A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
paulinaporizkova

Re: Transferring out of U of C?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:It's only one anecdote but a guy who transferred from CCN to NU got screwed at OCI. Think twice. You may be fucking your job prospects.

aren't there many other things factoring into this besides transferring down a few notches? why would that fuck you over so much anyway? would people think you thought CCN was too hard so you were looking to dumb it down? maybe if you transferred from UChi to DePaul, but not to NU....?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:45 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:It's only one anecdote but a guy who transferred from CCN to NU got screwed at OCI. Think twice. You may be fucking your job prospects.

aren't there many other things factoring into this besides transferring down a few notches? why would that fuck you over so much anyway? would people think you thought CCN was too hard so you were looking to dumb it down? maybe if you transferred from UChi to DePaul, but not to NU....?

It's weird. Firms hire from lower in the class at CCN than NU. Again it could just be his grades at CCN were really bad. But then NU probably wouldn't have taken him.

Even if they treat this guy like a median Boalt student, median at Boalt is a crappy place to be ITE.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

It's weird. Firms hire from lower in the class at CCN than NU. Again it could just be his grades at CCN were really bad. But then NU probably wouldn't have taken him.

Even if they treat this guy like a median Boalt student, median at Boalt is a crappy place to be ITE.

ughghg....don't tell me that...

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
lawloser22 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
lawloser22 wrote:haha you guys are clearly not from the midwest. Also, note the reference to the quarter system, which I believe is only employed by UChi.

i am very much from the midwest

Sorry, not Chicagoland

Flame everyone in Chicagoland thinks the University of Chicago is the University of Illinois at Chicago.

C'mon guys:

U of C = University of Chicago
UIC = University of Illinois at Chicago
U of I = UIUC

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:46 pm

lawloser22 wrote:U of I = UIUC

I know a number of people who have gone to UIUC and I've never heard it called "U of I". It's always either "Illinois" or "UIUC".

Whatisthis

Postby Whatisthis » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:15 am

MrKappus wrote:
lawloser22 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Nothing in the yahoo transfer database or the TLS transfer forum suggests you have a snowballs chance in hell of transferring to Harvard or Stanford w/ median(ish) grades from Chicago. Think of this in the simplest possible terms. If median CCN qualified you for HS transfer, hundreds of soon-to-be 2L's from CCN alone would be eligible to move into the T3 every summer. In sunnier news, you're probably in the Berkeley ballpark.

Edited for clarity.

Presumably he has 2 more quarters to pull those grades up. I think top quarter might do it, though I can't recall seeing anyone make the move. Someone on here went Columbia to Yale and they were ~top 10% IIRC.

Haha um, yes, great point. If OP had said he's top 10% I would not have posted what I did. Also, I'm not a math whiz, but median to top quarter, let alone top 10%, would require to two semester's of reasonably stellar grades. First term's predictive of future performance, so unless OP wants to dig deep, even top 25% is a pretty lofty aspiration.

We only have two finals during fall, which amounts to about 1/6th of our total 1L GPA. So, there is a lot of potential for movement (up or down). I'd say, transfer to Stanford if you can, and you should have an opportunity to raise your grades to whatever you need (not saying that like it's easy).

On a side note, I've heard like 3 other people talk about transferring out and down. It seems like more people than usual are not feeling Chicago this year. I think you guys may be suffering from SAD or something, as the sun hasn't really made an appearance for weeks now. I'd wait until spring to make any large and final decision.

Anyhow, good luck!

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:20 am

vanwinkle wrote:

I know a number of people who have gone to UIUC and I've never heard it called "U of I". It's always either "Illinois" or "UIUC".

