Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Coolgrnmen

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:17 pm

lawfuture10 wrote:
DeSimone wrote:
sarryn wrote:I think he was saying "close" in reference to classes, i.e., the interest is vested, subject to open. :)

It will only be subject to complete divestment in a couple of hours.

Ugh the property puns are killer

Is it sad that I am not catching things like that when I have prop three times a week...
It is def. my most useful/ least favorite course.

hopefulhoyalawya

Postby hopefulhoyalawya » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:11 am

Well after reading this, I'm not sure what to do.

I'm a current PT student at a regional DC school.

3.67 GPA
Active in a lot of clubs/societies, including international ones, and am on the E-Board for one as a 1L.
Worked 3 years post-grad, 1 on Capitol Hill, 2 for a major law firm as a paralegal.

I applied for full-time because my intent is to transfer to the full-time program but I won't have 28 credits at the end of the first year. I am going to a summer school program abroad through a T14, which I mentioned in my personal statement, but will still only have 27 credits. When I contacted the admissions office, they didn't say there was a credit minimum but said that everybody would be considered equally, so long as they had the 3 grade minimum for ED.

Should I contact them and ask to also be considered for PT?

maf70

Postby maf70 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:29 am

yes. ask to be considered for both the FT and PT programs.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:24 pm

Its been an entire day past the deadline and the status hasn't changed! WTF

(I know, I'm kidding...but I am anxiously awaiting some form of status change...)

maf70

Postby maf70 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:26 pm

waiting for the inevitable deferment.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:36 pm

maf70 wrote:waiting for the inevitable deferment.

Oh definitely, a deferment or flat out rejection

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:37 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:

I'm talking aboutme there...fyi

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:20 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

Echoing what you posted a while back about the drop in OL applications, I saw a news flash at my school that applications are down 11.5% across the nation. It might be wishful thinking, but I think that might result in greater transfer numbers at GULC and other schools as well. Fingers crossed.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:31 pm

Vronsky wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

Echoing what you posted a while back about the drop in OL applications, I saw a news flash at my school that applications are down 11.5% across the nation. It might be wishful thinking, but I think that might result in greater transfer numbers at GULC and other schools as well. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, I saw that today as well...
BUT I don't think that is going to affect the transfer class... I HOPE it does, but schools like GULC and up don't have trouble filling up their classes. Heck, most law schools don't...do they?

Anyways, here's to hoping.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:30 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Vronsky wrote:

BUT I don't think that is going to affect the transfer class... I HOPE it does, but schools like GULC and up don't have trouble filling up their classes. Heck, most law schools don't...do they?

No, I'm sure they don't have troubling filling the seats in the classroom, but the issue for them is to keep LSAT scores from falling. If apps drop by 11%, they probably have fewer solid applicants with their target LSAT, so if they only admit students with the numbers they accepted last year, theres a chance the total class size would go down (assuming they maintain the same matriculation rate of accepted students). If a school's median LSAT drops by 1 or 2 points, it could be grounds for dropping a spot or to in US News rankings.

An easy way around this is for schools to keep their LSAT numbers from last year but admit more transfers. But of course if median LSAT drops at many schools by about 1 point, it could be moot.

so maybe schools at the lower end of various tiers accept 5-10% more of transfer applicants to make up for the drop in OL applicants. Is that logical?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:00 pm

Vronsky wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Vronsky wrote:

No, I'm sure they don't have troubling filling the seats in the classroom, but the issue for them is to keep LSAT scores from falling. If apps drop by 11%, they probably have fewer solid applicants with their target LSAT, so if they only admit students with the numbers they accepted last year, theres a chance the total class size would go down (assuming they maintain the same matriculation rate of accepted students). If a school's median LSAT drops by 1 or 2 points, it could be grounds for dropping a spot or to in US News rankings.

An easy way around this is for schools to keep their LSAT numbers from last year but admit more transfers. But of course if median LSAT drops at many schools by about 1 point, it could be moot.

so maybe schools at the lower end of various tiers accept 5-10% more of transfer applicants to make up for the drop in OL applicants. Is that logical?

