Upper T2 to Hastings or Davis?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Jchouu

Upper T2 to Hastings or Davis?

Postby Jchouu » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:05 pm

Grades just came out, I did not do anywhere near as well as I thought.

I want to transfer to Hastings or Davis (preferably Hastings so I can just take BART and commute, and save some money).

I know I'm mostly asking for speculation, but what do you guys think I need to pull? top half? Top third?

It'd be ~10 rank jump

general info:
I was on the waitlist at Davis first time around
I was rejected from Hastings

Cade McNown

Re: Upper T2 to Hastings or Davis?

Postby Cade McNown » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:11 pm

Jchouu wrote:Grades just came out, I did not do anywhere near as well as I thought.

I want to transfer to Hastings or Davis (preferably Hastings so I can just take BART and commute, and save some money).

I know I'm mostly asking for speculation, but what do you guys think I need to pull? top half? Top third?

It'd be ~10 rank jump

general info:

IMO, Davis has the better rep among CA litigators. It is also more selective and frankly probably just a better school. Cheaper too?
I'd say top third for a shot at Hastings, top 20% for Davis. Transferring aint that easy, even if you're not making that big of a jump.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:24 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
Jchouu wrote:Grades just came out, I did not do anywhere near as well as I thought.

It'd be ~10 rank jump

general info:

IMO, Davis has the better rep among CA litigators. It is also more selective and frankly probably just a better school. Cheaper too?
I'd say top third for a shot at Hastings, top 20% for Davis. Transferring aint that easy, even if you're not making that big of a jump.

Care to expand?

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Cade McNown wrote:

It'd be ~10 rank jump

general info:

Really? In what part of the state?

Edit: I just mean that I really wonder if this is the case in the Bay area.

stonepeep

Postby stonepeep » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:58 am

Cade McNown wrote:IMO, Davis has the better rep among CA litigators. It is also more selective and frankly probably just a better school. Cheaper too?

Uh, what? I have never heard that Davis has a better reputation among CA litigators so I'd be interested to hear your evidence for that proposition. Davis is definitely not more selective and is definitely more expensive than Hastings in terms of tuition.

The only people who seriously argue that Davis is better than Hastings, or vice versa, are people who take the US News rankings too seriously. By all accounts and available statistics, they are equal except in two regards: location and class size.

Sorry, I know that's not very helpful with regards to the transfer question, but unfortunately I don't know the answer to that one. I just hate it when people troll about one of the schools somehow being clearly superior to the other.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:17 am

It'd be ~10 rank jump

general info:

Upper T2 with scholarship > Davis or Hastings at sticker. In your shoes, I would use an acceptance into Davis or Hastings to get a scholarship (or increase scholarship) at your current school. Transferring involves losing your gpa/rank, law review (possibly), contacts, etc. Unless you make a bigger jump (ex. T14 schools) or are going to a school in another region and want to work in California, you probably should not transfer.

Jchouu

Postby Jchouu » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:54 am

my main reasoning is that I want to go to a more diverse school than the one i go to.
i'm just not that happy at my current one,

i'm right at the middle right now, so I'd basically have to boost it up to ~top 25% to get either hastings/davis?

Also my good friend and roommate from college just got a full ride to hastings, and I'd love to go to school w/ him again.

I know it's kind of sad reasoning, but any other responders, please give me whatever input you think, and what your "qualifications" are

Return to “Transfers”