That's bc the potential for confusion is huge. Iowa/Idaho and god knows where else call themselves the same thing. Everyone who goes there calls it U of I.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:53 am

vanwinkle wrote:

I'm a grad. We call it all three. But to out of stater I'd avoid saying U of I because there are several I states. Since I graduated there has a been a push to just call it Illinois because apparently UIUC sounds trashier.

um ok

Postby um ok » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:09 am

Whatisthis wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
lawloser22 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Nothing in the yahoo transfer database or the TLS transfer forum suggests you have a snowballs chance in hell of transferring to Harvard or Stanford w/ median(ish) grades from Chicago. Think of this in the simplest possible terms. If median CCN qualified you for HS transfer, hundreds of soon-to-be 2L's from CCN alone would be eligible to move into the T3 every summer. In sunnier news, you're probably in the Berkeley ballpark.

Edited for clarity.

Presumably he has 2 more quarters to pull those grades up. I think top quarter might do it, though I can't recall seeing anyone make the move. Someone on here went Columbia to Yale and they were ~top 10% IIRC.

Haha um, yes, great point. If OP had said he's top 10% I would not have posted what I did. Also, I'm not a math whiz, but median to top quarter, let alone top 10%, would require to two semester's of reasonably stellar grades. First term's predictive of future performance, so unless OP wants to dig deep, even top 25% is a pretty lofty aspiration.

We only have two finals during fall, which amounts to about 1/6th of our total 1L GPA. So, there is a lot of potential for movement (up or down). I'd say, transfer to Stanford if you can, and you should have an opportunity to raise your grades to whatever you need (not saying that like it's easy).

On a side note, I've heard like 3 other people talk about transferring out and down. It seems like more people than usual are not feeling Chicago this year. I think you guys may be suffering from SAD or something, as the sun hasn't really made an appearance for weeks now. I'd wait until spring to make any large and final decision.

Anyhow, good luck!

As a U of C student who knows our grading system very well, I need to comment about the bolded part above and emphasize the NOT EASY part. With our tight curve, it's really not a walk in the park to do this. OP, just be realistic about it all. If 80% of your classmates get the median, you got around median first quarter, then the odds of HYS aren't enormously high. As one of the other previous posters said, if HYS took a good number of CCN's around median students, a ton of students would be trying it every year.

...Edited to add: Not to say it's impossible, just don't go apartment-hunting in Cambridge/Stanford quite yet.

Whatisthis

Postby Whatisthis » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:11 am

um ok wrote:As a U of C student who knows our grading system very well, I need to comment about the bolded part above and emphasize the NOT EASY part. With our tight curve, it's really not a walk in the park to do this. OP, just be realistic about it all. If 80% of your classmates get the median, you got around median first quarter, then the odds of HYS aren't enormously high. As one of the other previous posters said, if HYS took a good number of CCN's around median students, a ton of students would be trying it every year.

...Edited to add: Not to say it's impossible, just don't go apartment-hunting in Cambridge/Stanford quite yet.

I sorta LOLed as I wrote that, but I mean, the opportunity is there. I don't think it's ridiculous to try for that, if the OP is unhappy about where he's at. I think it would ridiculously arrogant to assume that one can plan to be in the top 10% (or whatever) of their class, but it does happen... people obviously do it.

Also, given that our curve is so tight, a few points above median could be substantial. Assuming the OP is at 178-179, that would put him at the top 1/3 - 1/4 of the class (not really sure about this?)

Anyways, I meant to say if he wanted it, he could still work for it. It may not be likely and it certainly won't be easy, but he's talking about transferring to Stanford, so of course it's not going to be easy!

Again, good luck to the OP!

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:55 am

Desert Fox wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

I'm a grad. We call it all three. But to out of stater I'd avoid saying U of I because there are several I states. Since I graduated there has a been a push to just call it Illinois because apparently UIUC sounds trashier.

Yep. I always called it U of I until I went out of state, upon which it became just "University of Illinois" because UIUC just confuses people. I've rarely heard people actually call it "Illinois", despite the push. Maybe the younger ones will.

