T14 chances? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ndirish2010

Gold

T14 chances?

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:32 pm

I'm perfectly happy where I am but I just wanted to get some idea of whether any of the T14 would be possible if I did decide to send out any applications. I finished with a 3.467 this semester at Notre Dame (I don't think there are too many of us on TLS anyway), but we don't rank so it's hard to figure out where that places in the class. From the numbers I've seen, it's likely around top 25% (the median for the 1L class last fall was 3.19). I would love to go to Chicago (they were my first choice throughout my application cycle), but I know that's pretty much out of reach. The only other schools I would leave here to go to are probably Michigan or Northwestern. Would I have any chances at those if I raised my GPA to, say, around a 3.55 after next semester?

patrickd139

Gold

Re: T14 chances?

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Top 1/4 at ND doesn't net you market rate in Chicago any more? :shock: I could understand not getting V10 or whatever, but yikes!

I don't have any insight into your quandary other than to direct you towards Arrow and megaTTTron's posts, and the transferapps database on yahoo. Would you be giving up significant scholarships at ND?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:03 am

It may, but it's a lot more tenuous than it used to be obviously. I would like to get a federal clerkship upon graduation and that's pretty close to impossible with my grades at ND (assuming I continue on a similar path, though I guess it could be if I improved). I'm pretty sure I won't transfer but those three schools are very attractive to me (I'm not just trying to go for any T14). I'd be giving up $20K per year here.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:20 am

As long as there are no stipulations with that scholarship, it would take an acceptance at UChi for me to leave, personally. Of course, if you're in state for Michigan that might change things. Keep in mind that Northwestern appears to require work experience for the transfer process, too. Not sure how/if that affects your decision.

To answer your question, you might have a shot at those schools, and it would certainly increase your chances if you increase your GPA. Now whether it would be worth giving up $20k/yr for marginally increased job prospects, a hectic move, leaving a place you actually like, and having to start over building contacts with professors (apparently a huge part in the clerkship game, btw)?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:48 am

All good points. I really, really want Chicago (I almost feel like I have to be there to have any shot at the 7th Circuit). I figured that might be the case about NU, so I can scratch that off my list (I'm straight through from UG). I will probably end up sending an application to Chicago if I can increase my GPA at all, I'll have to decide on Michigan later (I'm not in-state, actually from the East Coast but I am set on practicing in the Midwest.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:36 am

ndirish2010 wrote:I'm perfectly happy where I am but I just wanted to get some idea of whether any of the T14 would be possible if I did decide to send out any applications. I finished with a 3.467 this semester at Notre Dame (I don't think there are too many of us on TLS anyway), but we don't rank so it's hard to figure out where that places in the class. From the numbers I've seen, it's likely around top 25% (the median for the 1L class last fall was 3.19). I would love to go to Chicago (they were my first choice throughout my application cycle), but I know that's pretty much out of reach. The only other schools I would leave here to go to are probably Michigan or Northwestern. Would I have any chances at those if I raised my GPA to, say, around a 3.55 after next semester?
I think you are on the border for michshitgan and northwastern. Also apply to Vandy,ucla and the rest of the upper t14.

Like a basketball team at halftime, figure out where you made the mistakes and make the proper adjustments. Study like it is a life and death situation!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:20 pm

I have no interest in leaving ND for any other T30 schools or even most of the T14 (obviously, I would be fine with HYS but they are out of the question with my GPA). Do you think I would be on the border for Michigan and NU now, or if I were to raise my GPA up to close to the top 10%? Not even sure if I would leave for one of them due to money issues, but I would probably send an app anyway.

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Without good softs, you will be dinged at T14s.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:57 pm

pandacot wrote:Without good softs, you will be dinged at T14s.
Please disregard this. I had no "good softs" and did fine. Most of the other transfers on this board will likely echo this sentiment.

I'm never going to be one to tell another that something simply cannot be done, but your chances of landing a 7th Cir. clerkship are asymptotically approaching zero with your grades as is. I don't know if transferring to UChi or NU is going to make that happen. The 7th Cir. is historically one of the most (the most?) competitive circuits in the nation. I would imagine it would take at least top 1/4 (and I'm guessing much higher) at UChi and NU to land it. Statistically speaking, considering your grades at ND, I wouldn't bank on doing that if a) you were admitted and b) you were competing with those school's students.

Again, not saying it won't happen, but don't get your hopes up either, OP.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:42 pm

Agreed, it's definitely a long shot, but you have to have some goals, right? I think I'll just see what happens second semester and then make a decision from there. I may bump this post at that point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”