Georgetown EA 2011 Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ms2010

Bronze

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Post by ms2010 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:03 pm

Do we have any idea of people's stats who updated today?

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:10 pm

I'm not reading this stuff but just wanted to drop a line to those who were deferred - I got deferred (and ultimately rejected) last year but got into UM, Berkeley, Columbia. Honestly, ended up saving me 1200, so just go fuck up spring exams.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:13 pm

stinger35 wrote:I'm not reading this stuff but just wanted to drop a line to those who were deferred - I got deferred (and ultimately rejected) last year but got into UM, Berkeley, Columbia. Honestly, ended up saving me 1200, so just go fuck up spring exams.

:shock:
wow- that's awesome. Thx for encouragement and congrats! I am actually worried exams are going to fuck me up, but I think I need a more positive attitude.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:16 pm

ms2010 wrote:Do we have any idea of people's stats who updated today?
a VERY wide range.

ms2010

Bronze

Post by ms2010 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:22 pm

maf70 wrote:
a VERY wide range.
Interesting - anyone dare try to login to the admitted students' site?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:27 pm

doesnt work. :D

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:28 pm

ms2010 wrote:
maf70 wrote:
a VERY wide range.
Interesting - anyone dare try to login to the admitted students' site?

Kind of wondering that too.. I want to, but cringe at the thought of an adcomm noticing I'm trying to log in as an admitted student and then deciding to reject me :lol: .

Wasn't it not until after the second status change last week that anyone could access the admitted students site last week?

Also, although it obviously seems weird that someone could access it without having been accepted, has anyone heard of that happening? (maybe if the function that involves getting a password isn't fully connected to a definitive listing of who is accepted and who is not?)

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:21 pm

Last edited by ShockTop on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j7108

New

Post by j7108 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:59 pm

maf70 wrote:doesnt work. :D

Ditto...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:56 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
zomginternets wrote:I went to 4/25 today.

I think 4/25 changes are deferrals. I think any date changes on or soon after the deposit deadline for the first wave of EA's, those will be the next 'wave' of EA acceptances.
Curious why you think those updated today (4/25) are necessarily deferrals. Last week the pattern seemed to be that ppl who got updated on Monday included both acceptances and deferrals, but only the acceptances got updated again on Wednesday. I would think that pattern would hold true for this week, but maybe not (and maybe the actual pattern was more nuanced than this).

Also, don't all EAs have the same deposit deadline? If so, it doesn't make sense to me that the next 'wave' of EA acceptances would be after the EA deposit deadline. I think this week- with the Monday status updates- is reasonably the start of any second wave, assuming that decisions are made in batches (waves) as speculated.

I checked earlier and wasn't updated, but I plan to check again... I expect a deferral with my numbers, but am holding out some hope......
Well, I don't think they are necessarily deferrals, but that would be my best guess. My thoughts are that everyone who was an auto-EA admit would be in the first batch of acceptances, and then when only 60% of those people put the deposit down, they look to the next group of people they're down to EA admit. I just don't think a second wave of EA admits would come after the first batch but before the first deposit deadline, especially since the deposit deadline is so soon after the offer. At least that would be the way I would run shit. 8)

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:05 am

zomginternets wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

I think 4/25 changes are deferrals. I think any date changes on or soon after the deposit deadline for the first wave of EA's, those will be the next 'wave' of EA acceptances.
Curious why you think those updated today (4/25) are necessarily deferrals. Last week the pattern seemed to be that ppl who got updated on Monday included both acceptances and deferrals, but only the acceptances got updated again on Wednesday. I would think that pattern would hold true for this week, but maybe not (and maybe the actual pattern was more nuanced than this).

Also, don't all EAs have the same deposit deadline? If so, it doesn't make sense to me that the next 'wave' of EA acceptances would be after the EA deposit deadline. I think this week- with the Monday status updates- is reasonably the start of any second wave, assuming that decisions are made in batches (waves) as speculated.

I checked earlier and wasn't updated, but I plan to check again... I expect a deferral with my numbers, but am holding out some hope......
Well, I don't think they are necessarily deferrals, but that would be my best guess. My thoughts are that everyone who was an auto-EA admit would be in the first batch of acceptances, and then when only 60% of those people put the deposit down, they look to the next group of people they're down to EA admit. I just don't think a second wave of EA admits would come after the first batch but before the first deposit deadline, especially since the deposit deadline is so soon after the offer. At least that would be the way I would run shit. 8)
Here's how I would run it:

- First batch: Look at all the people with really good numbers, accept most of them and reject/defer the ones that say they're nazi's (deferring the ones who say they're nazi's but are open to change second semester)
- Second batch: Look at all the rest of the people and accept the ones who have really strong number (but aren't auto-admits) and have EXTREMELY strong softs
- Wait until May 4th
- See how many people don't deposit. Once a chunk don't deposit, admit some more May 5th who were borderline admit
- Reject those who you wouldn't let in even if they pulled straight A's second semester
- Defer the rest

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:24 am

Regionality wrote:
zomginternets wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

