Bottom of T1 to T14?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Gordon Comstock

Bottom of T1 to T14?

Postby Gordon Comstock » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:26 am

My grades just came back with straight A-s. Looking at the curves from previous years, that should put me just outside of the top 10%. My school is at the bottom of the first tier (around 48); I read Arrow's advice for transferring, but it's hard to figure out where exactly I fall between what he thinks T1 and T2 students need. Any thoughts?

thexfactor

Re: Bottom of T1 to T14?

Postby thexfactor » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:46 am

Gordon Comstock wrote:My grades just came back with straight A-s. Looking at the curves from previous years, that should put me just outside of the top 10%. My school is at the bottom of the first tier (around 48); I read Arrow's advice for transferring, but it's hard to figure out where exactly I fall between what he thinks T1 and T2 students need. Any thoughts?

First for some good news. Congrats! you did very well this semester.

For the bad news. You will prob not be able to transfer to any school better than WUSTL if you maintain the same class rank 2nd semester. The transfer game has really changed in the past year or so. My friend was top 6% at a t50 and did not get in anywhere in the t14. He didnt apply to ucla/vandy etc though.

Work as hard as you can this semester. Don't get lazy. Now is the time to really turn on the jets. The difference in terms of recruiting for transfers at UCLA/vandy/t14 is night and day better than at emory/wustl etc. Your future depends on it!

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:09 am

I read that Northwestern loves transfers. Definitely apply to the entire t 14 and pray. Cal seems also to like transfers.

Gordon Comstock

Postby Gordon Comstock » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully busting my ass a little more will help me figure out how to go from A-s to As. Does it help my changes with one of the T14s that my school is located right nearby? Is there anything else other than studying I should be doing at this point, or is everything really that inconsequential after the class rank?

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:18 pm

TLS wisdom suggests that if you're going from American to Georgetown this does increase your chances a little bit. Many of the T14 do like to to take the best students from competing schools in their market. I think you have at least a 40-50% chance with your current grades if this is the move you're trying to make.

Gordon Comstock

Postby Gordon Comstock » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:08 pm

lawloser22 wrote:TLS wisdom suggests that if you're going from American to Georgetown this does increase your chances a little bit. Many of the T14 do like to to take the best students from competing schools in their market. I think you have at least a 40-50% chance with your current grades if this is the move you're trying to make.

That's exactly the move I'm looking at. I can imagine going EA can help, and what I found on the yahoo database seems to indicate that that's about what my chances are. Would taking a tour and trying to meet with someone in admissions help? I don't know much about transfer applicants doing that kind of stuff.

Return to “Transfers”