Also, as a Chicago native, University of Chicago has always been U of C, sometimes UChicago, rarely UChi.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 am

I think, basically, OP fails to realize how slim his chances are of transferring to HYS, or for that matter, Berkeley. Berkeley probably considers itself a peer school of UC and is unlikely to take a median transfer. HYS are out of the picture unless you're at least top 25%, if not better.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:36 am

First quarter counts for no more than 15 percent of all grades. OP has plenty of time to make LR.

Note that you won't transfer to HS absent at least top quarter grades.

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:29 am

Desert Fox wrote:OP should learn to love NYC because that's where he should bid at OCI if he doesn't get his grades up.

This is correct.

A lot of it depends on your recs, too, OP. I know someone who was top 1/3 at MVP who transferred to HS, but this person had really good recs.

dcpolitico

Postby dcpolitico » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:58 am

DesertFox, you should delete your post. Some of us know that guy, and you portray his situation in a misleading light.

le_taon

Postby le_taon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:18 am

I just wanted to say there was one transfer that I know of out of U of C* last year, to HLS. She was not on Law Rev but as I understand it thought she would be rather close.

Assuming this is correct, and that she meant that she thought she might grade onto Law Review ... well Law Review grade-on is the top 10%. So you draw your own conclusions.

I don't know if anyone else tried unsuccessfully.

Just a data point. I think one thing that might help in your consideration was whether you were waitlisted at any HYS. If so, I think that will help.

*U of C, or among the more nerdier undergrads, U(C) (denoting the function U of C, like f(x)).

dcpolitico

Postby dcpolitico » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:36 am

le_taon wrote:*U of C, or among the more nerdier undergrads, U(C) (denoting the function U of C, like f(x)).

Still sounds like UFC (or *gasp* USC with a lisp).

BTW, f(x) is also stated "the image of x under f."
Ergo, U(C) denotes "the image of C under U."
/Just saying.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:31 pm

dcpolitico wrote:DesertFox, you should delete your post. Some of us know that guy, and you portray his situation in a misleading light.

Ok.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:42 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:I think, basically, OP fails to realize how slim his chances are of transferring to HYS, or for that matter, Berkeley. Berkeley probably considers itself a peer school of UC and is unlikely to take a median transfer. HYS are out of the picture unless you're at least top 25%, if not better.

Actually, schools take median transfers from peer schools all the time. Check out Yahoo Transfers site for more confirmation. There aren't many data points since that type of migration doesn't occur often but there are some examples of median transfers inside MPBV, all successful.

OP doesn't currently qualify for HS but to say that his shot at Berkeley is 'slim' is to overstate the matter.

Also want to LOL at the idea of Berkeley being UChi peer, just because I can. :P

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:19 pm

dresden doll wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:I think, basically, OP fails to realize how slim his chances are of transferring to HYS, or for that matter, Berkeley. Berkeley probably considers itself a peer school of UC and is unlikely to take a median transfer. HYS are out of the picture unless you're at least top 25%, if not better.

Actually, schools take median transfers from peer schools all the time. Check out Yahoo Transfers site for more confirmation. There aren't many data points since that type of migration doesn't occur often but there are some examples of median transfers inside MPBV, all successful.

OP doesn't currently qualify for HS but to say that his shot at Berkeley is 'slim' is to overstate the matter.

Also want to LOL at the idea of Berkeley being UChi peer, just because I can. :P

Not saying it isn't possible, just that I wouldn't put money on it. Berkeley obviously isn't in UC's league, but I'm willing to bet that the Adcomms think they are.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:48 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

Not saying it isn't possible, just that I wouldn't put money on it. Berkeley obviously isn't in UC's league, but I'm willing to bet that the Adcomms think they are.

I almost sort of doubt that. Some schools have a thing where they see themselves as peers of schools that by others might be considered superior, but I don't really think that Berkeley would hold itself to be a peer of Columbia or Chicago. Maybe NYU.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:58 pm

I say transfer out, if only to make room for my app.

But seriously, I would think with an above median GPA, a lateral transfer is the best you could hope for. Good luck.

Return to “Transfers”