Mississippi College School of Law to UNC-CH, WF, or Duke? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
spintk

New

Mississippi College School of Law to UNC-CH, WF, or Duke?

Post by spintk » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:46 pm

Finished out my first semester at MC Law with a 4.0. Did a bunch of volunteering during the semester. Does anyone think I stand a shot at making it into NC to one of those? My reasoning is I really love the area and want to live and practice on the east coast. All three of those schools provide me options to stay in NC or move north. What are my chances? Any problems if I drop to a 3.8?

Thanks for the opinions.

patrickd139

Gold

Re: Mississippi College School of Law to UNC-CH, WF, or Duke?

Post by patrickd139 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:28 pm

There's not a lot of data on this type of transfer, so I won't pretend to assess your chances. However, a big component seems to be your reasoning to transfer, including your ties to the area your new school would be in. My main concern for someone in your position would not be in your chances of successfully transferring, but your chances at landing a job post-graduation.

North Carolina's a long way from Mississippi. Is there a particular reason you chose MC in the first place?

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:06 pm

The following might be helpful for UNC:

Transfer Students
Students Transferring to UNC

UNC accepts very few transfer students each year. To be admitted, transfer applicants must meet two criteria:

1. The student must have met the admission requirements of the class to which he or she would have been a part.
2. There must be serious family or health reasons for transferring to UNC.

http://www.law.unc.edu/academics/polici ... x#transfer

Good Luck! UNC is a great school!

dddhhh

Bronze

Post by dddhhh » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:20 pm

Here is some information that you may find useful from Duke's website:

Each year, Duke Law School enrolls a number of transfer students who have completed their first year at another law school. The exact number varies, but has ranged between 12 and 20 in recent years.

Most successful transfer applicants have a law school record that puts them at least in the top quarter of their class. We are particularly interested in admitting applicants who have specific reasons for wanting to be at Duke Law and seem likely to be active members of our community.

http://www.law.duke.edu/admis/apply/transvis

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:38 pm

Duke is over enrolled by about 40 people (~247, target is 200), so I'm not sure how many transfers they will be taking.

Good luck though, I would still apply to Duke.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:27 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Duke is over enrolled by about 40 people (~247, target is 200), so I'm not sure how many transfers they will be taking.

At the same time, my T2 was over enrolled by about 20 and still took several transfers. Being a T2, we're automatically a diploma mill though, so take from that what you wish.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:30 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Duke is over enrolled by about 40 people (~247, target is 200), so I'm not sure how many transfers they will be taking.

At the same time, my T2 was over enrolled by about 20 and still took several transfers. Being a T2, we're automatically a diploma mill though, so take from that what you wish.

Most schools over enrolled this academic year due to the large volume of apps. It is scary because if people don't drop out and higher than average rates, the 2013 graduating class will have more attorneys by far than prior graduating classes. Even if the job market gets slightly better each year, we are in for a lot more pain than the 2010-2012 graduates. Then again, maybe I am just a doom and gloom person :p

I would guess schools will still take some transfer apps, though if they are over enrolled the acceptances might be fewer.

UFPilot

New

Post by UFPilot » Tue May 31, 2011 3:24 pm

BC,

Do you actually have a 4.0? Damn, congrats. Your grades are better than mine. haha

I'm also trying to transfer. Good luck.

-Another Section Y 1L from MC Law

spintk

New

Post by spintk » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:40 pm

update: I dropped below a 3.8, but it's all good. i still plan on applying to those three schools. should know something by the beginning of august.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”