Transfer chances and suggestions from a T3

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
zomginternets

Transfer chances and suggestions from a T3

Postby zomginternets » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:10 pm

I just finished my first semester at a T3, and managed to do pretty well: 3.91 GPA (3.0 median) (class rank has not come out yet). Assuming 2nd semester goes similarly well, what schools do people think are worth the transfer application fee? I'm mainly interested in California (either LA or SF) and NYC, but open to Chicago and Boston too. Are T14 schools too much of a stretch?
Last edited by zomginternets on Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

random5483

Re: Transfer chances and suggestions from a T3

Postby random5483 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:22 pm

A 3.91 in a 3.0 median school should place you near the top. Probably top 1-2%. You should have a reasonable chance at many of the T14 schools. If you maintain your performance you should have a decent shot at Berkeley as well. Outside of HYS, you probably stand a chance at most T14 schools. If you send applications out to various T14 schools (with similar Spring grades) you should get at least one or two admits.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:29 pm

random5483 wrote:A 3.91 in a 3.0 median school should place you near the top. Probably top 1-2%. You should have a reasonable chance at many of the T14 schools. If you maintain your performance you should have a decent shot at Berkeley as well. Outside of HYS, you probably stand a chance at most T14 schools. If you send applications out to various T14 schools (with similar Spring grades) you should get at least one or two admits.

Cosigned. Do some research and figure out if you prefer UChi for some reason. If you do, ED to Chi. If not, keep it up second semester and you're likely in at multiple T14s. If you want LA or SF, I'd send out apps to UCLA and USC as well. Congrats on the grades!

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:52 pm

Where is your t3? t14 schools are more likely to accept "local" lower tiered schools. For example, if you in CA, you have a good shot at Berkeley. If your in NY, you could find your way into CLS/NYU. In the Chi area, UChi or Northwestern are possible.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys. My school is in CA. It is tempting to ED at Chicago to take the pressure off 2nd semester, but just not that set on Chicago (the city) to justify an ED app.

As far as cities that I want to practice in, my order of preference is: NYC>LA>SF>Chicago>Boston. Excluding HYS, my T14 'wish list' would be (again, order of preference): CLS>NYU>Boalt>UChicago>Northwestern>Cornell>GULC (not really interested in any of the others). UCLA and USC would be great schools to transfer to as well, though I'm not sure where on my list they would fall. Honestly I didn't really think I had a chance at any of these schools coming from a T3, but it's very encouraging to hear that you guys think I have a chance!

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:18 pm

I was at a t4 in CA last year and transfered to Boalt. Keep your grades up and apply early, you have a shot.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:26 pm

zomginternets wrote:Thanks for the kind words guys. My school is in CA. It is tempting to ED at Chicago to take the pressure off 2nd semester, but just not that set on Chicago (the city) to justify an ED app.

As far as cities that I want to practice in, my order of preference is: NYC>LA>SF>Chicago>Boston. Excluding HYS, my T14 'wish list' would be (again, order of preference): CLS>NYU>Boalt>UChicago>Northwestern>Cornell>GULC (not really interested in any of the others). UCLA and USC would be great schools to transfer to as well, though I'm not sure where on my list they would fall. Honestly I didn't really think I had a chance at any of these schools coming from a T3, but it's very encouraging to hear that you guys think I have a chance!

Transferring from a T3 or T4 can be harder because you have little room for error (higher class rank required). But most T14 schools do accept transfers and based on the numbers posted here from previous years a high ranked T3/T4 transfer can be competitive. As the previous poster mentioned, make sure you apply early.

Also, you could consider the Early Action GULC application. Unlike the UChicago program, the GULC EA is not binding. No guarantees you will get in (good chance they will defer), but if they accept you, you will might be more relaxed while waiting for decisions from your higher choice schools.

Return to “Transfers”