Georgetown EA 2011 Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
out17

New

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Post by out17 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Anyone change from Complete to under review or decision rendered today? (I'm guessing not since no one mentioned anything...)

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:37 pm

Last edited by ShockTop on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davis54

New

Post by Davis54 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:39 pm

On the same note, was the emphasis last year on the fact that the "Application Completed" date changed, or on the fact the the applications went "Under Review?" I looked quickly and didnt see anybody talking about the date change. Am I wrong?

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Last edited by ShockTop on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

out17

New

Post by out17 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:48 pm

It seems to change sometimes from year to year...? They like to add to the mystery I guess. :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

out17

New

Post by out17 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:50 pm

Davis54 wrote:On the same note, was the emphasis last year on the fact that the "Application Completed" date changed, or on the fact the the applications went "Under Review?" I looked quickly and didnt see anybody talking about the date change. Am I wrong?
I'm not sure if there was just a date change last year. Maybe this year we're just going straight from complete to decision rendered (since the emails some received this week said our files were already under review).

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:52 pm

It would seem that most of the "confusion" stems from people trying to draw hard, fast conclusions about an unpredictable, subject-to-change system using an incomplete data set extrapolated over multiple years.

Crazy, I know.

out17

New

Post by out17 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:55 pm

Ty Webb wrote:It would seem that most of the "confusion" stems from people trying to draw hard, fast conclusions about an unpredictable, subject-to-change system using an incomplete data set extrapolated over multiple years.

Crazy, I know.
Pretty sure everyone is aware of this. But it's not going to stop excited, hyped-up people from speculating.

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:31 pm

out17 wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:It would seem that most of the "confusion" stems from people trying to draw hard, fast conclusions about an unpredictable, subject-to-change system using an incomplete data set extrapolated over multiple years.

Crazy, I know.
Pretty sure everyone is aware of this. But it's not going to stop excited, hyped-up people from speculating.
No, I don't think "everyone" is aware of this.

There are people in this thread licking their wounds when not a single confirmed person is under review yet and their own status checkers haven't updated since February.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:34 pm

Ty Webb wrote:
out17 wrote:

Crazy, I know.

There are people in this thread licking their wounds when not a single confirmed person is under review yet and their own status checkers haven't updated since February.
cool story bro.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:53 pm

Ty Webb wrote:
out17 wrote:

Crazy, I know.

Guilty as charged...douchebag

The fact that some have access info to the admitted students site is a clear indication that they have been under review...unless you suggest we assume that GULC didn't review anything and just played eeny meeny miny mo with the applications...

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:57 pm

LOL this thread is comedy.

I remember waiting around for all this crap to unfold last year, while trying to study for finals. Miserable. But I empathize.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:04 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:LOL this thread is comedy.

I remember waiting around for all this crap to unfold last year, while trying to study for finals. Miserable. But I empathize.
Where'd you end up?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:07 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:
out17 wrote:

Crazy, I know.

Guilty as charged...douchebag

The fact that some have access info to the admitted students site is a clear indication that they have been under review...unless you suggest we assume that GULC didn't review anything and just played eeny meeny miny mo with the applications...
Typical law students.

Get called out for being insufferable and OCD, so you turn things around.

Carry on - don't let me stand in the way of this time-consuming, fruitless exercise.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:13 pm

I was around t10% + LR. Dinged from T14 (applied to a smattering of schools), but ended up going to a T20. It ended up being the best career move I've ever made. I was deferred EA until almost August (literally the LAST group still waiting). At that point, I said fck it and withdrew, since I missed the OCI bidding deadline (Protip: if you're deferred and you miss the bidding deadline, think long and hard about going!). I would argue that I was in a FAR better position for getting a job at my current school than GULC, so I'm glad things unfolded as such. I'm not a huge fan of the lottery OCI, especially for transfers at a school like GULC. Nevertheless, GULC is likely a huge upgrade from most of the schools where you are spending (or, will have spent :wink: ) your 1L year. As much as everybody hates to admit it, school rank almost invariably follows a positive correlation with quality of education/access to opportunities.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:15 pm

Ty Webb wrote:
Typical law students.

Get called out for being insufferable and OCD, so you turn things around.

Carry on - don't let me stand in the way of this time-consuming, fruitless exercise.
I don't think you know the meaning of OCD considering you used it in the context you did...

We will carry on because that is the ENTIRE purpose of this forum. If you don't want to participate, then don't...but even with your negativity you are participating on a similar level as us.
How can you prove me wrong? Don't post anymore...win-win for both of us.

