Give up full scholarship at T30 for Chicago ED?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
traehekat

Give up full scholarship at T30 for Chicago ED?

Postby traehekat » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Just wanted to get some general opinions on this. I've asked a few people through PMs but I figure some more advice couldn't hurt.

I have a full scholarship at a T30 and I finished my first semester with a 3.87, which should put me somewhere in the top 5-10% range, possibly higher (traditionally 3.67-3.69 is the cutoff for top 12.5%). I want the opportunity to work in a large firm in Chicago (that is where I've spent pretty much my whole life), and my school typically places SOME students in Chicago, but with the economy it is getting tougher and tougher and I feel like transferring to UChicago might be a wise move. I would ED because I feel like only the T6 is worth transferring to for me, don't want to be in NY, and I don't think I have a shot at HYS.

The issue is the scholarship. I'd be paying an extra 100k or so if I transfer.

1. What are my chances, given I grew up there and want to work there?
2. Is it worth giving up the scholarship?

Thanks all.

megaTTTron

Re: Give up full scholarship at T30 for Chicago ED?

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:11 am

EDIT: see my PM from earlier, lol. Just remembered you. I'll let some others advise.

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:35 am

i would do it.

you seem pretty set and sure on working at a large firm in chicago and if transferring to chicago can substantively increase your chances of that, for $100K i would do it. the money can be recouped, especially if you carry out the large firm in chicago part of this.

can't really say much about chances

hope this helps

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:21 pm

traehekat wrote:I have a full scholarship at a T30 and I finished my first semester with a 3.87, which should put me somewhere in the top 5-10% range, possibly higher (traditionally 3.67-3.69 is the cutoff for top 12.5%).

Will you eventually get a class rank? Without knowing your exact grading curve, my guess is that you are actually well within the top 5%. Personally, I'd wait another semester and shoot for HYS in your position. Even if you keep the same grades after 2nd semester, you should have a good shot at UChi (assuming you are within the top 5%, which I suspect a 3.87 is). Chicago is a tough market, but I think you still have a shot with your grades from your t30 (at a minimum you will be above any grade cutoff the chicago firms that hire from your school have, meaning if you don't get chicago biglaw, it wasn't because of grades).

Just don't get excessively lazy and let your grades drop second semester (but if that happens, UChi can withdraw it's acceptance anyways, so there's no true comfort in ED'ing to UChi, like there would be if the acceptance was binding on them).

Return to “Transfers”