Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Ty Webb
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Ty Webb » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:19 pm

I should probably throw my name into the hat here. Went complete on 3/16. Fingers crossed.

FTR:

3.67 (straight A-s) at a school ranked 50-60.
Top 10% officially via the school, but probably top 7% in reality.
Ties to the east coast as a justification for transfer.

Hoping for the best; expecting to be deferred to RD.

GLTA

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Vronsky » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:49 pm

Ty Webb wrote:I should probably throw my name into the hat here. Went complete on 3/16. Fingers crossed.

FTR:

3.67 (straight A-s) at a school ranked 50-60.
Top 10% officially via the school, but probably top 7% in reality.
Ties to the east coast as a justification for transfer.

Hoping for the best; expecting to be deferred to RD.

GLTA


What is the curve at your school for A and A-? 10% and 15% each?

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Vronsky » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:39 pm

How much do we think CALIs/A+/course awards are worth?

I know at some schools they count for 4.3 or more and factor into GPA. But not at my school.

User avatar
Ty Webb
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Ty Webb » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:14 pm

Vronsky wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:I should probably throw my name into the hat here. Went complete on 3/16. Fingers crossed.

FTR:

3.67 (straight A-s) at a school ranked 50-60.
Top 10% officially via the school, but probably top 7% in reality.
Ties to the east coast as a justification for transfer.

Hoping for the best; expecting to be deferred to RD.

GLTA


What is the curve at your school for A and A-? 10% and 15% each?


Though it was supposedly a forced distribution this year, many professors STILL didn't follow it and went their own way. We never got official word on what was supposed to happen, but the rumor was 20% combined As and A-s. They curve to a 3.1 generally.

3.67 would usually be top 3%-4%, but one professor gave out a disproportionate number of A-s this year (6 As, 18 A-s) for a 65-person class. This was especially hurtful for those of us with higher scoring A-s.

By contrast a professor in another section gave out 0 As and tons of A-s.

maf70
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:57 am

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby maf70 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:40 pm

I
Ty Webb wrote:
Vronsky wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:I should probably throw my name into the hat here. Went complete on 3/16. Fingers crossed.

FTR:

3.67 (straight A-s) at a school ranked 50-60.
Top 10% officially via the school, but probably top 7% in reality.
Ties to the east coast as a justification for transfer.

Hoping for the best; expecting to be deferred to RD.

GLTA


What is the curve at your school for A and A-? 10% and 15% each?


Though it was supposedly a forced distribution this year, many professors STILL didn't follow it and went their own way. We never got official word on what was supposed to happen, but the rumor was 20% combined As and A-s. They curve to a 3.1 generally.

3.67 would usually be top 3%-4%, but one professor gave out a disproportionate number of A-s this year (6 As, 18 A-s) for a 65-person class. This was especially hurtful for those of us with higher scoring A-s.

By contrast a professor in another section gave out 0 As and tons of A-s.



A professor of one of my substantive courses gave out 0 A's and 1 A- to a class of 55 students. Another one of my professor's gave out 1 A and 3 A-s to a class of 55 students. TTT curves suck hard.

Rabbi Marshak
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:29 am

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Rabbi Marshak » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:36 am

Hey folks, I went complete last week.

Mid T2, Top 5%.

User avatar
DeSimone
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby DeSimone » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:31 pm

Is it possible that fewer 0L applications this cycle will mean an earlier review of transfers? Or has the ~April 20 date been consistent over the years?

Coolgrnmen
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:51 pm

DeSimone wrote:Is it possible that fewer 0L applications this cycle will mean an earlier review of transfers? Or has the ~April 20 date been consistent over the years?

I would assume that we will have to wait...
Less applications mean that they took late applications. Which means they may take longer to review those applications.

Coolgrnmen
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:38 am

Under Review!!!!!!

Thank god...maybe they will get my decision out to me before I thought they would.

Good luck everyone else!

maf70
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:57 am

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby maf70 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:42 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:Under Review!!!!!!

Thank god...maybe they will get my decision out to me before I thought they would.

Good luck everyone else!


lamest...april fools joke...ever.

143. have fun at cooley.

Coolgrnmen
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:48 am

maf70 wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:Under Review!!!!!!

Thank god...maybe they will get my decision out to me before I thought they would.

Good luck everyone else!


lamest...april fools joke...ever.

143. have fun at cooley.


Agreed...was lame...
but 143? and Cooley? c'mon...gimme the benefit of the doubt here...

Coolgrnmen
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:49 am

maf70 wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:Under Review!!!!!!

Thank god...maybe they will get my decision out to me before I thought they would.

Good luck everyone else!


lamest...april fools joke...ever.

143. have fun at cooley.

On a side note, the joke would have been better if some people played along...you are lame for calling it out early

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Vronsky » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:07 am

hahaha even tho i knew it was an april fools joke i still checked my status, you mofo!

User avatar
PitchO20
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby PitchO20 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:09 am

I didn't think that was too bad. Well played.


...fucker.

Coolgrnmen
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:16 am

Vronsky wrote:hahaha even tho i knew it was an april fools joke i still checked my status, you mofo!


PitchO20 wrote:I didn't think that was too bad. Well played.


...fucker.

:lol:

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Regionality » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:38 am

Mine didn't go under review, but the date did change to 4/1/2011 and still says Application Completed...is this an automatic thing?

Coolgrnmen
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:53 am

Regionality wrote:Mine didn't go under review, but the date did change to 4/1/2011 and still says Application Completed...is this an automatic thing?

I'm not looking...

User avatar
DeSimone
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby DeSimone » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:52 pm

No change here. Anyone else?

lsltyf
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby lsltyf » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:00 pm

DeSimone wrote:No change here. Anyone else?


I looked my status date hasn't changed. I wondering why some changed and others did not?

User avatar
DeSimone
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby DeSimone » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:14 pm

lsltyf wrote:
DeSimone wrote:No change here. Anyone else?


I looked my status date hasn't changed. I wondering why some changed and others did not?

One person is not a huge sample to work with. He went complete on 3/8, so it doesn't look like it's chronological.

Regionality, did you submit anything after sending the application, like LOR's?

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Regionality » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:35 pm

DeSimone wrote:
lsltyf wrote:
DeSimone wrote:No change here. Anyone else?


I looked my status date hasn't changed. I wondering why some changed and others did not?

One person is not a huge sample to work with. He went complete on 3/8, so it doesn't look like it's chronological.

Regionality, did you submit anything after sending the application, like LOR's?


I sent them updated summer employment information.

User avatar
DeSimone
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby DeSimone » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:40 pm

Regionality wrote:I sent them updated summer employment information.

I have a feeling that might be the answer.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Regionality » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:24 pm

DeSimone wrote:
Regionality wrote:I sent them updated summer employment information.

I have a feeling that might be the answer.


They just emailed me to ask about the validity of my mailing address because I told them two different addresses...just an administrative normality??

Coolgrnmen
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:13 pm

Regionality wrote:
DeSimone wrote:
Regionality wrote:I sent them updated summer employment information.

I have a feeling that might be the answer.


They just emailed me to ask about the validity of my mailing address because I told them two different addresses...just an administrative normality??

Yeah...they check the info before sending it to committee...but it might mean we are closer to review!

User avatar
DeSimone
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby DeSimone » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:24 pm

I'd love to get my decision before the finals...




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.