Top 3% at a T2, transfer options? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mighttransfer

Bronze

Top 3% at a T2, transfer options?

Post by mighttransfer » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:52 pm

As the subject states, I am currently ranked in the top 3% at a T2 school on the east coast. I really enjoy the school but I am considering transferring in order to obtain improved employment prospects. In particular, I am interested in clerking [preferably federal] upon graduation. Ultimately I would like to practice law in VA, but I am certainly open to other options. I am currently working on a gulc ea app as I have been told that I have an excellent shot there. To that end, would GULC provide me with a greater chance at obtaining a federal clerkship than my current school? What other schools should I consider? Any chance at Chicago ED? Thanks for any feedback!

mighttransfer

Bronze

Re: Top 3% at a T2, transfer options?

Post by mighttransfer » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:27 pm

bump

uzpakalis

Bronze

Post by uzpakalis » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:02 pm

What school do you currently attend?

mighttransfer

Bronze

Post by mighttransfer » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:07 pm

I'd rather not say because forum lurkers might know who I am, but it is a well-respected east coast school ranking in the mid 80s [might give it away]

uzpakalis

Bronze

Post by uzpakalis » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:20 pm

mighttransfer wrote: [might give it away]
I think you did...

Yes, I would apply to GULC EA. It will give you more options than your current school. Do not be surprised if you get deferred, but you have a good shot.

Chicago EA, probably not. Most likely deferred, then MAYBE.

check this out http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... t=transfer

Again, these are just my opinions. Any school in the T14 will most likely give you greater opportunities to achieve your goals. However, you may have to weigh an acceptance against losing things like awesome class rank/law review/etc.

Also, what kind of scholarship, if any, do you currently have at your current school? An acceptance at another school will help you negotiate more money, as opposed to paying sticker at a T14 (45k a year at GULC).

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:27 pm

mighttransfer wrote:I'd rather not say because forum lurkers might know who I am, but it is a well-respected east coast school ranking in the mid 80s [might give it away]
Troll comment: :lol: at bolded. I'm not sure such a place exists.

Real comment: If that school is Richmond and you want to work in VA post-career, then you should give serious consideration to remaining at your current school, locking down LR, getting published, and cultivating professor relationships (all important for clerking post-grad).

Statistically, improving in your school from one ranked in the mid-80s to a T14 like GULC will increase your federal clerkship chances. Do you know why you want to clerk? (Serious question.)

I don't think you're a candidate for UChi ED, but you could probably apply with a straight face. Anecdotally, successful candidates for UChi ED tend to be those who would be competitive for YHS during the regular decision process. Scour the transferapps database and the UChi ED threads on here from last year to give you a better idea of your chances.

You seem to be in a pretty good position to nab at least one or two of the lower T14s during the RD process if you sustain your grades. If you raise them to top 1%, then you're competitive at probably all except YLS and maybe SLS (because of their small transfer classes). If you want to work in VA, target schools which send a majority of their grads in VA. This data (or at least a fudged, gamed version of this data) should be available from law schools' websites.

Congrats on your first semester grades!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”