Cooley to GULC

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lsltyf

Cooley to GULC

Postby lsltyf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:57 pm

I just finished my first semester at Cooley. I took 4 classes and finished with a 3.9 GPA and my class rate will shake out around the Top 1% to 3% of my class. I am thinking about applying to GULC for the early action transfer.

Is this a total pipe dream? What are my chances?

random5483

Re: Cooley to GULC

Postby random5483 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:04 pm

lsltyf wrote:I just finished my first semester at Cooley. I took 4 classes and finished with a 3.9 GPA and my class rate will shake out around the Top 1% to 3% of my class. I am thinking about applying to GULC for the early action transfer.

T4 to GULC is possible with a top 1-3% class rank. With that said there is a decent chance GULC (if you apply EA) will defer you and consider your application for regular admission. Hard to say for sure since some of the GULC admits, especially for EA, seems random.

If you maintain a top 1-3% rank after the year, you should send out apps to multiple T14 schools and T30 regional schools where you plan to work. Graduating from a T4 will hurt, and Cooley has one of the worst reps among the T4 schools.

T4 -> T14 transfers are possible. Cooley -> T14 transfers are possible as well. Not sure if you will face more scrutiny than another T4 applicant, but that should not preclude you from sending out apps.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:27 pm

random5483 wrote:
lsltyf wrote:I just finished my first semester at Cooley. I took 4 classes and finished with a 3.9 GPA and my class rate will shake out around the Top 1% to 3% of my class. I am thinking about applying to GULC for the early action transfer.

T4 to GULC is possible with a top 1-3% class rank. With that said there is a decent chance GULC (if you apply EA) will defer you and consider your application for regular admission. Hard to say for sure since some of the GULC admits, especially for EA, seems random.

If you maintain a top 1-3% rank after the year, you should send out apps to multiple T14 schools and T30 regional schools where you plan to work. Graduating from a T4 will hurt, and Cooley has one of the worst reps among the T4 schools.

T4 -> T14 transfers are possible. Cooley -> T14 transfers are possible as well. Not sure if you will face more scrutiny than another T4 applicant, but that should not preclude you from sending out apps.

Isn’t there something like 3,500 1Ls at Cooley? So that would put 35 students in the top 1%, and over a 100 students in the top 3%... Just looking at the fact that virtually everyone wants to transfer out of Cooley and the number of spots open makes me say it is very unlikely that top 1-3% have a good shot at transferring into the t14.

I’ve also heard there is a huge negative bias against taking cooley transfers anywhere, but particularly at t14 schools. Also, there’s some accreditation issue as well. It’s not the ABA accreditation, but there is some other accreditation that’s basically like a frat of law schools, which almost all the law schools are in, but most of those schools won’t take students from law schools that aren’t don’t have that accreditation, such as Cooley. Basically they auto-reject all Cooley law students (or any law students from a law school not that isn’t in that accreditation). It’s definitely something to look into OP before you start wasting money on applications to schools that aren’t even going to look at your app.

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:52 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
random5483 wrote:

Isn’t there something like 3,500 1Ls at Cooley? So that would put 35 students in the top 1%, and over a 100 students in the top 3%... Just looking at the fact that virtually everyone wants to transfer out of Cooley and the number of spots open makes me say it is very unlikely that top 1-3% have a good shot at transferring into the t14.

I’ve also heard there is a huge negative bias against taking cooley transfers anywhere, but particularly at t14 schools. Also, there’s some accreditation issue as well. It’s not the ABA accreditation, but there is some other accreditation that’s basically like a frat of law schools, which almost all the law schools are in, but most of those schools won’t take students from law schools that aren’t don’t have that accreditation, such as Cooley. Basically they auto-reject all Cooley law students (or any law students from a law school not that isn’t in that accreditation). It’s definitely something to look into OP before you start wasting money on applications to schools that aren’t even going to look at your app.

Unfortunately, the bolded ITCR. I know for a fact that Cooley is looked at differently than other T4's at certain t14's w/ regards to transfers. I am not saying don't do it, just saying that its going to be extremely tough. I know a dude who was top 1-2% there and the highest school he got into was a borderline school between t1-t2. Good luck though.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:05 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
random5483 wrote:

Are you talking about the Association of American Law Schools (AALS)? I know a few schools mention AALS membership as a requirement for transfer students. But most schools (including GULC I believe) do not specifically require AALS membership. Not sure if Cooley is part of the AALS, but many T4s are.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:38 am

random5483 wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
random5483 wrote:

Are you talking about the Association of American Law Schools (AALS)? I know a few schools mention AALS membership as a requirement for transfer students. But most schools (including GULC I believe) do not specifically require AALS membership. Not sure if Cooley is part of the AALS, but many T4s are.

I think that’s it (not sure though—I really can’t remember). The schools don’t say that AALS membership is required on their applications (probably because most ABA accredited law schools are also part of the AALS). But if you call them many will tell you that they won’t accept students from non-AALS law schools. If the AALS is what I am thinking about, Cooley is definitely not a part of it. There was some dude from Cooley who posted on here a year or two ago who said that he couldn’t get into a lot of schools because of that accreditation issue. I think his class rank was comparable to the OP’s, maybe a bit better.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:13 am

Bottom line, you won't know if you don't try. I I was top 3% at a t4 and I landed in the t14 and I applied to ~14 schools. Coming from a t4 it's very random. Just keep up the good grades and come up with some compelling reasons to want to be at a school. Also, apply as early as possible - like the first day the app is available.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:57 am

Lawl Shcool wrote:Bottom line, you won't know if you don't try. I I was top 3% at a t4 and I landed in the t14 and I applied to ~14 schools. Coming from a t4 it's very random. Just keep up the good grades and come up with some compelling reasons to want to be at a school. Also, apply as early as possible - like the first day the app is available.

Do you think this applies to EA GULC transfers as well? Their website says they don't make EA offers until May, so with a March 15 deadline, I presume that means that they do not admit on a rolling basis..

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:10 am

They tend to admit in waves. The biggest benefit IMO of GULC EA is that it forces you to get all your shit together early so you can apply to other schools the first day that the apps become available, which is very important coming from a t3/4 school.

Return to “Transfers”