Cooley transfer, just achieved a 3.5+ GPA at a T25 taking ?s Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sethc

Bronze

Re: Cooley transfer, just achieved a 3.5+ GPA at a T25 taking ?s

Post by sethc » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:41 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:TL;DR.

And that's coming from me, dude.
Allow me to paraphrase...

FIRST - @OP:
You're really cool. I'm really cool. Let's be friends.

FUCKING SOAPBOX RANT ABOUT TLS IN GENERAL AND NOT AIMED AT ANYONE SPECIFIC : (i.e. you're all guilty)

If you think I'm not cool, you're on notice...

You're all pathetic. Don't be mean on the internet, it's not nice . . . TLS is not a nice place and it makes me sadface . . . Something about the general public's understanding about law and how it's lots o' peoples' dream . . . Cooley gives everyone a chance to go to law school (which I can only infer OP thinks is everyone's birthright). HERE'S WHERE OP ALLUDES TO A LAW DEGREE AS A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT . . . Apologetically wraps up for bearing soul on interwebs.

Edited for ambiguity.

Not bad for the first trolling/flaming. Now, might I critique *your* response?

Paraphrased:

I read that word-for-word and found it impressive, but I can't find it in myself to treat someone else with respect and that's A-OKAY because it's an internet message board that should be taken with a level of seriousness comparable to 4chan.

Edited for boredom

sethc

Bronze

Post by sethc » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:42 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

FIRST - @OP:

FUCKING SOAPBOX RANT ABOUT TLS IN GENERAL AND NOT AIMED AT ANYONE SPECIFIC : (i.e. you're all guilty)

You're all pathetic. Don't be mean on the internet, it's not nice . . . TLS is not a nice place and it makes me sadface . . . Something about the general public's understanding about law and how it's lots o' peoples' dream . . . Cooley gives everyone a chance to go to law school (which I can only infer OP thinks is everyone's birthright). HERE'S WHERE OP ALLUDES TO A LAW DEGREE AS A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT . . . Apologetically wraps up for bearing soul on interwebs.

Edited for ambiguity.
Without lawyers, we would have Utopia.

Therefore, a high concentration of lawyers and prospective lawyers in one location...

Were you paraphrasing me/troll-flaming me or was that something else? Regardless I didn't take it as such and, to be honest, that's a pretty cool couple of lines if you came up with them on your own. Cheers. :)

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:49 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Without lawyers, we would have Utopia.

sethc

Bronze

Post by sethc » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:57 pm

--ImageRemoved--
I'm done threadjacking -- is patrickd139, bros???

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:11 am

sethc wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

FIRST - @OP:

Edited for ambiguity.

Not bad for the first trolling/flaming. Now, might I critique *your* response?

Paraphrased:

I read that word-for-word and found it impressive, but I can't find it in myself to treat someone else with respect and that's A-OKAY because it's an internet message board that should be taken with a level of seriousness comparable to 4chan.

Edited for boredom

I agree with Vanwinkle here. When I see a wall of text or a post as long as yours I rarely bother reading it. The only version of that massive post of yours I read was the one Patrick paraphrased.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:34 am

cahesu wrote:--ImageRemoved--
I still laugh while thinking about this quote... so much win

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:50 am

I have a serious question that I don't want to ask my friend who goes to Cooley for fear of an awkward conversation. What do the students at the school honestly think of the marketing materials, e.g. this ridiculous "analogy": http://www.cooley.edu/rankings/nfl_analogy.html ?

crockwell

New

Post by crockwell » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:52 pm

Nogameisfair wrote:I have a serious question that I don't want to ask my friend who goes to Cooley for fear of an awkward conversation. What do the students at the school honestly think of the marketing materials, e.g. this ridiculous "analogy": http://www.cooley.edu/rankings/nfl_analogy.html ?
This particular example of marketing material is definitely misleading. A more appropriate analogy would be to take the top 175 college football schools and see how many quarterbacks come out of them. I also find the analogy of playing any sport to practicing law questionable. Take it for marketing though. If it convinces more people that prestige is less important than it is a successful campaign, regardless of its merits. Cooley has some wonderful professors, and I have learned a lot from them. The marketing campaigns are not written by professors or students, and are not put up to a school vote of any sort. Our marketing and rankings are not a reflection of my intelligence (or lack thereof) or the quality of education here. I do doubt the "serious" nature of this question and I don't think your friend at Cooley would take any offense to it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:01 pm

crockwell wrote:This particular example of marketing material is definitely misleading. A more appropriate analogy would be to take the top 175 college football schools and see how many quarterbacks come out of them. I also find the analogy of playing any sport to practicing law questionable. Take it for marketing though. If it convinces more people that prestige is less important than it is a successful campaign, regardless of its merits. Cooley has some wonderful professors, and I have learned a lot from them. The marketing campaigns are not written by professors or students, and are not put up to a school vote of any sort. Our marketing and rankings are not a reflection of my intelligence (or lack thereof) or the quality of education here. I do doubt the "serious" nature of this question and I don't think your friend at Cooley would take any offense to it.
I actually was serious. I know it pisses me off when my school gets caught being deceptive (like our Dean Fernando in that recent NYT article). It just seems that Cooley is exceptionally deceptive. Is there a sense that students were "ripped off." Or does everyone seem to think that they went in with full knowledge of employment opportunities out of Cooley?

