What kind of GPA is needed for lateral transfers? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lennie

New

What kind of GPA is needed for lateral transfers?

Post by Lennie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:02 pm

I'm a 1L at a state law school ranked in the top 40 (not really sure what "tier" that puts it in), and I'm considering a transfer for mostly geographic and cultural reasons, specifically with an eye towards the east coast or the northwest. I'm not a biglaw type and not terribly concerned about rank, so I'm looking at schools in either area that are ranked in the same range as the one I'm at. I've heard that you need to be at the top of your class to transfer up, but does the same thing apply to lateral transfers?

If it's any indication, my first-semester GPA is a 3.52 at a school with a B+ median. We haven't been told our rank yet.

Orko

New

Re: What kind of GPA is needed for lateral transfers?

Post by Orko » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:59 pm

I would call the prospective schools and ask the admissions personnel about it. Somebody here can probably chime in with a better answer, but you'll get the requirements and deadlines and any tips with just a few calls. Good luck.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”