Here's how I would run it:

- First batch: Look at all the people with really good numbers, accept most of them and reject/defer the ones that say they're nazi's (deferring the ones who say they're nazi's but are open to change second semester)
- Second batch: Look at all the rest of the people and accept the ones who have really strong number (but aren't auto-admits) and have EXTREMELY strong softs
- Wait until May 4th
- See how many people don't deposit. Once a chunk don't deposit, admit some more May 5th who were borderline admit
- Reject those who you wouldn't let in even if they pulled straight A's second semester
- Defer the rest
Hey Georgetown, you're doing a great job and I wouldn't change a thing. :lol:

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:29 am

Last edited by ShockTop on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

j7108

New

Post by j7108 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:48 am

Hey Georgetown, you're doing a great job and I wouldn't change a thing. :lol:
...ditto...

I would admit everybody posting here because we care enough to talk to each other about it/try backdoor ways to see if we got in/etc..
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
...ditto...

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:50 am

The whole deposit deadline theory has major holes.

First: The deposit deadline is 1)before anyone gets grades and 2)before anyone has a chance to hear from other schools (necessitated by the first).

It stands to reason that anyone applying EA to Georgetown would not waste the $85 on an application only to not put down a deposit with NOTHING changed in their situation.

If someone were going to apply EA to Georgetown, then they probably want the Gtown acceptance in their back pocket. Since they've gotten no grades and no other acceptances to change this, why would they not put down a deposit? This seems counter-intuitive. If they weren't going to put down a deposit if accepted EA, then it seems likely they would just wait and apply RD (or not apply at all if grades dictate).

Georgetown also has to know that its deposit deadline does not actually guarantee that anyone comes. They recognize that the non-binding nature of EA means that they will still lose a huge quantity of people who do put down deposits. This is mostly because almost everyone who is accepted will put down a deposit.

This isn't typical admissions where a deadline plays a huge role in choice. You're working with faulty assumptions if you think that the deadline is playing a major role in their decision making.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:57 am

Ty Webb wrote:The whole deposit deadline theory has major holes.

First: The deposit deadline is 1)before anyone gets grades and 2)before anyone has a chance to hear from other schools (necessitated by the first).

It stands to reason that anyone applying EA to Georgetown would not waste the $85 on an application only to not put down a deposit with NOTHING changed in their situation.

If someone were going to apply EA to Georgetown, then they probably want the Gtown acceptance in their back pocket. Since they've gotten no grades and no other acceptances to change this, why would they not put down a deposit? This seems counter-intuitive. If they weren't going to put down a deposit if accepted EA, then it seems likely they would just wait and apply RD (or not apply at all if grades dictate).

Georgetown also has to know that its deposit deadline does not actually guarantee that anyone comes. They recognize that the non-binding nature of EA means that they will still lose a huge quantity of people who do put down deposits. This is mostly because almost everyone who is accepted will put down a deposit.

This isn't typical admissions where a deadline plays a huge role in choice. You're working with faulty assumptions if you think that the deadline is playing a major role in their decision making.
Flaw to your logic:

People's circumstances do change from the time they apply to the time they require a deposit. Examples include:
Falling in love, making a journal/moot court, making very good friends, receiving SOME grades such that they feel more or less confident (perhaps in LRW), surprise in the amount GULC requires to secure a seat by the time they would hear from other schools (this was not announced anywhere I could find), acceptance to WUSTL, evolving job market such that they are comfortable being Top 1-5% at a T2, gaining a summer job somewhere they feel confident they could get a permanent job at, dropping out of law school, death in the family, sickness in the family, drastic change in financial circumstances such that 1200 dollars is prohibitively expensive OR paying sticker at GULC is a bad idea, receiving a scholarship from their current school for next year, a new found hatred for DC, breaking up with a girlfriend/boyfriend who lived in DC (hence why you applied EA in the first place)

Edit: More ideas: Gaining acceptance to a dual degree program, receiving an outside scholarship specific to your school, getting a clinical that goes into next year, a new found love for the city you live in, a growing feeling of "belonging"/having a network, finding a taco shop you absolutely love

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:03 am

Regionality wrote:

Flaw to your logic:

People's circumstances do change from the time they apply to the time they require a deposit. Examples include:
Falling in love, making a journal/moot court, making very good friends, receiving SOME grades such that they feel more or less confident (perhaps in LRW), surprise in the amount GULC requires to secure a seat by the time they would hear from other schools (this was not announced anywhere I could find), acceptance to WUSTL, evolving job market such that they are comfortable being Top 1-5% at a T2, gaining a summer job somewhere they feel confident they could get a permanent job at, dropping out of law school, death in the family, sickness in the family, drastic change in financial circumstances such that 1200 dollars is prohibitively expensive OR paying sticker at GULC is a bad idea, receiving a scholarship from their current school for next year, a new found hatred for DC, breaking up with a girlfriend/boyfriend who lived in DC (hence why you applied EA in the first place)
:roll: :roll: :shock: :roll: :roll:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:09 am

maf70 wrote:
Regionality wrote:

