consistent 3.5 - 2 A-s, 2 B+s
East Coast T3 (god help me...)
Didn't apply to PT, not interested...
I'm not close to the top people (probably 50 people ahead of me minimum, but my class size is over 600. I fall somewhere between top 10-15%. But I always just say top 10% lol

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:11 pm

Any idea if your 1L summer gig is given significant weight? I know that other schools (Chicago) specifically ask for it.

My guess is that it counts for something as it can add to your OCI employability.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:17 pm

DeSimone wrote:Any idea if your 1L summer gig is given significant weight? I know that other schools (Chicago) specifically ask for it.

My guess is that it counts for something as it can add to your OCI employability.

My understanding is yes...yes it does.
Obviously not as much as your grades, but I think you hit it on the money regarding employability. That's their way of knowing that you can interview and are marketable.

XM3045

Postby XM3045 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:43 pm

Hey. Sorry for that post getting deleted. I went to edit something and clicked the little 'x'. After that I was too lazy to retype anything.

Vronsky wrote:How do you reconcile the following points:

Quote:

I would guess you are right here. There was a lot of speculation last year that GULC admitted people from regional schools b/c the local job market would maybe have a better reference point. But then the DC market took a giant dump the last 2 years and I think there were about 3 jobs in all of dc (government included) last year so in hindsight, I doubt that is the case.
My only advice was not to broadcast the fact that you are attempting to transfer (for a lot of reasons). But you would be surprised that there are people who don't even think about transferring unless you put the idea in their head or have been convinced by the dean at their T2 that the 'career services' staff will guarantee them a six figure local job if they stick around.
Finally for those that are on the fence about ED or RD. Apply ED. Very few people got straight dinged last year and those that were deferred found out much quicker than the RD people. Many of the RD people found out so late that they couldn't do the journal write on (who cares though really?) and even missed the priority dates for OCI/EIW week...which kind of defeated the whole purpose of transferring here.

Good luck to you guys!!

ms2010

Postby ms2010 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:17 pm

Anyone think I got a shot?
Last edited by ms2010 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:21 pm

I have a 4.08 gpa (8 credits and legal writing is not graded this semester) from a T50 but in pt program. How are my chances for ED or RA?

Return to “Transfers”