#1 at T25. Advice would be appreciated.

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AdviceSeeker

#1 at T25. Advice would be appreciated.

Postby AdviceSeeker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:21 pm

Hey guys, as you can see from the thread title, I was pretty fortunate this last fall semester.

That being said, I'll be working hard to maintain a high level of performance, and have been entertaining the idea of transferring. Of course, my preference would be HYS - but I certainly haven't ruled out something below the trinity.

I've read the arrow thread and seen the Yahoo group, so I suppose I'm just looking for advice of those who have transferred or who know something about it. Do I have a shot at HYS? If so, should I take that shot, even if I somehow get some extra money from my school?

Thanks in advance for any input.

random5483

Re: #1 at T25. Advice would be appreciated.

Postby random5483 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:34 pm

You have a very good shot at H, and a chance at YS if you maintain your performance. If you don't want to risk lower grades next semester you could apply to Univ of Chicago's ED program with first semester grades and you will likwly get accepted (note this is binding).

Frankly, in your position, I would apply regular decision to HYS and maybe CCN. You options should be good whether you stay at your current school or transfer. HYS is definitely worth transferring to, but CCN is questionable given your school rank/performance so far.

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:57 pm

Last edited by solidsnake on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdviceSeeker

Postby AdviceSeeker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:05 pm

Thanks for the advice you guys - it's much appreciated.

Again, any other input that anyone has would be great.

On a related note: how prominently does one's LSAT score figure into transfer admissions? I realize this may sound silly, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Yes, you have a good shot (though obviously there are always exceptions).

Yes, if you are accepted, you should probably take it. Though you may get $$ from your current school, HYS all offer need-based aid to transfers. To me this makes it a no-brainer.

LSAT score is unlikely to matter, see the yahoo transferapps database for proof.

AdviceSeeker

Postby AdviceSeeker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:56 am

Bump.

Anybody else?

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:17 am

What are your goals? Biglaw? Clerkship? Academia?

You would be giving up a lot in terms of connections and support from your current school by transferring, so it might help to know what your ideal career path is.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:22 am

You should have a very good chance of being accepted as a transfer student to any law school to which you apply, in my opinion. The primary focus, however, should be on your reasons for considering transferring. What are the career opportunities for students in the top (1%) one percent at your current law school ? Where did the prior top ranked students at your law school end up ? Do you have strong faculty support for placement into a federal clerkship at your current school ? Where do you want to live & work ?

P.S. Your best resource may be VanWinkle since he transferred from T14 to Harvard and probably encountered similiar concerns.
As the poster above noted, you will be sacrificing a lot of relationships built during your first year; the importance of relationships increases in significance if you want to practice in the geographic area of your current law school.
Regardless of these considerations, apply & see what your options are.

Return to “Transfers”