logistics of transferring out of the area

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
katekate

logistics of transferring out of the area

Postby katekate » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:45 pm

I'm considering transferring but I have a huge hesitation about the timing. I have a roommate at my current school, and plan on living with her next year. Transfer admissions seem to come in late July... I would basically be screwing over my roommate if I up and moved a few weeks before classes start. Any thoughts/suggestions about this problem?

megaTTTron

Re: logistics of transferring out of the area

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:19 pm

katekate wrote:I'm considering transferring but I have a huge hesitation about the timing. I have a roommate at my current school, and plan on living with her next year. Transfer admissions seem to come in late July... I would basically be screwing over my roommate if I up and moved a few weeks before classes start. Any thoughts/suggestions about this problem?

talk to her ahead of time so she know's is a possibility.

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:24 pm

I'm also having this problem in regards to summer jobs. I think i'm going to try to do two six-week programs and finish just before 8/1, I'm just not sure how possible it's going to be when some programs start mid-May...

LogosEther

Postby LogosEther » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:14 pm

katekate wrote:I'm considering transferring but I have a huge hesitation about the timing. I have a roommate at my current school, and plan on living with her next year. Transfer admissions seem to come in late July... I would basically be screwing over my roommate if I up and moved a few weeks before classes start. Any thoughts/suggestions about this problem?

Yeah, I'd give your roommate the heads-up first. Then if it does happen, advertise the room on your school's incoming students' facebook page, see if the school will let you put up ads, and if things really don't work out, put ads out on campus for undergrads (this is a last resort). I remember when I started 1L, there was a frenzy of other 1Ls looking for "good places". All you need to do is say "my place is close to the school, it's a good deal, and you'll have a nice law school roommate." Sold.

It sucks for your roommate, but you'll try to find the nicest person to take your spot. In the end, if your roommate is at all rational, she will acknowledge that you changing schools is a legit excuse and more important than your stupid apartment, yeah?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:54 pm

Usually all the tenants have to sign the lease so that means you're liable under it. You would be screwing both of you over b/c you're still liable even if you move for a different school.

katekate

Postby katekate » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:59 pm

ran12 wrote:Usually all the tenants have to sign the lease so that means you're liable under it. You would be screwing both of you over b/c you're still liable even if you move for a different school.

Um well yeah.. but I was assuming that I would find someone to take over my lease... not just ditch and get out of there...

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Return to “Transfers”