Georgetown EA 2011 Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DeSimone

Bronze

Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Post by DeSimone » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:17 am

Anyone ready to submit tomorrow?

katekate

New

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Post by katekate » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:38 am

DeSimone wrote:Anyone ready to submit tomorrow?
Nope! Do you know if its better to apply early, since they make all the decisions at once?

DeSimone

Bronze

Post by DeSimone » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:54 pm

Not ready myself. Still have a few loose ends to tie up.

I was wondering about the value of applying early, too. Any takers?

mighttransfer

Bronze

Post by mighttransfer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:00 pm

No clue either, gonna throw out my app as soon as possible, though

zuluwarriors

New

Post by zuluwarriors » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:02 pm

applied on the last day last year and got in; don't think it makes a difference when you apply...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DeSimone

Bronze

Post by DeSimone » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:04 pm

zuluwarriors wrote:applied on the last day last year and got in; don't think it makes a difference when you apply...
Were you an auto-admit or on the bubble?

lawloser22

Bronze

Post by lawloser22 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:44 pm

DeSimone wrote:
zuluwarriors wrote:applied on the last day last year and got in; don't think it makes a difference when you apply...
Is there really such thing as an auto-admit for GULC EA? It's usually described as more of a black-box. What would you consider auto-admit numbers?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:08 pm

lawloser22 wrote:
DeSimone wrote:
Is there really such thing as an auto-admit for GULC EA? It's usually described as more of a black-box. What would you consider auto-admit numbers?
I think last year the poster that got into GULC EA went to a DC-ish area school and was in the top 5-10%. I will not be applying to GULC at all for transfer but good luck to everyone ITT who is.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:09 pm

Im going to try and submit by the middle of February. People should start earlier than later. Ive heard that a lot of professors take up to a month to write LORs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:19 pm

Not sure if I will be applying EA yet. I probably will apply to GULC RD as a back-up in case I get no better offers and my school refuses to make my scholarship into a full-ride (ie. I don't get better and my school keeps my scholarship where it is at, GULC might get tempting).

AugustaMasters

New

Post by AugustaMasters » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:27 am

Anyone who transferred into GULC last year know roughly what size the transfer class was? Did they take less transfers compared to previous years (I've heard around 100)

Thanks.

PitchO20

Bronze

Post by PitchO20 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:25 am

For our main 'core' app we just need to send in GTown's Transfer App form, Personal Statement, and Resume, right? Then the LoR's can be added later and school transcripts are requested from GULC?

uzpakalis

Bronze

Post by uzpakalis » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:25 pm

I applied. I submitted all materials except for the LOR's. I will send the LOR's over to GULC as soon as LSAC receives them. Good luck all!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawfuture10

Bronze

Post by lawfuture10 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:17 pm

random5483 wrote:Not sure if I will be applying EA yet. I probably will apply to GULC RD as a back-up in case I get no better offers and my school refuses to make my scholarship into a full-ride (ie. I don't get better and my school keeps my scholarship where it is at, GULC might get tempting).
I would say if you're considering -- EA the application. The Georgetown EA is not binding, and it will be a huge weight off of your shoulders if you can apply early and get in early. :D

You can also still apply up, up, up, as I am planning [hoping] to do this summer.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:43 pm

lawfuture10 wrote:
random5483 wrote:Not sure if I will be applying EA yet. I probably will apply to GULC RD as a back-up in case I get no better offers and my school refuses to make my scholarship into a full-ride (ie. I don't get better and my school keeps my scholarship where it is at, GULC might get tempting).
I would say if you're considering -- EA the application. The Georgetown EA is not binding, and it will be a huge weight off of your shoulders if you can apply early and get in early. :D

You can also still apply up, up, up, as I am planning [hoping] to do this summer.
I guess there are two major reasons behind my vacillation. First, I am not sure if I would use a GULC admission as anything more than a scholarship negotiation tool. Second, I am in the process of building professor relationships for LoR (just started it in early jan). I have a couple of professors in mind for LoRs, but I would prefer to give it a month or two so they know me a bit more than just "the guy who booked" the classes (yea, I know, I should have gone to office hours more often last semester).

I am not targeting the DC market and though GULC is a fair jump from my school, giving up a scholarship/grades/etc, makes it a borderline school for me (ie. not sure if I would attend if admitted). Anyways, if I do apply via EA it won't be till early March (and I will post more details if/when I apply).

potentialtransfer

New

Post by potentialtransfer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:00 pm

Just curious if anyone thinks I should even bother doing this...

I am at a T3/T4 school and ranked 9/135 which puts me right around 6-7% with a GPA of 3.5. I know my odds are pretty slim but the prof I had in mind is a GULC alum and I know she would write a great letter for me. Does that matter at all?

What do you think?

DeSimone

Bronze

Post by DeSimone » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:37 pm

potentialtransfer wrote:Just curious if anyone thinks I should even bother doing this...

I am at a T3/T4 school and ranked 9/135 which puts me right around 6-7% with a GPA of 3.5. I know my odds are pretty slim but the prof I had in mind is a GULC alum and I know she would write a great letter for me. Does that matter at all?

What do you think?
Worth a shot imo. It also depends on your career plans and $ situation at current school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:11 pm

Hoping to have my application complete this weekend. Just need to reread and edit my PS a couple more times, and then everything should be set.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:18 pm

Something to keep in mind: if you are accepted EA, there are two deposit deadlines before June (and before spring grades are released at most schools). This means that you will end up spending over $1k to keep the acceptance in your back pocket before you hear from anywhere else RD.

PitchO20

Bronze

Post by PitchO20 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Does anybody know how GULC generally contacts EA applicants who are accepted? Phone call?

DeSimone

Bronze

Post by DeSimone » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:19 pm

PitchO20 wrote:Does anybody know how GULC generally contacts EA applicants who are accepted? Phone call?
By mail, according to last year's thread.

There may or may not also be a back-door way through the admitted students website.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PitchO20

Bronze

Post by PitchO20 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:13 pm

Does anyone know if transfer applicants tend to fare better if they apply for both the PT and FT program?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:31 pm

DeSimone wrote:
PitchO20 wrote:Does anybody know how GULC generally contacts EA applicants who are accepted? Phone call?
By mail, according to last year's thread.

There may or may not also be a back-door way through the admitted students website.
Received an email last year, fwiw.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:28 pm

CyLaw wrote:Hoping to have my application complete this weekend. Just need to reread and edit my PS a couple more times, and then everything should be set.
And submitted. Also, received an email from LSAC today that they received my LOR from my law prof. Glad that he was on top of it, so I can just sit back and concentrate on class.

DeSimone

Bronze

Post by DeSimone » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:51 pm

CyLaw wrote:
CyLaw wrote:Hoping to have my application complete this weekend. Just need to reread and edit my PS a couple more times, and then everything should be set.
And submitted. Also, received an email from LSAC today that they received my LOR from my law prof. Glad that he was on top of it, so I can just sit back and concentrate on class.
Cornell to GULC? You must really like DC.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”