It's logical...I was thinking along the same lines.
The only way the drop in LSAT by 1 point wouldn't be moot is if some schools opted to fill their class, while the other schools opted to maintain the average and accept less...the different strategies make for an interesting scenario.
I would expect the schools in the T14 (including Texas now...congrats to them) would likely be more worried about their average LSAT scores...
A fix for them would definitely be to increase the transfer class, but that creates problems. Namely, they'd have to A) increase class size so we could enroll in the appropriate classes or B) decrease the scholarship awards for the incoming class.
I hope they use A...obviously, I'm not an admin person so I don't know what other options are available...but I'm sure there are plenty...

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:38 am

wait a minute... i'm not thinking well. the transfer class is going to into the class of 2013. the drop in applicants is the class of 2014.... so unless they want to have an extra large class of 2013 and a small class of 2014, it doesn't make any sense. oh well, wishful thinking....

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:49 am

Vronsky wrote:wait a minute... i'm not thinking well. the transfer class is going to into the class of 2013. the drop in applicants is the class of 2014.... so unless they want to have an extra large class of 2013 and a small class of 2014, it doesn't make any sense. oh well, wishful thinking....

lol...that's what I was saying...silly

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:32 am

Anyone remember when the first batch went to review last year?

EDIT: decided to go and look. The date is April 20. First acceptances on 4/23.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:46 am

DeSimone wrote:Anyone remember when the first batch went to review last year?

EDIT: decided to go and look. The date is April 20. First acceptances on 4/23.

Balls...what the hell could they possibly be doing that is more important than reviewing our files?!?! Oh yeah, 0L applications...double balls...

Gordon Comstock

Postby Gordon Comstock » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:30 pm

Anybody else still not complete yet? I sent mine on the 11th...

maf70

Postby maf70 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:43 pm

It takes about a week to go complete. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:09 pm

Just checking out Georgetown's website like I do every single day...and I saw this...
"Early Action
If the Georgetown Law receives your completed application by March 15, 2011, your admissions decision will be mailed to you by early May."

Does that mean the application had to go complete by March 15th? I know we talked about this before and agreed that it was submitted by March 15th...but I didn't realize the wording specifically said "completed."

I hope not for the sake of you guys that haven't gone complete yet...

lsltyf

Postby lsltyf » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:10 pm

Gordon Comstock wrote:Anybody else still not complete yet? I sent mine on the 11th...

Don't worry about it at all. Mine was received on 2/28 and didn't go complete until 3/6. I looked at the thread from last year and it didn't seem to make a difference if it went complete before or after 3/15 as long as it was received before 3/15.

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:15 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:Just checking out Georgetown's website like I do every single day...and I saw this...
"Early Action
If the Georgetown Law receives your completed application by March 15, 2011, your admissions decision will be mailed to you by early May."

Does that mean the application had to go complete by March 15th? I know we talked about this before and agreed that it was submitted by March 15th...but I didn't realize the wording specifically said "completed."

completed application ≠ application for which the status changes to "complete" for GULC's internal purposes

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:33 pm

DeSimone wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:Just checking out Georgetown's website like I do every single day...and I saw this...
"Early Action

completed application ≠ application for which the status changes to "complete" for GULC's internal purposes

That's what I thought...just saw it and wondered. TY

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:50 am

I wonder if they pull up your old app (if you applied to as a 0L) when reviewing your transfer file.

ConfusedLawMan

Postby ConfusedLawMan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:29 pm

Anyone go complete who submitted last week -- 3/14 or 3/15?

I've been "App Received" since submitting -- hoping my school didn't screw up sending the transcript / supplemental form

maf70

Postby maf70 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:11 pm

It'll take 7-10 days to go complete.

quiver

Postby quiver » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:04 pm

I forgot how much fun it was looking at a status checker everyday and seeing no change...

Return to “Transfers”