Out of Rutgers, into... ?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Out of Rutgers, into... ?

Postby jaydee2013 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:21 am

Last edited by jaydee2013 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Out of Rutgers, into... ?

Postby thexfactor » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:57 pm

jaydee2013 wrote:Grades just finished posting here at Rutgers - Camden, and I'm pretty happy overall. 3.5gpa: A- in Torts, Legal Writing, and Contracts. Solid B in Civil Procedure.

Rutgers - Camden doesn't rank students, and won't be releasing honors designations (and the corresponding GPA cutoffs) for another month. However, a 3.5gpa is probably somewhere at the 20th percentile based on how the grade distributions looked for each individual course. There is currently no "official" mean GPA at Rutgers, but the "strongly encouraged" mean GPA range is a 3.0-3.10.

Assuming I can keep my 1st year cum gpa at, or around, a 3.5gpa, and assuming that this is somewhere around the 20% mark (+/- a few points, of course)... thoughts on transferring to:

I've done a small amount of research, and these schools all seem to take a comparatively high amount of transfer applicants than peer schools. At this early stage, I'm just crafting a list of schools that aren't too out of reach. Finally, this is my first post, but I've read the key posts on this forum for transfer students... I'm just hoping for some anecdotal advice, or guesses about someone with my 1L profile and ~80th ranked school transferring to schools in the top 10 -> 25 range.

You will get into WUSTL/Emory/UIUC if you are in the top 25%
To get in better than WUSTL you will need to be in the lower single digits in terms of class rank or whatever comparable gpa that is if your school doesn't rank. Employment wise, there is a huge diff between going to wustl/emory/uiuc vs ucla georgetown vandy. Work hard and good luck. Now is not the time to slack off. You can slack off next year when you get a biglaw SA position. :)

Re: Out of Rutgers, into... ?

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:32 pm

OP, I am a 1L at your school and am worried about getting into schools like Penn with over a 3.8 first semester GPA. I do think you've got shot at the WUSTL/UIUC-type schools at top 20%. For the T14, you really need to be top 5-10% at minimum (and even then, there is no guarantee). Try checking out the Yahoo transferring apps group for more insight.

Return to “Transfers”