Georgetown EA 2011 Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mrosmith

Bronze

Re: Georgetown EA 2011 Thread

Post by mrosmith » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:35 am

For those of you who have been admitted here is a facebook group for incoming transfers.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/188494571214991/

aca0260

Bronze

Post by aca0260 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:24 am

Did anyone get off the WL last year?

BAK123

New

Post by BAK123 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:52 pm

aca0260 wrote:Did anyone get off the WL last year?
Here's the mind game that's currently racking my brain: if Georgetown's transfer class is around 100 people, they make offers to +100 people. Say, they make offers to 200 kids and expect half will accept. If you're Georgetown, and 50 of 200 decline your offer of admission, do you necessarily start making more offers even though of the 150 remaining students you could have 90-100 kids accept?

I guess what I'm asking is that waitlisted applicants understandably become more hopeful when kids who get into higher ranked schools withdraw. But, of the kids that applied to transfer to GULC, the only kids that would be likely to withdraw an acceptance are kids who were close to auto-admits, given that they are withdrawing to attend a higher ranked school that, presumably, requires a "better" applicant. My fear is that an offer was made to this pool of students not with the expectation that a majority of them would accept but that a few would and GULC would get a stellar applicant. So, if it's expected that the kids who withdraw, will withdraw, they probably build that into the amount they offer, no?

It seems like you'd only go to the waitlist not when you don't get your 1st, 2nd, 3rd pick. You'd go to the waitlist when you didn't get your 60th pick.

BAK123

New

Post by BAK123 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:55 pm

BAK123 wrote:
Here's the mind game that's currently racking my brain: if Georgetown's transfer class is around 100 people, they make offers to +100 people. Say, they make offers to 200 kids and expect half will accept. If you're Georgetown, and 50 of 200 decline your offer of admission, do you necessarily start making more offers even though of the 150 remaining students you could have 90-100 kids accept?

I guess what I'm asking is that waitlisted applicants understandably become more hopeful when kids who get into higher ranked schools withdraw. But, of the kids that applied to transfer to GULC, the only kids that would be likely to withdraw an acceptance are kids who were close to auto-admits, given that they are withdrawing to attend a higher ranked school that, presumably, requires a "better" applicant. My fear is that an offer was made to this pool of students not with the expectation that a majority of them would accept but that a few would and GULC would get a stellar applicant. So, if it's expected that the kids who withdraw, will withdraw, they probably build that into the amount they offer, no?

It seems like you'd only go to the waitlist not when you don't get your 1st, 2nd, 3rd pick. You'd go to the waitlist when you didn't get your 60th pick.
The best way to put what I'm getting at is as follows: it seems like you'd only go to the waitlist when something goes wrong. Applicants from T20 schools in the Top 10% of the class withdrawing from GULC to attend a T6 doesn't sound like something going wrong.

aca0260

Bronze

Post by aca0260 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:20 pm

Yes, people withdrawing does not equal waitlist movement. GULC has figured out their numbers and they accepted more than are likely to attend. They are fine with that because they only have room for a set number. I'm curious if people last year were admitted off the waitlist at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:55 am

BAK123 wrote:
BAK123 wrote:

The best way to put what I'm getting at is as follows: it seems like you'd only go to the waitlist when something goes wrong. Applicants from T20 schools in the Top 10% of the class withdrawing from GULC to attend a T6 doesn't sound like something going wrong.
GULC (like any school/university with a competitive application process) expects a certain yield, so yes, people choosing other schools does not necessarily open up a spot for a waitlisted applicant. With that being said, they also need to protect themselves against over-enrollment. To do this they establish a certain risk-tolerance with regard to yield. However, these are only predictions based on averages. As such, some years they get too high a yield (overenrollment, no waitlist admits). Some years they get too low a yield (waitlist admits). And some years they get it just right (perfect enrollment and no waitlist admits).

gdizz01

New

Post by gdizz01 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:00 am

hey, anyone looking for housing? I'd love to live in the capital hill area, really easy walking distance from the law school. Pls PM if interested! Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”