Regarding my friend, well we haven't really spoken about law school related things, so It would be awkward to randomly bring this up.

crockwell

New

Post by crockwell » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:20 pm

Nogameisfair wrote:
crockwell wrote:This particular example of marketing material is definitely misleading. A more appropriate analogy would be to take the top 175 college football schools and see how many quarterbacks come out of them. I also find the analogy of playing any sport to practicing law questionable. Take it for marketing though. If it convinces more people that prestige is less important than it is a successful campaign, regardless of its merits. Cooley has some wonderful professors, and I have learned a lot from them. The marketing campaigns are not written by professors or students, and are not put up to a school vote of any sort. Our marketing and rankings are not a reflection of my intelligence (or lack thereof) or the quality of education here. I do doubt the "serious" nature of this question and I don't think your friend at Cooley would take any offense to it.
I actually was serious. I know it pisses me off when my school gets caught being deceptive (like our Dean Fernando in that recent NYT article). It just seems that Cooley is exceptionally deceptive. Is there a sense that students were "ripped off." Or does everyone seem to think that they went in with full knowledge of employment opportunities out of Cooley?

Regarding my friend, well we haven't really spoken about law school related things, so It would be awkward to randomly bring this up.

Sorry, to doubt your sincerity. I'm not really sure how to answer your question, but most people here are somewhat aware of their job prospects. I don't think anyone here thinks they are getting "ripped off." I can speak for myself, not for others though. I would have had no chance at going to law school if it wasn't for Cooley (156 LSAT, 1.96 GPA). I'm in my second semester of 1L and I am in about the top 10%. I will be applying to T1 and T2 schools for transfer, and should be able to get into one of the many schools I apply to. Cooley is ideal for myself. Other people already have jobs lined up through nepotism, no matter where they get a JD from. Other people are planning on going to areas of the country that are not competitive for employment, so they shouldn't have a problem. Cooley has never represented itself to be a gateway to big law, so they are not really being dishonest. Cooley is actually a good value for anyone my situation, or the others I mentioned.

crockwell

New

Post by crockwell » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:49 pm

@nogameisfair: There was also a Cooley grad that I spoke with last month who ended up getting his LLM at Georgetown and is now working for King & Spalding (a V50 firm) in DC practicing international trade law. I thought you might find that particularly relevant.

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:50 pm

crockwell wrote: Sorry, to doubt your sincerity. I'm not really sure how to answer your question, but most people here are somewhat aware of their job prospects. I don't think anyone here thinks they are getting "ripped off." I can speak for myself, not for others though. I would have had no chance at going to law school if it wasn't for Cooley (156 LSAT, 1.96 GPA). I'm in my second semester of 1L and I am in about the top 10%. I will be applying to T1 and T2 schools for transfer, and should be able to get into one of the many schools I apply to. Cooley is ideal for myself. Other people already have jobs lined up through nepotism, no matter where they get a JD from. Other people are planning on going to areas of the country that are not competitive for employment, so they shouldn't have a problem. Cooley has never represented itself to be a gateway to big law, so they are not really being dishonest. Cooley is actually a good value for anyone my situation, or the others I mentioned.
Congrats on the transfer options and that's an interesting perspective Cooley. Sorry you guys get so much flack on here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crockwell

New

Post by crockwell » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:58 pm

Nogameisfair wrote:
crockwell wrote: Sorry, to doubt your sincerity. I'm not really sure how to answer your question, but most people here are somewhat aware of their job prospects. I don't think anyone here thinks they are getting "ripped off." I can speak for myself, not for others though. I would have had no chance at going to law school if it wasn't for Cooley (156 LSAT, 1.96 GPA). I'm in my second semester of 1L and I am in about the top 10%. I will be applying to T1 and T2 schools for transfer, and should be able to get into one of the many schools I apply to. Cooley is ideal for myself. Other people already have jobs lined up through nepotism, no matter where they get a JD from. Other people are planning on going to areas of the country that are not competitive for employment, so they shouldn't have a problem. Cooley has never represented itself to be a gateway to big law, so they are not really being dishonest. Cooley is actually a good value for anyone my situation, or the others I mentioned.
Congrats on the transfer options and that's an interesting perspective Cooley. Sorry you guys get so much flack on here.
Thank you. I'm always happy to have an honest discussion on the merits of Cooley. I believe that the OP is an impostor. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to field them. Cooley gets a lot of flack on here because it is misrepresented by people who don't attend Cooley, but find it humorous to impersonate an imbecile.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”