Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Coolgrnmen

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:09 pm

DeSimone wrote:How long has it been taking to go complete?

Took 6 days for me...but I submitted quick

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
DeSimone wrote:How long has it been taking to go complete?

Took 6 days for me...but I submitted quick

About a week for myself also.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:56 pm

About to submit my app-- top 7% at #28 school. Do people think it's a solid yes from Georgetown??

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:18 pm

Regionality wrote:About to submit my app-- top 7% at #28 school. Do people think it's a solid yes from Georgetown??

RD: solid yes
EA: I'd guess just over 50%

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:18 pm

Regionality wrote:About to submit my app-- top 7% at #28 school. Do people think it's a solid yes from Georgetown??

Black Box...could go either way but likely admit depending on your softs (actual interest in Gtown, DC)
I think you have a good shot at Chi ED...even some better T14s

Why Gtown?

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:19 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:

Black Box...could go either way but likely admit depending on your softs (actual interest in Gtown, DC)

Why Gtown?

im obsessed with their transnational legal programs, their DC location and the fact that they're a T14 law school with excellent job prospects.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:24 pm

Regionality wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

Why Gtown?

im obsessed with their transnational legal programs, their DC location and the fact that they're a T14 law school with excellent job prospects.

I'd say admit...just speculating though...
Where else will you apply for transfer if accepted/ not accepted

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:26 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Regionality wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

Why Gtown?

I'd say admit...just speculating though...
Where else will you apply for transfer if accepted/ not accepted

I suppose it would depend on how my second semester turns out-- which I am less optimistic about than last semester. Harder, more boring classes, less newbie anxiety as a source of motivation and an increase in social distractions.

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:28 pm

Regionality wrote:I suppose it would depend on how my second semester turns out-- which I am less optimistic about than last semester. Harder, more boring classes, less newbie anxiety as a source of motivation and an increase in social distractions.

Welcome to the club

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:33 pm

DeSimone wrote:
Regionality wrote:I suppose it would depend on how my second semester turns out-- which I am less optimistic about than last semester. Harder, more boring classes, less newbie anxiety as a source of motivation and an increase in social distractions.

Welcome to the club

+1

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:49 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
DeSimone wrote:

Welcome to the club

+1

haha yea..well..

I'm trying to decide whether to apply to UChi ED-Binding...I really don't think I'll get accepted, but I also don't think there's any chance of my improving my grades enough to have a shot at HYS...

Thoughts?

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:51 am

I'd say you already have a decent shot at H and maybe Chicago ED (assuming no grade drop). Really, unless you're in love with DC and GULC transnational program, you should aim higher. 28 --> 14 is not a huge jump.

As for GULC job prospects, check this out: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202483173162&LAW_SCHOOLS_REPORT&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

Doing my best to dissuade you because your school ranking is going to make it tough on us T2ers! :) In all honesty you have a great shot.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:13 pm

Vronsky wrote:I'd say you already have a decent shot at H and maybe Chicago ED (assuming no grade drop). Really, unless you're in love with DC and GULC transnational program, you should aim higher. 28 --> 14 is not a huge jump.

As for GULC job prospects, check this out: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202483173162&LAW_SCHOOLS_REPORT&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

Doing my best to dissuade you because your school ranking is going to make it tough on us T2ers! :) In all honesty you have a great shot.

Well I like your optimism combined with overt ulterior motivation...

App submitted, we shall see what they come back with. Who else is getting their app in these days?

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:33 pm

Sent in my app on the first. Sent in my supplemental 'class rank' letter a few weeks ago. Based on what others are saying, should be fully complete within a week.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:02 am

PitchO20 wrote:Sent in my app on the first. Sent in my supplemental 'class rank' letter a few weeks ago. Based on what others are saying, should be fully complete within a week.

My school refused to put a rank, and was incredibly reluctant even to put a "top X%". I managed to convince them that if they didn't put some sort of numerical ranking that they would essentially be refusing to sign off on my 1st semester performance...I chalk it up more to ignorance than stubbornness, however.

Anyone else have this problem?

ms2010

Postby ms2010 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:52 am

Regionality wrote:
PitchO20 wrote:Sent in my app on the first. Sent in my supplemental 'class rank' letter a few weeks ago. Based on what others are saying, should be fully complete within a week.

My school refused to put a rank, and was incredibly reluctant even to put a "top X%". I managed to convince them that if they didn't put some sort of numerical ranking that they would essentially be refusing to sign off on my 1st semester performance...I chalk it up more to ignorance than stubbornness, however.

Yep. Mine refuse to put anything until the end of the year.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:16 am

ms2010 wrote:
Regionality wrote:

Yep. Mine refuse to put anything until the end of the year.

+1 - it's not uncommon in schools to not give a rank after 1st semester. Dunno why...

AugustaMasters

Postby AugustaMasters » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:20 pm

For anyone interested:

Took four days for me to go complete when Georgetown already had my class rank form prior.

Good luck to everyone!

luckyduck

Postby luckyduck » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:40 pm

My app is in. I'm not complete yet but I did verify with admission that they have the JD Certificate.

Top 10% - missed 5% by .06, SLU

Good luck everyone.

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:13 pm

Application just went complete, submitted the first. Hopefully we'll all find out by late April. Good luck to everyone.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:40 am

Submitted just now. 3.912 GPA at a west coast T3.

Good luck everyone. Fingers crossed.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:09 pm

Just thought this was interesting (has nothing to do with the transfer class).

Georgetown on March 2nd posted an update on their admissions page that "even thought the deadline has passed for JD admission," they will continue to accept applications until further notice.
The # of people taking the LSAT this year was about 18% less - wonder how that tied in...

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:17 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:Just thought this was interesting (has nothing to do with the transfer class).

Georgetown on March 2nd posted an update on their admissions page that "even thought the deadline has passed for JD admission," they will continue to accept applications until further notice.
The # of people taking the LSAT this year was about 18% less - wonder how that tied in...

Quite a few schools are accepting applications after their March 1 deadline. Wisconsin is too...WUSTL is as "space allows", whatever the hell that means considering they for sure have enough applicants to fill their class. Applications must be down a LOT this year across the board. Finally people got the memo that going to crappy law schools and paying tons of money is a risk worth avoiding unless conditions are ideal.

My only hope is that really terrible law schools that are essentially perpetrating a fraud and taking clueless students' loan money without any chance of paying it back will close their doors permanently.

shuttlesworth

Postby shuttlesworth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:35 pm

edit: wrong thread.

sarryn

Postby sarryn » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:36 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:Just thought this was interesting (has nothing to do with the transfer class).

Maybe this will help transfer students...

Oh, and just submitted my application. *fingers crossed*

Return to “Transfers”