SniperBarbie

New

Post by SniperBarbie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:17 pm

It's okay, children. Nobody is the keeper of anyone else's emotions. The auto-admits are all going to ditch their seats for Columbia but spend money keeping their spot. Those with numbers closer to Gtown's purported target will get deferred and then accepted over the summer. Go study your con law and maybe do some yoga?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:17 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:I was around t10% + LR. Dinged from T14 (applied to a smattering of schools), but ended up going to a T20. It ended up being the best career move I've ever made. I was deferred EA until almost August (literally the LAST group still waiting). At that point, I said fck it and withdrew, since I missed the OCI bidding deadline (Protip: if you're deferred and you miss the bidding deadline, think long and hard about going!). I would argue that I was in a FAR better position for getting a job at my current school than GULC, so I'm glad things unfolded as such. I'm not a huge fan of the lottery OCI, especially for transfers at a school like GULC. Nevertheless, GULC is likely a huge upgrade from most of the schools where you are spending (or, will have spent :wink: ) your 1L year. As much as everybody hates to admit it, school rank almost invariably follows a positive correlation with quality of education/access to opportunities.
Congrats on landing top 20...I wouldn't mind a school like BU I don't think...better than where I'm at now.
Thanks for the post

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:19 pm

SniperBarbie wrote:It's okay, children. Nobody is the keeper of anyone else's emotions. The auto-admits are all going to ditch their seats for Columbia but spend money keeping their spot. Those with numbers closer to Gtown's purported target will get deferred and then accepted over the summer. Go study your con law and maybe do some yoga?
I'm reading Leg Reg right now...
My school puts con law off till year 2 and we have Legislation & Regulation instead...I kinda like how it is structured, but its bass ackwards for any school I want to transfer to.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:24 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
SniperBarbie wrote:It's okay, children. Nobody is the keeper of anyone else's emotions. The auto-admits are all going to ditch their seats for Columbia but spend money keeping their spot. Those with numbers closer to Gtown's purported target will get deferred and then accepted over the summer. Go study your con law and maybe do some yoga?
My school puts con law off till year 2 and we have Legislation & Regulation instead...I kinda like how it is structured, but its bass ackwards for any school I want to transfer to.
I agree with sniper.

Furthermore, my school does not offer con law until second year either.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:29 pm

maf70 wrote:Coolgrnmen wrote:
SniperBarbie wrote:
It's okay, children. Nobody is the keeper of anyone else's emotions. The auto-admits are all going to ditch their seats for Columbia but spend money keeping their spot. Those with numbers closer to Gtown's purported target will get deferred and then accepted over the summer. Go study your con law and maybe do some yoga?

I agree with sniper.

whoa really? interesting. what do you guys take 1L? how's legislation and regulation? sounds interesting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:56 pm

quiver wrote:
maf70 wrote:Coolgrnmen wrote:
SniperBarbie wrote:

I agree with sniper.

whoa really? interesting. what do you guys take 1L? how's legislation and regulation? sounds interesting.
Torts, Civ Pro, Contracts, LWR was my first semester
Property, Crim. Law, Leg Reg, Lawyering, and LWR is this semester.

Leg reg is alright...its basically just an intro into all the other classes which focus around the statutes rather than case law...

Lawyering is a skills course which is interesting. We have simulations that we are graded on and then a final exam which we prep for...so its almost open book?

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:04 pm

First semester: Torts, Civ Pro (jurisdiction), Property, Contracts, LRW
Second Semester: Torts, Civ Pro (rules), Property, Contracts, Crim Law, LRW

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:49 pm

quiver wrote:Torts, Civ Pro, Contracts, LWR was my first semester

Leg reg is alright...its basically just an intro into all the other classes which focus around the statutes rather than case law...

Lawyering is a skills course which is interesting. We have simulations that we are graded on and then a final exam which we prep for...so its almost open book?
Ah I see, not as radical as I was expecting. I have the same first semester then just con law instead of leg reg (and no lawyering) this semester. Lawyering sounds interesting though, probably an appropriately named class from what I gather.
maf70 wrote:First semester: Torts, Civ Pro (jurisdiction), Property, Contracts, LRW
Wow. Torts, Civ Pro, Property, and Contracts are all full year? Then they throw in Crim second semester?!? That's gotta be a hefty workload.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:51 pm

quiver wrote:
quiver wrote:Torts, Civ Pro, Contracts, LWR was my first semester

Ah I see, not as radical as I was expecting. I have the same first semester then just con law instead of leg reg (and no lawyering) this semester. Lawyering sounds interesting though, probably an appropriately named class from what I gather.
maf70 wrote:First semester: Torts, Civ Pro (jurisdiction), Property, Contracts, LRW
Wow. Torts, Civ Pro, Property, and Contracts are all full year? Then they throw in Crim second semester?!? That's gotta be a hefty workload.
I'm
First semester: Torts, Civ Pro, Contracts and Substantive Criminal law
Second semester: LRW, Property, Criminal Procedure, Con law and an ELECTIVE!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”