Cooley transfer, just achieved a 3.5+ GPA at a T25 taking ?s Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thecilent

Gold

Re: Cooley transfer, just achieved a 3.5+ GPA at a T25 taking ?s

Post by thecilent » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:58 am

Yeah I call flame a lot, but i believe you, mox! Congrats.

Mox

New

Post by Mox » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:00 am

At the lansing campus there is a huge picture of thomas cooley on the cooley center saying" law students must not forget they are fitting themselves to be ministers of justice." I'm hoping a Michigan State student can corroborate my statement and prove I am real.

Mox

New

Post by Mox » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:02 am

I've posted on Law School Discussion under the alias of Mr. Hart so you can check my posts there and see they match up with my story.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:02 am

Mox wrote:At the lansing campus there is a huge picture of Thomas Cooley on the cooley center saying" law students must not forget they are fitting themselves to be ministers of justice." I'm hoping a Michigan State student can corroborate my statement and prove I am real.
I still haven't decided if you are a flame or not. But just so you know, this would not prove anything because anyone can see that on a visit.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:03 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Mox wrote:At the lansing campus there is a huge picture of Thomas Cooley on the cooley center saying" law students must not forget they are fitting themselves to be ministers of justice." I'm hoping a Michigan State student can corroborate my statement and prove I am real.
I still haven't decided if you are a flame or not. But just so you know, this would not prove anything because anyone can see that on a visit.
I doubt many people visit cooley who arent for sure going. I grew up near the cooley a2 campus and me/none of my friends have ever step foot on their campus
Last edited by dr123 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mox

New

Post by Mox » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:04 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Who the hell visits Lansing that place is a nightmare.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:05 am

I'll go back to believing you... It's not that big of a deal if people don't believe you here. It's an internet forum - 9/10 posts result in you being made fun of.
What was the Cooley experience like?
Are the people there content? Anyone with decent jobs lined up?

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:06 am

dr123 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
I doubt many people visit cooley who arent for sure going
Granted. I was just saying it because it wasn't something only a Cooley attendee would know.

Mox

New

Post by Mox » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:09 am

$1.99 wrote:how do you deal with the degradation you feel when ppl snicker right after you tell them you are a cooley student
Well the jokes on them now isn't it. I'll never forget the time I went to a high school reunion party and I was talking to a kid in my graduating class who went to Tulane. He laughed right in my face when I told where I went to school. I made a promise to myself to transfer to a better school than he was at and suceed there. And that is just what I did.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:10 am

Mox wrote:
$1.99 wrote:how do you deal with the degradation you feel when ppl snicker right after you tell them you are a cooley student
Well the jokes on them now isn't it. I'll never forget the time I went to a high school reunion party and I was talking to a kid in my graduating class who went to Tulane. He laughed right in my face when I told where I went to school. I made a promise to myself to transfer to a better school than he was at and suceed there. And that is just what I did.
Okay that sounds like a soap opera. The scale just tipped back toward flame.

Mox

New

Post by Mox » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:13 am

rman1201 wrote:I'll go back to believing you... It's not that big of a deal if people don't believe you here. It's an internet forum - 9/10 posts result in you being made fun of.
The Cooley experience was insane. I saw some crazy stuff go down. Some people are content. Others hate it. Like just about everything at Cooley it varies. Most look at Cooley as another unranked school. Define decent. I never heard of any biglaw gigs. AND BTW, NOBODY BUYS INTO THE RANKINGS!!!!!!!

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:13 am

rman1201 wrote:I'll go back to believing you... It's not that big of a deal if people don't believe you here. It's an internet forum - 9/10 posts result in you being made fun of.

Kind of skimmed most of the posts in the last two pages. I will answer your question without the advantage of knowing exactly what this thread is about (the job prospects part).

Every ABA school has some success stories. These include people in T4 schools, even T4 schools with sub-T4 reputations like Cooley. With that said, one should be extremely careful when attending a T3/T4 school. Generally, unless you are getting a massive scholarship or a decent scholarship and attending one of the few T3s/T4s that place well in the region, attending a T3/T4 is a bad idea.

