. Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
adude

New

Post by adude » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:48 am

Last edited by adude on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LogosEther

Bronze

Re: T2 (80s) to HYSCCNB

Post by LogosEther » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:52 am

I don't know from personal experience, but I've read quite a bit about transferring.

My guess is that if you apply to all 7 schools and think of good reasons/connections to those schools for your application, then you'd get into at least one of them.

As for scholarships from your new transfer school, almost definitely not, sorry.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:59 am

The best scholarship at your school (in the 80s) only brings tuition down to $18K? That's rough.

I'm not aware of anyone getting merit-based financial aid from their transfer school. I can see no reason why you shouldn't apply--maybe even blanket the T13--and see what you can get.

There is transfer data available on a Yahoo groups site--I can give you the URL if you don't already have it--but it's really just a large collection of anecdotes. HYS are (predictably) very hard to get, but there's a steep drop-off at CCN, and who knows beyond that.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:08 am

Lol at "T7"

OP should be in at CCN down. I'd recommend ED to Chicago to maximize schools negotiations at your current school if you're that debt-averse. Only HLS appears to offer scholarship money to transfers, and IIRC, it's the career-limiting type OP expressly is not interested in. Congrats on crushing it first semester, enjoy CCN!

T7... :lol: :lol:

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:09 am

patrickd139 wrote:Lol at "T7"

OP should be in at CCN down. I'd recommend ED to Chicago to maximize schools negotiations at your current school if you're that debt-averse. Only HLS appears to offer scholarship money to transfers, and IIRC, it's the career-limiting type OP expressly is not interested in. Congrats on crushing it first semester, enjoy CCN!

What is CCN? I've only heard of CCNB.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:12 am

CCNB should be reachable. I'd recommend you try a few of the lower T14 schools just to be safe. All this is if you perform similarly again.

HYS are very hard to get into outside of a T14 or maybe a T1 school. Yale and Stanford take very few transfers, most of whom are at the top of their classes in T14 schools. Harvard is known to take people at the top 1-2% of there class in lower T1 schools, but rarely from a T2. You might have an outside shot at Harvard (basically you would need a repeat performance and maybe a small miracle), but Yale and Stanford are almost definitely going to reject you.

With that said, CCNB will likely admit you if you remain in the top 5% or better. Many T14 schools will likely admit you if you remain in the top 10% or so.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:13 am

flcath wrote:

CCNB = CCN + (B)erkeley.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:14 am

flcath wrote:

CCN is where people who want east coast biglawl go ;)

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:45 pm

random5483 wrote:Harvard is known to take people at the top 1-2% of there class in lower T1 schools, but rarely from a T2.
This is true, but they do at least occasionally take T2 students, and they're almost universally people in the top 1% where OP says he is now. If OP can maintain his GPA/rank, he has enough of a chance to be worth an app fee this summer, at least.

(My point is basically that I agree odds are low, but trying to point out it's not so low that it's not worth the app fee.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:17 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
random5483 wrote:Harvard is known to take people at the top 1-2% of there class in lower T1 schools, but rarely from a T2.
This is true, but they do at least occasionally take T2 students, and they're almost universally people in the top 1% where OP says he is now. If OP can maintain his GPA/rank, he has enough of a chance to be worth an app fee this summer, at least.

(My point is basically that I agree odds are low, but trying to point out it's not so low that it's not worth the app fee.)

Agreed, it is definitely worth sending an app.

AcesandEights

New

Post by AcesandEights » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:39 pm

patrickd139 wrote:OP should be in at CCN down.
This is a tad overly optimistic. I was the OP a few cycles ago (nearly exactly--school rank, class rank, scholarship, and all) after my 1L year. Got into one of CCN, rejected at one, and withdrew my app at another when I got into the more convenient MVPB for my ultimate location preference.

You'll have a solid shot at many of the T14, of course. Out of the schools you mentioned, I'd say you have an amazing chance at B and respectable chances at CCN. Middling chances at HYS, but certainly not low enough to forgo applying. Just take caution, though; transfer admissions are rather difficult to predict. I was rejected from one of the lower T14 despite LORs from alumni and compelling location ties. You just never know what will happen, and I'd wager that unpredictability has gotten worse in cycles more recent than mine. Apply broadly to any schools you'd be willing to attend within the T14.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:16 am

random5483 wrote:
flcath wrote:

CCNB = CCN + (B)erkeley.
sarcasm fail

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”