Georgetown EA 2011 Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Regionality

Silver

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Post by Regionality » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:54 pm

CyLaw wrote:
Regionality wrote:
CyLaw wrote:Just got my acceptance letter in the Mail. (New York). Postmark is the same as the my updated complete date (4/20).

Now I have to make a decision on whether to lateral transfer for personal reasons.
I'm having trouble thinking of a lateral transfer from New York? The schools I can think of would either be transferring down or up by a decent amount.

[Edit] Unless by NY you mean NY State and then you'd be at Cornell?
Yes. By New York, I mean the State of New York. And, I am at Cornell.
Whats your rank and reason for transferring? What's the security deposit they want?

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:59 pm

Got my letter in the mail today (NY)

400 due by May 4th, 800 by June 1st.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:01 pm

Regionality wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
Regionality wrote:
CyLaw wrote:Just got my acceptance letter in the Mail. (New York). Postmark is the same as the my updated complete date (4/20).

Now I have to make a decision on whether to lateral transfer for personal reasons.
I'm having trouble thinking of a lateral transfer from New York? The schools I can think of would either be transferring down or up by a decent amount.

Whats your rank and reason for transferring? What's the security deposit they want?
(1) I don't discuss rank on TLS as my avatar is well known at my current school.

(2)

(a) My wife of seven years will be working in DC this next year. We were apart for the first year and half of marriage and been apart for the last year for 1L. Depending on the jobs I take post grad, we may be spending more time apart, so the idea of spending 2 years together in DC is very attractive. (But NY is not that far from DC; much closer than Iowa, where she is now)

(b) GULC has a better focus on National Security and government, it seems. National Security is my prime area of interest currently. (I have no interest in working private sector)

3) Only $400 for the first deposit.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:11 pm

Got the acceptance letter in the mail today. Hoozah!

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:33 pm

CyLaw wrote:
Regionality wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
Regionality wrote:

(1) I don't discuss rank on TLS as my avatar is well known at my current school.

(2)

(a) My wife of seven years will be working in DC this next year. We were apart for the first year and half of marriage and been apart for the last year for 1L. Depending on the jobs I take post grad, we may be spending more time apart, so the idea of spending 2 years together in DC is very attractive. (But NY is not that far from DC; much closer than Iowa, where she is now)

(b) GULC has a better focus on National Security and government, it seems. National Security is my prime area of interest currently. (I have no interest in working private sector)

3) Only $400 for the first deposit.
Tough call...looks like GULC wants 1200 bucks w/in a month or so to reserve the seat, that's pretty intense I must say. Have you made a lot of friends/connections/moot court/journal/organizations that you'd be disappointed to give up by moving to DC?

I know that I've been struggling a lot with that here...though I haven't gotten in yet so it's as moot as moot court right now

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mighttransfer

Bronze

Post by mighttransfer » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:35 pm

Got my acceptance letter today. pretty stoked, but 1200 within a month is pretty steep...decisions decisions

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:35 pm

Question for the thread:

GULC wants $400 deposits by May 4th, followed by 800 more beginning of June-- WOW, that's a decent chunk of change pretty soon.

Do we think they are waiting to see if they can accept more people at the beginning of May based on people not depositing? Are people thinking about skipping the deposit deadline after applying EA because of a change in personal circumstances/perspective?

Did this happen at all last year?

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Regionality wrote:Question for the thread:

GULC wants $400 deposits by May 4th, followed by 800 more beginning of June-- WOW, that's a decent chunk of change pretty soon.

Do we think they are waiting to see if they can accept more people at the beginning of May based on people not depositing? Are people thinking about skipping the deposit deadline after applying EA because of a change in personal circumstances/perspective?

They have to lock in some of your money before they begin considering RD...that way 1) you don't get a free decision (aside from app fee) and 2) other EA may be admitted in May.
That's my guess/hope...lol

Deposits have always been a great way for schools to weed out those that are seriously interested and not...

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:45 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:

They have to lock in some of your money before they begin considering RD...that way 1) you don't get a free decision (aside from app fee) and 2) other EA may be admitted in May.

Deposits have always been a great way for schools to weed out those that are seriously interested and not...
If that's the case I suppose I'd be hoping NOT to hear from them until then so that I may get a spot opened up by a non-depositor!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Whyaren'tIstudying

New

Post by Whyaren'tIstudying » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:51 pm

Whyaren'tIstudying wrote:
j7108 wrote:
Whyaren'tIstudying wrote:
Regionality wrote:Any noteworthy change for people?
For any PT applicants, and for what it's worth-- I went Complete 3/14, Complete 4/18, 4/20, 4/21. Got UN/PW yesterday (I tried on 4/20 to no avail, and even early in the day 4/21), and I can access the Admitted Student's page today.

Stats?
I mentioned them above. Currently in PT with 3.9 at a T50 in the DC Metro area (that'll narrow the possibilities a bit...)
I got my admit letter. Good luck everyone!

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:52 pm

Regionality wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

If that's the case I suppose I'd be hoping NOT to hear from them until then so that I may get a spot opened up by a non-depositor!
Kinda what I was thinking...lol...but I'd rather get in NOW...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:00 pm

Congrats to everyone who got in :).
Those seat deposits look pretty intense - part of why I didn't both with EA... though I'll be joining in the RD pool as soon as I finish my PS... after finals.

checkit123

New

Post by checkit123 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:04 pm

Are there any folks on the West Coast that rec'd an admit letter?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dclaw

New

Post by dclaw » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:42 am

can people who have been admitted post their stats? thanks!

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:44 am

T-25, top 1%.

sarryn

New

Post by sarryn » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:33 am

Slowest weekend ever. I had access to the admitted students website all weekend, but I just need the letter to ease my worries. :)

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:35 am

dclaw wrote:can people who have been admitted post their stats? thanks!
School in 80s. 4.0 (no rank yet).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:12 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:T-25, top 1%.
Are you even going to pay the deposit? You're HYS material...and T6 material even with a drop from your perch!

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:57 pm

Last edited by ShockTop on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:16 pm

ShockTop wrote:Damn, nice stats guys! Congrats to everybody who was accepted. starchinkilt, I think you might be in the top 1%? :lol:
:mrgreen: I can only assume unofficially. The highest official ranking at my school is top 5%

tmblaw

New

Post by tmblaw » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:03 am

Has anyone received a deferral/reject letter? Last year did they wait to send those out till after the acceptances?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:12 am

Any monday morning news?

lsltyf

New

Post by lsltyf » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:14 am

tmblaw wrote:Has anyone received a deferral/reject letter? Last year did they wait to send those out till after the acceptances?
Negative.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:19 am

Based on last-year's timeline...we should expect deferrals to start tomorrow.

ttinpa1234

New

Post by ttinpa1234 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:53 pm

Admitted. Number 1 at 60th ranked.

Ugh on the seat deposit. Means I have to find $1200.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”