My odds for GWU?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
pptmmt

My odds for GWU?

Postby pptmmt » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:18 pm

Does anybody here have experience with transferring from George Mason to George Washington?
1st year part-time student at George Mason, working full time, first semester GPA is 3.05. Since the school does not rank part-time student until the second year, I assume GWU will look at my GPA. Does anyone know if there is firm requirements on GPA for transferring to GWU? Any input is appreciated.

UCLAtransfer

Re: My odds for GWU?

Postby UCLAtransfer » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:58 pm

I would be very surprised if a 3.05 put you much higher than the median.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but median as a part-time student likely isn't gonna get you into GWU as a transfer. I would imagine it would be quite easy for GWU to fill its transfer class with T2 people who didn't quite make it into the T14 (who were in the top 15-20% of their classes). I don't want to discourage you from applying, because if it is something you are really interested in you might as well send in an app, but unless you can bring your GPA up significantly I wouldn't think there is much of a chance.

Is there some particular reason you want to try to move from George Mason to GWU, or just interested in it as a little bit higher ranked school in DC?

thexfactor

Re: My odds for GWU?

Postby thexfactor » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:33 am

pptmmt wrote:Does anybody here have experience with transferring from George Mason to George Washington?
1st year part-time student at George Mason, working full time, first semester GPA is 3.05. Since the school does not rank part-time student until the second year, I assume GWU will look at my GPA. Does anyone know if there is firm requirements on GPA for transferring to GWU? Any input is appreciated.

you need to bust ass this semester to have any hope of transferring to GW. You prob need at least top 1/3 to be competitive. Even if you do make it to GW, it is still very hard to get a job. Transferring to a non t18 school doesn't help you a lot for OCI. Honestly, it seems that the people who get jobs as a transfer were going to get jobs anyways at their old school.
You are "out" right now at GW or schools similar to GW. You don't really have anything to lose. Work like you will be shot if you don't get a 4.0 this semester.

Return to “Transfers”