Flaw to your logic:

:roll: :roll: :shock: :roll: :roll:
Haha the funny thing about your eye-rolls is that you rolled your eyes to the most reasonable and least reasonable idea I came up with (most reasonable-- falling in love, least would be choosing WUSTL over GULC)

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:12 am

Regionality wrote:

Flaw to your logic:

Edit: More ideas: Gaining acceptance to a dual degree program, receiving an outside scholarship specific to your school, getting a clinical that goes into next year, a new found love for the city you live in, a growing feeling of "belonging"/having a network, finding a taco shop you absolutely love
I said "almost everyone" will put down a deposit. This was intentional to account for the people who would do something stupid like not deposit because they "fell in love", "made moot court", "made good friends", and the like.

What you've included is a listing of outliers. These are the exceptions. You're acting as if they're the rule. I'll stand by what I said and point out that presenting limited exceptions (which I already accounted for) to the rule does not discredit the logic behind the rule.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:15 am

Ty Webb wrote:
Regionality wrote:

Flaw to your logic:

I said "almost everyone" will put down a deposit. This was intentional to account for the people who would do something stupid like not deposit because they "fell in love", "made moot court", "made good friends", and the like.

What you've included is a listing of outliers. These are the exceptions. You're acting as if they're the rule. I'll stand by what I said and point out that presenting limited exceptions (which I already accounted for) to the rule does not discredit the logic behind the rule.
There will be people that will not deposit. GULC may fill those spots with other EAers. If you would not like that spot, I'll be happy to take it.

And while of course those are exceptional circumstances, I think many of us have second guessed ourselves in our decision to consider transferring, even if in the end most of us would still jump at the opportunity.

And I actually think falling in love would be the most likely reason someone would want to stay in the town they're in.

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:23 am

Regionality wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:
Regionality wrote:

Flaw to your logic:

There will be people that will not deposit. GULC may fill those spots with other EAers. If you would not like that spot, I'll be happy to take it.

And while of course those are exceptional circumstances, I think many of us have second guessed ourselves in our decision to consider transferring, even if in the end most of us would still jump at the opportunity.

And I actually think falling in love would be the most likely reason someone would want to stay in the town they're in.

1) Second guessing your decision to transfer =/= deciding not to put down a deposit that is non-binding and will hold your spot. These things are not mutually exclusive.

2) "Falling in love" is an insanely stupid reason to make an otherwise bad career choice. I'm operating under the assumption that anyone who is smart enough to do well enough in school to get into Georgetown EA would also be smart enough not to make an insanely stupid decision. Fair assumption, IYAM.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:25 am

Ty Webb wrote:
Regionality wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:
Regionality wrote:
Flaw to your logic:

1) Second guessing your decision to transfer =/= deciding not to put down a deposit that is non-binding and will hold your spot. These things are not mutually exclusive.

2) "Falling in love" is an insanely stupid reason to make an otherwise bad career choice. I'm operating under the assumption that anyone who is smart enough to do well enough in school to get into Georgetown EA would also be smart enough not to make an insanely stupid decision. Fair assumption, IYAM.
Proof why lawyers are called heartless :-P Haven't you ever seen The Notebook or Titanic? Love makes people do craaaazy things. Staying top 5% at a T2 rather than transferring to GULC would be one of the less stupid moves.

mantra

New

Post by mantra » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:18 am

Ah. I just found this thread for this year. T2 (70-80), Rank 11, 3.74, top 4% (part-time currently).

Also SBA rep and on dean's student advisory board, female-asian-american. Taught English in Spain and worked for a city council member 1 year.

Applied FT and got a Status change to complete on 4/25

I hope that status change does not mean deferred. Anyone with a 4/25 date change updated with what that means?!

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:26 am

I don't think people quite act with such mathematical precision as you think. Also, being ok with losing $85 =/= being ok with losing $1000+.

I actually don't even understand how you think that the deposit deadline doesn't play a major role in decision making here? The only two conceivable reasons for requiring deposits are 1) to see who is serious about attending (i.e. weed out non-serious people); 2) revenue raising for people who are willing to put a deposit down but not attend. #2 is not fulfilled with a short, 2 week deposit deadline--by your logic, people should be just as willing to deposit on May 5 as they would be on, say, June 5, because no one has gotten spring grades or heard back from other transfer schools. So I highly doubt that there is absolutely no "weeding out" function of early, costly deposit deadlines.

Edit: and even regardless of any of the foregoing, no deposit on May 5 = additional open spaces for EA acceptances. Barring every person depositing on May 5, there will be open EA admission slot(s) to go to the next best person(s).
Last edited by zomginternets on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

mantra

New

Post by mantra » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:31 am

zomginternets wrote:
Ty Webb wrote: So I highly doubt that there is absolutely no "weeding out" function of early, costly deposit deadlines.
I second that motion. I definitely was "weeded out" when I was making decisions to schools when I first applied. Reality hits, you get more informed of what you can get into, and shit happens.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”