Should you attend Cooley? Maybe, if the following are true:

1. Substantial or full ride scholarship.
2. Inability to attend any higher ranked school.
3. Absolute passion to go to law school (ie. no reasonable alternatives)
4. Certainty that you want to work in the local legal community near Cooley.
5. Acceptance that Big Law / Clerking / Academia / etc are almost impossible (I am sure there are a few exceptions).

Disclaimer: Even if all of the above 5 was true, I would not go to Cooley (but subjectively it might make sense to a few)
Last edited by random5483 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:16 am

random5483 wrote:

Kind of skimmed most of the posts in the last two pages. I will answer your question without the advantage of knowing exactly what this thread is about (the job prospects part).

Every ABA school has some success stories. These include people in T4 schools, even T4 schools with sub-T4 reputations like Cooley. With that said, one should be extremely careful when attending a T3/T4 school. Generally, unless you are getting a massive scholarship or a decent scholarship and attending one of the few T3s/T4s that place well in the region, attending a T3/T4 is a bad idea.

5. Acceptance that Big Law / Clerking / Academia / etc are almost impossible (I am sure there are a few exceptions).

Disclaimer: Even if all of the above 5 was true, I would not go to Cooley (but subjectively it might make sense to a few)
I would add that

6. A relative will hire you. If 6 is true, and the salary will be upwards of 75,000, Cooley isn't a terrible option.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mox

New

Post by Mox » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:17 am

It wasn't a ten year reunion or anything like that. Just a get together a kid I went to school with arranged.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:18 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
random5483 wrote:

I would add that

6. A relative will hire you. If 6 is true, and the salary will be upwards of 75,000, Cooley isn't a terrible option.
7. already a professional in another field IN MICHIGAN and you're getting a JD to better prospects in your current field (I know a few success stories from cooley, being from mi, and this was the case with just about all of them)

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:19 am

Mox wrote:It wasn't a ten year reunion or anything like that. Just a get together a kid I went to school with arranged.
Yeah I realized that after I reread it.

I could see that happening. Great motivation.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:21 am

There are always success stories, but there are multiples more horror stories.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mox

New

Post by Mox » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:22 am

I figured most people would call flame because I feel my story is truly remarkable. How many kids do you know transfered from a school like cooley to a T25 and managed to as well as I did. I'm sorry if my posts come off as being a bit emo.

Mox

New

Post by Mox » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:23 am

ResolutePear wrote:There are always success stories, but there are multiples more horror stories.
I don't dispute that. I consider myself an anomaly and a realist.

Mox

New

Post by Mox » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:26 am

dr123 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
random5483 wrote:

I would add that

7. already a professional in another field IN MICHIGAN and you're getting a JD to better prospects in your current field (I know a few success stories from cooley, being from mi, and this was the case with just about all of them)
I knew a few kids in that boat. For them I feel Cooley was a good choice considering how much they had to pay with the scholly's they had.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:27 am

ResolutePear wrote:There are always success stories, but there are multiples more horror stories.
true and ive heard many more cooley horror stories than success, but none of the horror stories involved 40+ yearold successful career engineers who went to school parttime while working and graduating with no debt (thats what i was reffering to as a sucessful career professionals), and in cases as i described i think cooley is a fine choice

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mox

New

Post by Mox » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:28 am

How about some questions on my transfer experience.

Mox

New

Post by Mox » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:46 am

Come on. Lets keep this thread going.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:52 am

Mox wrote:Come on. Lets keep this thread going.
When you wear a watch, is it automatic, manual, or quartz movement on average?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:20 am

Mox wrote:
The Cooley experience was insane. I saw some crazy stuff go down. Some people are content. Others hate it. Like just about everything at Cooley it varies. Most look at Cooley as another unranked school. Define decent. I never heard of any biglaw gigs. AND BTW, NOBODY BUYS INTO THE RANKINGS!!!!!!!
--ImageRemoved--

Is this you OP?:
--LinkRemoved-- (video inside)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”